Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Only days away- and I'm still stumped with my hair!

Hi all, 
I am ten days away from my wedding. Hair person fell through- she decided that it would be too far to drive. I'm pretty stressed (had other issues but we fixed them- now the hair). 

I want to try and do it myself, but I am not very savvy with hair at all. I have a picture of what I am going for. Does anyone know what that type of braid is called? Are there any how-to steps/videos I could find that will help me learn how to do this? I know how to kind of french braid, but only down the back. 

Also, I know that the side ponytail would need to be curled- does anyone know what brands to look at for hair spray that isn't hard or sticky that I could use on the curls/braid? 

Any help I could get I would really appreciate it- In the end I hope I just don't end up looking dumb. I have the same hair length as the girl in the picture, so I'm hoping it would work. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Only days away- and I'm still stumped with my hair!

• My hairdresser canceled a week before the wedding so I called a large salon near my venue. They were able to get me in for a trial on Tuesday and do my hair for the wedding on Saturday. I'm also hair-challenged and knew I really couldn't do it myself. Plus, I didn't want to have to stress about it on my wedding day. I don't know where your wedding is, but I'd call around to some salons and see if anyone can get you in. Good luck!
  • emmyg65 said:
    My hairdresser canceled a week before the wedding so I called a large salon near my venue. They were able to get me in for a trial on Tuesday and do my hair for the wedding on Saturday. I'm also hair-challenged and knew I really couldn't do it myself. Plus, I didn't want to have to stress about it on my wedding day. I don't know where your wedding is, but I'd call around to some salons and see if anyone can get you in. Good luck!
    Ditto.  I'd start calling around now.  I'm sure you can find someone and do a trial.  You have a photo which should really help them.  
  • I saw a post from another bride who was looking to do something similar & had found some how to videos on you tube. Good luck!!
  • Call around to other salons or people you know are just really good with hair before you decide to just do it yourself! But to answer your questions- thats just a french braid. And actually Suave Professionals strong hold hairspray is my favorite. Super cheap too. Its very strong, not wet or sticky, and smells really good. (silver can pink cap)

But seriously, I'm sure you can find SOMEONE else to do it. You don't want to be stressed on that day when you are trying to style your hair by yourself and its not working out.

• I know I should find a salon- but my venue is literally in the middle of nowhere, and the only two salons in the area are super expensive fancy ones I can't afford. I was planning on this lady to come and do it, but that didn't work out. My two bridesmaids aren't hair experts at all. 

I'm pretty creative, so I was hoping I would be able to figure it out if I could find a how to. But I don't know what to search for: "Front head french braid"? lol

Thanks @shelyg89. I'll check out that hairspray- does it hold a long time? (Wedding day long?)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know I should find a salon- but my venue is literally in the middle of nowhere, and the only two salons in the area are super expensive fancy ones I can't afford. I was planning on this lady to come and do it, but that didn't work out. My two bridesmaids aren't hair experts at all. 

I'm pretty creative, so I was hoping I would be able to figure it out if I could find a how to. But I don't know what to search for: "Front head french braid"? lol

Thanks @shelyg89. I'll check out that hairspray- does it hold a long time? (Wedding day long?)
    That hair style is all over Pinterest. There's probably a how-to on there. Otherwise YouTube Side FrenchBraid Tutorial or Lauren Conrad Side Braid Hair. If you know how to french braid, it shouldnt be hard to do, its the same as going down the back, except you are braiding down the side. Section off a side chunk and french braid away! Yes, I use that hairspray all the time. If you are going for cheap, you could also check out Aussie's Freeze hairspray, in a purple bottle. Your hair really wont move with that stuff.

Do you have to get your hair done at the venue?  I got my hair done in my hometown and then drove 40 min to my venue.
  • @JoanE2012 our house is about an hour from our venue, but I'm staying with my mom and friends at a bed and breakfast the night before that is near the venue, so it has to be up there. No time in our schedule to drive back home (and it wouldn't matter anyway- I live in the middle of nowhere too!)

@shelyg89 thanks for the advice! I will check out those videos- hopefully I can figure it out. I have a week! lol. If not, I've resigned myself to the idea that I can still do the side ponytail like above without the braid and it would still look nice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks, @RosePetal2014. I was looking at the top video for the last couple of days- and practicing, but my braids keep coming out thin and tight looking even when I use more hair and do it loose. Maybe my hair isn't meant for it :(. I may just end up doing the side ponytail like in the picture. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Definitely YouTube!!! I watch tutorials all the time on there.
  • Yeah YouTube it. Or try another hairdresser. Call around.

• Check craigslist.  They have ads for stylist that will come to you. Or a beauty school might have a student that can come to you.  And ask you venue.  The day of may not be the best time to try to get good with hair.  I can't even get a ponytail even on my head!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards