Wedding Etiquette Forum

Dress help

I found a dress I love online that is not a shiny material. A little nervous about buying a dress online. I'm buying a train online which is a shiny material.

My question is would it look weird to have a "flat" dress and a shiney train?

Re: Dress help

• So the train is detachable? Could you send pictures?
  • I second the picture request.
  • Are either of the materials listed?  Are they from the same manufacturer? You might want to post pictures and find out more information about both products before ordering.

Overall, there could be no problem with two different materials, but it just depends on how well they will blend or match.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Where online?

• I would never buy a wedding dress online.  Ever.

Yup. Definitely try on a dress before you buy it.
  • Yes, it would look weird.
  • shelyg89 said:
    I would never buy a wedding dress online.  Ever.

Yup. Definitely try on a dress before you buy it.

I agree 100% that I would never buy a wedding gown online...to be fair I never clothes shop online, I have the type of body that always looks different in every size, shape and cut then the models do.  The curse of a large chest I suppose! 
  • To quote the Great David Tutera: Never buy your dress online. You have to try it on!
  • I'd be less worried about the materials looking off and more worried about the colors.  How do you know they are both the same shade of white?  One might have a more gray tone while the other might be more cream.  It is really hard to tell with pictures, I would avoid buying online.
  • I found a dress I love online that is not a shiny material. A little nervous about buying a dress online. I'm buying a train online which is a shiny material.

My question is would it look weird to have a "flat" dress and a shiney train?

I would never, ever buy a wedding dress online.  This is just one of those things that you really have to try on.  What if you hate it or it doesn't fit?  It's not going to be easy, if at all possible, to return it as you would if you bought a pair of pants from Ann Taylor online.

Also, where are you finding this dress?  There are plenty of Chinese knock off sites out there.  If this is one of them, I would immediately run away.  The odds are not in your favor.....we can pretty much guarantee you will be disappointed in what they send you.

• The only way I buy clothing online is if they have a rock solid, easy return process, preferably a place local that I can return it to.  That is pretty rare in the wedding world... I would stay away.
  • I don't understand why you're buying a dress and a train separately. Do people really do that? It doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Pictures would be super helpful. But even pictures can't tell you if the colors/shades will match. There is a very slim chance you'll get a wonderful, quality made dress & train, but it truly isn't worth the risk. Not only would you be out the money for the bad dress, you'd then have to spend even more money on a new dress and quite possibly a rush fee.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards