Not Engaged Yet

Because that's going to end well--300 Sandwiches

2»

Re: Because that's going to end well--300 Sandwiches

• I wonder, if he proposes BEFORE 300sandwiches...  will she keep making sandwiches?

I think she'll keep making sandwiches! She seems to have found a true passion for finding new recipes and getting creative in the kitchen. Plus, they seem to have a strong connection to food in their relationship as a whole: trying new things, eating out, entertaining friends. I don't think that just dissapears overnight because she gets engaged.
  • Yes she invited public scrutiny when she decided to post all of this in an online blog. Do I think that decision was partially due to her journalism background and possible career gain? Absolutely. If it's not somewhat controversial, it's not "news" worthy.  

If we really want to feel true sympathy or concern for someone - why not leave this woman alone and focus on battered women, women forced into the sexual slave trade, or women who live in countries where they actually are oppressed? I don't believe anyone throwing judgment around in this thread is truly sorry for this woman or concerned for the future of her relationship - It's just something to talk about.

Are you being serious with all of this? It's something being discussed in the news/on the internet this week and so a discussion was started here about it. How on Earth does us discussing the topic here mean we should actually be out saving the oppressed women of the world?

• @Swazzle - Yes, that was a serious comment. I'm not saying that we can't discuss the subject. Obviously I'm discussing it here and I think it's interesting to see everyone's point of view. I just have a hard time with comments like "I feel so sorry for her". I don't believe that. If someone truly felt sympathy for her they'd try to help the person out, not talk about them in an online thread and pick apart their entire blog.

My comment was not aimed at anyone specifically, so I'm sorry if I struck a nerve with you  Swazzle. I guess I'm just tired of some posters feigning compassion for what is actually judgment.  

• @allusive007 - I just found that to be a bit over the top, personally. I realize now that your comment wasn't directed at me but I didn't say I felt bad for her since she obviously accepted the "challenge" willingly. I said it was pathetic. 

• @Swazzle - I was trying to be extreme to make a point. Perhaps I was being a bit dramatic, but I was simply trying to show that what one woman chooses to do in her own home really isn't a big deal. It sounds like the biggest complaints in this thread against her blog are that somehow this man is "putting the woman in her place" and this woman is allowing it. If someone wants to cry "anti-feminism" I guess I personally feel there are many more important causes to take up that really do have a significant impact on women's rights in our country.
  • Saying that this might not be worth focusing on because there are worse problems is a pretty weak argument. I get where you're coming from, but the issue here is that the attitudes that are promoted by the 300 sandwich story are really negative ones that are part of a very wide-spread culture that also promotes violence against women and makes it hard for women to leave abusive relationships.

Basically, the issues that are worrying so many of us with regards to THIS story aren't a different problem than relationship violence. They're symptoms of the same problem.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • @phira - I would agree with you 100% if I had your view of this blog. Obviously based on my posts, I don't have your same feelings towards it. I completely understand your argument for not tolerating a "lesser offence" (for lack of a better term) as it condones smaller acts of a larger problem.  However, with my view of the blog being light hearted and consensual from both sides - I have a hard time making the argument that this in any way compares to the seriousness of some of the other topics I had mentioned. 

• All I'm gonna say is that if el Senor ever asks me for 300 of anything, I'm gonna tell him "Sure. Kiss my big, giant, mexican ass 300 times, and we'll have a deal."

And the whole deal makes me 'feel sorry' for this woman in the: pat her head and say "well bless your heart" way.

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• I can see both sides but I do feel, based on her comments that she did start this with the thought or intention of "well if this is what it takes to get a ring, I better get started".  Hell she might have even thought "what an assinine request but I'll go with it, write about it and see if he ACTUALLY proposes".  Like @swazzle said, the fact that it may have pogressed in to something else now in her mind is a different topic. 

I think it speaks to the same thought process that brings alot of women to this very site, and in particular, the NEY community.  We all WANT/WANTED to get married and the more BSC ones are trying to find that one thing that they can do to get him to propose already!  She had it handed to her on a silver platter (or so she thought).  I didn't see it so much as him trying to put her in her place but more along the lines of the desperate attempt of a woman who is ready to be married, and her BF who is not, holding the sandwich on a stick in front of her.  That is what irks me.  It's somethng that men KNOW we want.  To then hold it just out of reach, or in this case to give her a goal that will seemingly take forever, is just not right.  Either you want to marry the chick or you don't.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I get really frustrated with the whole feminism thing.

In the words of my friend Zola, suffrage and body sovereignty are so overrated.

• I would drop that guy like a bad habit.
  • I know the guy. Not well, but I know him. He fancies himself some sort of socialite and IMHO is a real weirdo. I know he's adoring the attention (particuarly evident from his facebook feed).
  • This is sad. I think this whole concept is really weird. Okay, sandwiches are NOT made with love. They are made with bread, meat, cheese, veggies, some stuff laying around, condiments, etc. Second, she makes some bad ass delicious looking sandwiches (maybe for the wrong reasons, but she still has my culinary respect). Third, @EZRydz who kind of knows him shows that he is an attention whoring weirdo. He sounded conceited manchild during the article. Who the fuck wakes up and says, hey sweetie, how long have you been up...oh you've been up fifteen minutes make me a sandwich? NO ONE! He is probably getting off on the attention that he's getting from the media and her stupid little blog. That being said, I hope she realizes that this "after I make him 300 sandwiches he'll put a ring on it" concept may not be a reality as it was a spoken generalization and hasn't been followed up on (to our knowledge). Also, engagements should not be incentive based other than the desire to marry the other person. If she thinks this is going to happen because of 300 sandwiches, bless her naive little heart. He sounds like a total douche canoe (and not a catch), and I'd feel bad for her if she decides to marry him.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards