Just Engaged and Proposals

Recently Engaged! Long Wait for Wedding, Though

So I recently got engaged this labor day (glee!!!!) and my FI and I decided to wait until October of 2016. I still have to finish school (I'll be done in 2015 with my bachelors) and we want to save up to buy a home together. Since it's a 3 year engagement, is there anything that I can actually do now? I know my style will probably change a year before the wedding, so I'm just browsing this site and pinterest for ideas. I've read horror stories about BM's on here, so I'm waiting a couple years go choose them. 

I'm just so excited that I want to do something, but can't really book anything or buy anything since this change. Is there anything that I can actually do in the mean time? The FI is excited for the wedding, but letting me do the research for now.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
Funny Awkward animated GIF

Re: Recently Engaged! Long Wait for Wedding, Though

• Set a budget and start by listing your VIPs for a guest list. That will let you know how much you'll be able to spend and give you a really long time to save up. Congratulations and happy planning!
  • Ohh VIP list, good idea! I'm making a guest list now for the engagement party my parents are planning, so that's a good start. Thank you for the reply!!
  • Yep, and remember that everyone invited to the engagement party has to be invited to the wedding. Enjoy!
  • That sounds awesome! I have been trying to find other brides to be that have long engagements for ideas of what to do. I don't want to NOT do anything for a while, then suddenly get rushed and have to get dresses and a venue and flowers, etc etc etc. I didn't know venues did installments, that sounds awesome. I should ask that when I look around!
  • You understand!! AHHH!! Thank you!!!! I am constantly looking around for ideas and pinning things to my Pinterest boards. My mom made a Pinterest board for wedding ideas and decorations. It's nice to see other bride's ideas and photos, and I have a binder that I bought with an ideas page I created for magazine clippings and other jotted down ideas. It just seems like a good idea to write things down as they come so I can remember
  • Lucky!! My fiance keeps saying "Isn't the first few months just enjoying the engagement? No wedding talk?" I have been going to bridal expo's and getting wedding magazines for months now. He doesn't want to hear the wedding talk, but thankfully my sister in law is talking about it as much as I am so I have someone to gush about it with!
  • Kelcita21 said:
    Lucky!! My fiance keeps saying "Isn't the first few months just enjoying the engagement? No wedding talk?" I have been going to bridal expo's and getting wedding magazines for months now. He doesn't want to hear the wedding talk, but thankfully my sister in law is talking about it as much as I am so I have someone to gush about it with!
    My Fi said the same thing to me after he proposed in August and we are getting married next July!  Keep in mind, he just spent a month or two freaking out about/ planning the proposal. He got over it pretty quick. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh no, that would freak me out so much!! Less than a year away! My brother and his (then FI) got engaged then married in less than 4 months and it was amazingly beautiful. No idea how they did it perfectly and at great venue (the Dodge Mansion in Michigan). 

I have 3 years to plan, so I'm more relaxed about planning. My FI bought the engagement ring back in May this year and held onto it this entire time. He planned the proposal the night before Labor Day out of the blue; prior to that, he had no idea when or how. 
  • I completely understand how you feel! I'm going through the same thing, i'm in college so my fiance and i want to wait until after i graduate. And i just wanna plan so badly, and just move in together and be in wedded bliss. but no one really understands, my family isn't so crazy about my fiance but his family loves me. but i think they were in shock when they found out because we are kinda young, i'm 22 and my fiance is 21. and he's an only child so of course his mother like almost had stroke. we haven't even lived together but i feel like we have such an amazing relationship that we dont need to worry about that. it's just all so confusing.
  • I could have written this post myself!! My FI and I got engaged November 1st and are also planning an October 2016 wedding, since he is getting his masters and will graduate December 2015.  We also want to purchase a home before getting married or at least be able to right after getting married. Just enjoy this time together being engaged! We won't start planning until this summer.  I want to have the venue and photographer booked by the end of August to make sure we have exactly what we want.  Good luck and congratulations! =)
  • Congrats to you, too!! We were thinking of buying a house before the wedding too, hence waiting a couple years to save up for everything. It's just so far away!
  • @Nikita2013 We are at a kinda of young age (FI 24 and I'm 22) and have never lived together, but everything you just said about the long wait and school is the same for us. We have our family support, but I want to plan now! lol
  • We are in the same boat! I just got engaged on 11/12/13 and everyone is already asking me things. It isn't a bad thing :-) But I don't know what to do. I plan on focusing on school and then start to think about wedding things. That gives me something to do for a few months. But other than that, I was on pinterest yesterday, looking at ideas. A VIP list might be nice. I will probably talk to my mom about that when she comes to visit me next week. Just get an idea and make sure all of my phone numbers and addresses are correct!
  • @Kelcita21 Its like as much as I try to focus on school I really just want to jump into planning the wedding. Even my roommates ask me how can you plan a wedding when you don't even know when and you're broke? I just tell them that I do research and figure out how much things would cost. I also created a spreadsheet so I can see how much everything would cost in total so that way my FI and I can see how much we need to save up. But it is really exciting to see how it would all come together and even though I am focused on the details of the wedding of course the best part is gonna be marrying the love of my life.
  • @Nikita2013 I am so excited to marry this guy. It's so tempting to just run to a courthouse and be married already. We are saving up for a home right now, but I just cannot wait for the future. So impatient! 
  • I feel the same way, I've even looked into how much it would be for that type of thing. My fiance says that he knows I might end up regreting it because it's not gonna be with our families there and I know he is right. We are just trying to save up for the wedding while I go to school for the next two years, but even with that time away we may have to wait longer because we would probably still have to save up. It took me a little while to wrap my head around that sort of thing, because I figure ok I'm engaged, I should be planning my wedding not studying for tests. But my fiance didn't wanna wait until after college for me to be his own, so that's why he proposed so early. We both know what we want, I'm just the impatient one lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards