New Jersey

Help Finding an Affordable (But Cool!) Venue

Hi all,

My fiance and I are having trouble finding a good reception space in NJ. We're looking to have our wedding next fall (Oct/Nov 2014) in the Central/Northern NJ area. We expect around 225 guests and are looking to keep the price per head below $140 with tax and tip included. There are plenty of banquet halls that seem to be able to do this, but I'm really dead set against a typical banquet hall/catering hall. I am hoping for a place that has gardens (both for pictures and also because I'd like to the reception to feel like you could be outside), and both of our families are foodies, so the food has to be great. We've been looking for a few weeks and have found 3 places we loved; The Manor (but it's too small) and Shadowbrook and Park Savoy, both of which are out of budget. I know you ladies are the experts and have had some great advice for other brides here, so I'm hoping you may have some tips that could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help Finding an Affordable (But Cool!) Venue

• 225 invited or 225 expected to come? We are at the Manor in the Imperial Room, will have just a smidge over 200 (including kids).  They also have the ability to put up to 4 tables in the adjoining room that is normally just for the cocktail hour that makes it around 230 or 240? Don't remember.

Obviously, never invite more people than a room can hold. In our situation, we knew there were people who were not going to come. We had a 30% decline rate (70% acceptance). 

But, with the 225 able to fit if you need to go that route (using the additional room), you would still be able to provide a chair for every guest, but will (probably) not have an 100% acceptance rate. If you do - it's fine. If you don't, you'll still be fine.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Yeah, unfortunately I expect that will be the number that accepts the invitation. We will be sending out around 250/260. We both have large families and have had other weddings within the families this year so we have a pretty good idea who will decline and who will come. I think the manor would just be too tight of a squeeze. I've been browsing other brides' posts about this to look for ideas, but no luck so far. This week we'll be checking out the Forsgate CC (anyone been there recently?), but that's it on the horizon so far.
  • Perona Farms in Andover

Lake Mohawk Country Club in Sparta

The Madison Hotel in Convent Station

Bretton Woods in Morris Plains (but check the capacity)

• Check out this link as it shows unique spaces
  • I went to Forsgate. Was not a fan of the woman who showed us around. She was a scatter-brain and all over the place. Didn't feel comfortable knowing she'd be in charge or organizing things when she couldn't get herself together. Plus I don't like how crowded country clubs are. I asked about the parking situation which is first come first serve basis, as you are sharing the space with other people who are there for other reasons. 

I didn't care for it. 

• I'm having my wedding at the Clubhouse at Galloping Hill in Kenilworth. They are brand new, and should be in your price range. They hold up to 300 people.
  • I was looking at this place.. How much is their starting price for wedding packages do you know?
  • Stony HIll Inn
    Seasons
    Venitian
    The Madison Hotel
    Atrium
    The Grove
    Il Tulipino
    Valley Regency

• If Vernon isn't too far for you, email Crystal Springs.  They have 4 very different wedding venues that can accommodate a range of budgets and styles. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone. A lot of those places are a bit far, or too banquet hall-y for us, but there have been some good leads as well. It seems like I have to give up on my idea of finding a reception hall that doesn't look like a reception hall in my price range, so some of these hopefully will lead us down the right road. Thanks!
  • I went to a wedding in February at Park Savoy...It was beautiful and the food was amazing in my opinion.  It was a winter wedding on a Sunday and they did get a great deal and were able to have a large guest list!   But it is a typical NJ ballroom reception place with chandeliers, etc.  You can have a different wedding in NJ, Laurita winery has a tented area (outside caterers) that is beautiful and different. 

We ended up booking with The Mill at Spring Lake Heights.  I think they can only accomodate up to 200 people but you may want to give them a call.  We are getting married outside in the garden right on the lake...the inside is a ballroom but not too fancy and it can easily be made to what you want it to be with your decorations and ideas.  We liked it because we could still have our vintage/rustic/garden themed ideas work.  The cocktail room is awesome as well!  

http://themillnj.com/home

Good luck!  I have done a lot of research in NJ/PA on venuesso if you have any questions, let me know!!

• We are actually going to see The Mill tomorrow, Park Avenue Club tonight, and then Ravello's and Crystal Plaza on Thursday. I'm really hoping one of these is great!

I looooooooved Laurita Winery but they are too far south for us... our church is in Woodbridge and we don't want to have our guests travel more than about 40 minutes between the two at most.
  • Same here about Laurita...  Amy at the Mill is amazing!!!  Good luck with your appointments!!!  And let me know if you have any questions :)
  • Hi - I would love to highly recommend our venue - we just had our wedding on August 23, 2013 at The Imperia (Somerset NJ) it is approx 20 / 25 min from woodbrige I believe. And a very simple ride just hop on 287 and hop off exit 10

We had a min of 135 people and our cost was very reasonable. It was a friday evening - and we did negotiate our prices - basically we wrote down our budget and they worked around it - it was great and so stress free to know what we are getting for the money!

We worked w/ Arlene - she was very quick to respond to all our questions & emails - she had amazing ideas that we implemented into the reception - she made sure our day was absolutely beautiful & perfect!

I understand you want a "garden feel" to the venue - we had our ceremony / cocktail hour / pictures taken in the Majestica Patio - and we used the upstairs gazebo & mini garden for pictures as well! It was absolutely stunning - the patio has waterfalls and flowers surrounding everything - the gazebo upstairs is almost in its own small garden - it was very gorgeous!

If you have other questions or more advice about this venue def feel free to reach out - good luck with all the planning!

Anniversary

Vacation
  • Hey all - we JUST have confirmed our venue with the Crystal Plaza in Livingston. I was the least excited about visiting it this week because their website photos looked way too gaudy and outdated, but we were floored when we got there. It is stunning in person, not nearly as gaudy, and it seems to have had some renovations recently because the cocktail hour room is beautiful! We're so excited to finally have this finished! :) We were just starting to look into Pennsylvania venues but Fred at CP blew us away with the package they put together for us. I am SO excited!
  • Awww congratulations on booking your venue :) Crystal Plaza is one of the prettiest venues! Good luck with the rest of the planning!
    Anniversary

Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards