Wedding Reception Forum

Omitting the First Dance

We are getting married on December 14th the ceremony will be at 1:00 pm with the reception at 2:00 pm -4 pm. My fiance doesn't like to dance in front of anyone I don't care that much about the first dance however what shall we do in place of it? The reception is at the same place the ceremony will be held. After the ceremony we will leave the group for a few for pictures etc and then be announced as husband and wife. Then we would do a unity candle or unity sand ceremony. After that we would mingle and grab some food. I will then have the DJ or my mother announce the dance floor is open. However he doesn't want my family to tell him to dance with me at all. I like to dance but I usually only do so after a few drinks however I'm pregnant so no drinks for me =) 

Does this sound OK to do? 

Re: Omitting the First Dance

• Jess&Trev said:
    We are getting married on December 14th the ceremony will be at 1:00 pm with the reception at 2:00 pm -4 pm. My fiance doesn't like to dance in front of anyone I don't care that much about the first dance however what shall we do in place of it? The reception is at the same place the ceremony will be held. After the ceremony we will leave the group for a few for pictures etc and then be announced as husband and wife. Then we would do a unity candle or unity sand ceremony. After that we would mingle and grab some food. I will then have the DJ or my mother announce the dance floor is open. However he doesn't want my family to tell him to dance with me at all. I like to dance but I usually only do so after a few drinks however I'm pregnant so no drinks for me =) 

Does this sound OK to do? 

We didn't do a first dance.

It's not a requirement, and you don't need to do anything it its place.

If someone at the reception pressures you to do a first dance (which they won't) you can say "Oh, no thank you Aunt Sally, we're not dancing" and change the subject.

• Not having a first dance is completely fine.  You do not have to do anything in place of it.

What I am confused about is why you would do the unity candle or unity sand ceremony after you are introduced into the reception.  Why not do that during your actual wedding ceremony?

• Thank you for the feedback!

That is a good point. I will re think this order and most likely change to doing it right before the rings are exchanged. 
  • Not having a first dance is completely fine.  You do not have to do anything in place of it.

What I am confused about is why you would do the unity candle or unity sand ceremony after you are introduced into the reception.  Why not do that during your actual wedding ceremony?
    This exactly.

DH hates to dance. I love to dance. We came to a compromise - we would have a first dance (just the sway back and forth type - nothing fancy) and I wouldn't make him dance for the rest of the evening. Worked well for us.
  • Why are you having dancing at all then? From 2-4 I wouldn't expect it, and I don't think there is much of a way to keep people from telling the two of you to dance, so if that's going to bother him I'd skip it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards