Wedding Woes

School questions

So I hate having to think about this now, especially since DS is 3 1/2 but I guess I need to be prepared.

We are probably going to do kindergarten in 2015. However, I'm not thrilled with our local public schools. They've cut funding to classrooms, class sizes are huge (our local school has average sizes of about 35 kids). There are several charter schools near us that I'd like to check out. A lot of them are having informational nights in the next few months so that you can get your kid registered/in the lottery as soon as they start accepting applications for the following school year (they've already done next years lotteries as school starts in August here). But here's my question- what do you use to evaluate these schools? From the websites, they almost all use different curriculum. They all seem to have some similarities- clubs, some sports, uniforms, etc. Is there something else I should be looking at.

And I am having a hard time accepting that DS will be going to school. He is so excited to go to "big school" because one of his friends went this year. Even though we have 2 years until he goes.

Re: School questions

• How to evaluate probably depends on your state.  Ohio has a website that does a scorecard for schools and over a certain number is good.  They also have historical numbers and improvement numbers.  I have a friend that works for school funding people.  He sent me a bunch of websites that show the evaluations, trends, and school levy pass/fail rates. 

(One of the reasons we didn't buy in stupid woman's suburb was because their levies were failing)

• Yes, your state's education website would be the first place to check. You can also start speaking with parents in your neighborhood with older kids. They would have a more real world idea of how the school is doing too. I have parents that call to get tours of the school and that gives them more info to decide.

• I did check it out- basically they give a rating of exceeding, average, etc. and then they have the rates for kids who are passed/failed a grade and overall state testing scores. All of the schools were looking at are exceeding (or whatever it is) and their rates are similar. And of course, we've talked to people and they all have their own opinions on why one school is better or whatever. :/
  • I hate to say it, but you will never know if a school is a good fit until your kid gets there. It depends on so many factors. The teachers, other kids, etc. You could have a great 1st grade teacher and a good mix of kids in the class and then the next year get a crappy 2nd grade teacher with a class from hell.

• Pmeg, I think you live in my area-Valley Metro in AZ?
    If so,depending on the district you are in, you may still have a good public kindergarten, i.e. Gilbert or Scottsdale. Avoid Washington like the plague
    For charter schools look at the website, but definitely go to the open houses. I will say some of it depends on the kid-a friend put her granddaughter in a Montessori kindergarten, but she hasn't done well there really-her personality doesn't mesh well with that style of learning.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A minor aside, also make sure that they have accreditation.  Less an issue at Elem. levels, but it raises flags when they don't have it--and parents often don't find out it's an issue until after.

I'd also do some checking on what they have for special ed/special need programs--because charter schools aren't always able to accommodate them all--and it sucks especially hard for the people who don't think they need the services and then, when something happens and they may need the services, have to uproot EVERYTHING to get them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards