Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Funny readings- non traditional

Hey everyone.

I am looking for a few good options for a non traditional reading. We have one good traditional one we like for a family member. The other is for a groomsman who has been asked to read. He is a goofy non traditional smart ass, so we don't want him to be uncomfortable.... Any ideas? We were thinking "Oh The Places You'll Go" By Dr Seuss. 

Re: Funny readings- non traditional

• Oh! The Places You'll Go is one of my favorite books in the entire world, but it's a little too career-y/achievement-based for a wedding, IMHO. 

I've always loved the lyrics to "I Wanna Grow Old With You," from The Wedding Singer. It's a very sweet message, but presented in a light-hearted way. I'd also consider finding something from a favorite movie or TV show of yours. The Wonder Years has a great narration on love :)
  • I was at a wedding where they had a "funny guy" type read the Velveteen Rabbit.

It is sort of a serious reading, but was kind of hilarious to hear him say "Skin Horse" multiple times.

• I will say though, that H and I both thought this reading was really strange and out of place for the church wedding we were attending.

Just know that even though the person doing the reading may be "goofy" your other guests may not really get what you are trying to go for.

• Google Bob Marley and wedding readings.  There are a couple from him, they're pretty non-traditional as far as wedding readings go, but still very sweet and very much about love.  We used the longer one that starts, "Only once in your life..."  Everybody loved it and said how perfect it was for us and our ceremony!
  • We used A Lovely Love Story that Maggie posted above. Our wedding was not in a church and our wedding parties walked down the aisle to The Imperial Death March and the Golden Girls theme song, so we were not super formal! It was a hit and everybody loved it.

We also used e.e. cummings's "i carry your heart" which is a bit more traditional but one of my faves.
  • ElcaB said:
    Oh! The Places You'll Go is one of my favorite books in the entire world, but it's a little too career-y/achievement-based for a wedding, IMHO. 

I've always loved the lyrics to "I Wanna Grow Old With You," from The Wedding Singer. It's a very sweet message, but presented in a light-hearted way. I'd also consider finding something from a favorite movie or TV show of yours. The Wonder Years has a great narration on love :)
    I have searched and searched for the Wonder Years's narration on love but can't find a thing. Do you have a link where it could be found, or a few key words I can google myself?
  • We used A Lovely Love Story and Notes on Marriage by Charles Darwin.  They were both a success!
  • FH and I are having the Tree Ent and Tree Ent wife duet poem read at our ceremony...it's about the seasons of a life together...definitely on the nerdy side since it's from the Lord of the Rings book series.

It sounds like you're looking for something a bit more funny though...you can check out Ogden Nash...he has a lot of lighthearted stuff. Good luck!

• Try some of these from Offbeat Bride: http://offbeatbride.com/2011/06/silly-wedding-readings
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @katieg520 let me do some searching.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards