Not Engaged Yet

Procrastinating...

Im still pretty new around here, so instead of doing something silly like study for my 2 midterms, I want to get to know you ladies!
How old did High-School-You think you were going to be when you got married? Had kids?
What did High-School-You think your wedding would be like? Did you not care, or did you have grand plans?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Procrastinating...

• I thought Id be married by 20, and started on making babies by 21. I thought that was sooooo old, I needed to get right on it if I didnt want dusty babies!
    I always pictured my wedding to be some radical metal affair, with some viking metal band playing in a field and everyone going crazy. I was a bit of a rebel.
    Thank god I never went through with any of this!
  • High-school-me was going to be a nun. There's no realm in which I'm making this up.
  • @keptinstitches, you cant just leave it at that! Did you really want to go off and be a nun? How did you decide against it?
  • High School-Me wasn't going to  get married until 27 at the earliest and didn't want kids till I was 30. I wanted a HUGE wedding with pretty much everyone I knew. I'm sure I had some over the top ideas for the reception too (I do remember wanting fireworks).

Now, I'm excited to hopefully get married next summer at 24. I want at least one kid before I'm 30. BF and I would like a small, simple wedding.

• High school Amapola was pretty sure she was going to be alone if one of the idiots she had a crush on didn't realize they were meant to be, obviously. I didn't really see marriage in my future. As such, I was really never the kind of girl who obsessed about weddings and had never thought about what I would want at my own.

Now I'm 24, will probably be 25 or 26 by the time BF and I get our shit together and get married. I did go through a period where I was like, "Ermahgerd, WEDDING," but luckily that didn't last long. My wish is for BF and me to get married in a private ceremony on a fun vacation, and then have a fun picnic-type celebration with family and friends at the home we hopefully will have purchased by then.

Oh, and I have always wanted kids. That's one thing that's always been pretty certain for me.
  • @Bethsmiles, your current plan is about where Im at now too. Im thinking about 26-27 sounds like an alright time for kids for bf and I. A small simple wedding sounds wonderful!

@Amapola14, I was totally there. I had 3 guys who were interested in me at 15 and I thought that THIS was my pool of men for the rest of my life, and if I chose wrong I would end up alone for-evar.
    I was never obsessed with weddings in and of themselves, I just remembered telling my mom at 16 that I want to be married with a kid on the way by 21 and she told me to at least wait until 25-30! I thought that was so old! If you could have the wedding anywhere, where would you have it?
  • @princesstinyfeet, dream wedding would be outdoors in the Scottish Highlands a la Braveheart. It's the most beautiful place I have ever seen! I foresee that being rather expensive for us at that point, so it will probably remain a dream. :)

There is a place called Orcas Island off of Washington State, where killer whales are often seen in the summer and fall. I absolutely love those whales, and it just looks like such a peaceful place to get married, so that may be more of a possibility.
  • @amapola14, Ok, getting married in the scottish highlands sounds like an AMAZING idea. I hope that one day you win the lottery and are able to swing it, because thats awesome.
    But on the other hand, Orcas are quite possibly the coolest of the whales. I dont think you can go wrong either way!
  • CLoGreenEyesCLoGreenEyes member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    Also, I loled at the pool of guys I would have had to choose from to be married by 20. I was dating BF by then, but we were still young and had a LOT to work out first. The other guys I knew basically never would have made the cut.

Haha your poor mom! Having that conversation with you must have caused some stress, haha :P
    edited September 2013
    extra post
  • Lol, yeah, my mom had it rough. 2 sons who were crazy party guys in and out of jail who could never make it to holidays and a daughter who wanted to be a 20 year old mother!
    And all 3 guys in my man pool were AWFUL. One was a lazy weirdo, one had anger management problems and the last one had problems of his own that, combined with my problems, led to some dark times. Im so glad high school is over!  XD
    edited September 2013
    Thanks @princesstinyfeet :)

Now nobody had better steal my ideas because then I won't invite you to my PPD after I get back from our legal ceremony. Cuz that's just rude to take someone's original idea when you didn't even think of it. *entitled pout*

/sarcasm/
  • @amapola14, I promise I wont steal it! Im torn between getting married in a forest in northern california or on the beach in my hometown. Pretty barn forest wedding with the smell of pine in the air, or tropical sunny fun night with your toes in the sand as you dance?
    Decisions decisions! :P
  • @Amapola14 - Getting married Scotland sounds awesome!

My dream wedding would take place at Red Fish Lake in Idaho. I spent a week there pretty much every summer growing up and it's beautiful. Currently I'm kind of in love with the idea of renting out an entire campground for a wedding and doing it there.

• minskat30minskat30 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2013

I thought I would be married by 27 and making babies by 30.  I got married at 30 and we aren't TTC just yet, though H and I would like two kiddos so I should get going pretty soon (I'm 31 now). 

I didn't really have any aspirations for a wedding, honestly.  Just the presence of my family and a Krasekake which I made sure to get...see link(http://briankinyon.smugmug.com/Weddings/Myjaamitwed/i-T8CF6gj#!/Weddings/Myjaamitwed/i-99FtRsQ/A).  It is a Danish wedding cake and my mom and dad had one (and all my grandparents in Denmark).  I had two cakes...I was spoiled.  :) 

• @minskat30, your wedding was beautiful, what a dress!! And that danish cake is awesome, it looks so good! Looked like so much fun!
  • @miskat30 - I love your wedding pictures, seriously you are ridiculously pretty! Also, it's awesome that you had two cakes :)

• Thank you @princesstinyfeet ...I can't help myself, I love a little bling so I went a little overboard on the dress.  :)

@bethsmiles - That is very, very nice of you...thank you.  As to the two cakes, my H thought the second cake was overkill but I was determined that not everyone should have to eat my gluten-free Danish cake and some people would want variety. 

edited September 2013
    OMG, @minskat30. Hi. You're way pretty. And I totally see the logic in having two cakes. More cake is always better! :)

Seriously, your photos are gorgeous. You and your H just look soooooo in love.
  • Lol, yeah, my mom had it rough. 2 sons who were crazy party guys in and out of jail who could never make it to holidays and a daughter who wanted to be a 20 year old mother!
    And all 3 guys in my man pool were AWFUL. One was a lazy weirdo, one had anger management problems and the last one had problems of his own that, combined with my problems, led to some dark times. Im so glad high school is over!  XD
    @PrincessTinyFeet, I just saw this post. Yikes about the brothers, I hope they are pulling it together. =/ My two brothers have similar issues. Isn't it funny how when you're the one who just wants to settle down and have a normal family life, your parents freak out?

Your man-pool sounds treacherous! Mine was mostly just stuck-up smartasses. According to Facebook they have mostly turned out OK in general, but the relationship stories I've heard about a few make me VERY grateful to be out of high school as well.
  • @amapola14, theyre doing alright by their standards, still a little haphazard though. And its exactly because of them that I want a normal, stable life!

• @amapola13 - Awww, thank you, that is very kind.  I think everyone is there own worst critic...I look in the mirror sometimes I just go "blech".  That day, however, I felt beautiful.  And, yes, H and I are very, very, very much in love. :) 
  • @minskat30, LOVE YOUR WEDDING! You guys look so happy. :D

High-School-Me knew I would be waiting until after college to get married, although I hadn't thrown out the idea of engagement during college. But High-School-Kait would have died if anything had gone further with her high school boyfriends.

High-School-Me wanted a huge ballroom wedding, big fluffy princess dress, the whole works. Now I just want a simple barn, rustic outdoors kind of affair with the people BF and I love. Looking at being maybe engaged in the spring and waiting until a few years for marriage.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • High school me thought I'd be married by my mid to late 20s.

High school me thought I'd have kids by late 20s or early 30s.

High school me thought I'd get married in a church with a grand ole celebration afterwards in a fancy hotel.
  • High school me was against marriage and did not think I would ever get married.
    High school me did not wanted kids.
    High school me never even imagined a wedding and I thought I would spend the rest of my life sitting in a pile of books in a room piled with more books with several dogs running around in a small cottage somewhere in the woods.

Ya... I was actually a goth in high school and pretty antisocial! :-P
  • Honestly I never even thought about marriage or kids when I was in high school.
  • When I was in high school I knew I would be married and have a family some day but I never thought of a specific age of when that would be happening. If you go back to when I was 4 years old maybe then I thought I would marry Cinderella's husband and we would be married by 16 and have 2 kids lol.

Anyways, when I thought about getting married and what my wedding would look like, I just imagined pretty traditional and nothing extravagant. Now that I'm planning my wedding and mostly finished with it...it's still traditional but definitely more of my style and FI's style. It's also a little bigger than what we thought it would be but that's ok.
  • @psychbabe314, thats pretty funny! I was a little goth in jr.high, but then I moved more into metalhead territory and there Ive stayed! (BF was in a pretty successful black metal band)
    Not gonna lie, a house filled with books and dogs DOES sound great though!

@southernpeach89, I remember when 16 seemed SO much older! Its neat that youve pretty much kept on the path of what you wanted since then! I would laugh at high-school-me trying to plan a wedding!
  • High-school me thought I'd be married by 20-22, and babies by 25.

I got married in my mid-twenties to a different guy, and probably won't start our family until very-late-twenties/early-thirties.

High-school me didn't think much about weddings, and surely had no idea that my wedding would pack 425 people!! 
  • @cocobellaf, 425 people!? I don't even know that many! That's going to be quite a fun time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards