Iowa-Quad Cities

Vendor Review for QC

Ceremony venue:  St. Anthony's Catholic Church - Davenport, IA
You have to be a parishioner and Catholic to get married there, but for those who are, Father Apo does a wonderful and engaging nuptial mass.

Reception venue:  Waterfront Convention Center (Isle of Capri hotel) Bettendorf, IA
Large venue, wonderful for weddings around or over 200 people. I believe they can manage up to 650, but it works great for medium sized weddings as well.  The deciding factor for us was that they did their own catering and have a wonderful reputation for making really good food (I can confirm).  They have their own wait staff (who were professional and very nice) and do all of their own place settings. They really make hosting a wedding reception simple.  A huge shout out to Joy Garcia, their coordinator, who is incredibly organized, enthusiastic, and all-around wonderful to work with.  

Photographer:  Giraffe Photography - Village of East Davenport
We worked with Stephen Folker for our engagement shoot and Sarah Long for our wedding.  Stephen was very funny and really got us smiling for all of our pictures.  In about and hours and a half, he got a lot of great shots with a lot of variety.  He was very fun and comfortable to work with.
Sarah has a lot of artistic vision.  I don't know how she got so many angles of the nuptial mass, I didn't see or hear her during the ceremony, but from her pictures, it seems that she was everywhere.  The "couple and wedding party shoot" in between the ceremony and reception was where she really stood out.  She seemed to be inspired by everything she saw.  I appreciated that she knew exactly what she wanted out of poses and she was very clear in all of her posing instructions, which is great when we have limited time.

Flowers:  Damien from Milan Flower shop
Damien is absolutely the person to go to for floral arrangements.  He has great artistic vision and lots of creative ideas.  He knows all of the QC venues and what types of arrangements work for which places.

Tamara Wendt - Quad Cities
Great work. Brilliant and creative designs. Very reliable. Tamara will work with you and your vendors every step of the to ensure that your wedding looks exactly the way you want. She does designs, acquires all of the items, coordinates with other vendors, does set up and take down, and does an excellent job with everything.  Very glad we hired her.  Apparently, three couples toured the venue the morning of our wedding after she had set up.  All of them booked that day and said they were going to hire Tamara.

DJ SAS - Quad Cities
Our DJ was very professional and friendly.  He kept things moving and kept people out on the dance floor.  We gave him pretty much free reign and we were very happy with his work.  (They also provide uplighting, which was exactly as we asked and cut down our decoration costs.)

Sara Lynn Cakes - Bettendorf
I don't generally like cake, but hers really were wonderful.  Very moist and rich in flavor.  They have lots of great flavors of cake.  It's a small mother/daughter team working out of their own home, but they do very professional work with great result and I was glad to put my money toward a hard-working and talented family business.  A "foodie" friend recommended them to us, saying they had the best cake he had ever tasted.

Storybook Ending - DeWitt
It was the last place I went because of all of the spam that goes to this board, but I did end up finding the perfect dress there.  I went to all of the bridal boutiques in the QC and found some "okay" option, but none really struck me.  I went to take a look and was surprised by how many different styles they had and that they had dresses in all different sizes.  I had hated all of the mermaid/trumpet styles because they all had to be pinned on and looked terrible at other shops.  They actually had a section of size 6 dresses, and the one I loved was a style that I wouldn't have liked if it were pinned up.  Also, prices were way lower at this small-town shop than those with a similar selection in big cities.  (Also, they never asked me to post recs for them, so I don't know why people post such crazy recs)

Alterations - Pam King "Alterations and Beyond"
She works out of her home and is very pleasant to work with.  She has a lot of experience and does great work.  After the first set of alterations, one part wasn't quite right and she fixed it by the next morning (I thought it would take several days).  I had a very detailed dress and high expectations and Pam did a great job.

Joe's Photo Booth- From Des Moines
The photo booth was an hit.  People used it all night and had a lot of fun.  They sent their own assistant, who was very friendly and helpful.  Each photo session printed two strips, and they will send us a photo cd of all of the pictures that people took throughout the night (still waiting on that though).  We put out a scrapbook as our sign in book so that people could write notes and put in copies of their photo strips.  It was really fun to go through the next morning at brunch!

All of these vendors did great work and I would recommend all of them to anyone looking for QC area wedding vendors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards