Wedding Etiquette Forum

Multiple piercings and Fingertip guestbook?

Hi, I am getting married next April. I have a bunch of regular earrings in my ear which i can take out but i also have my industrial and rook pierced. They both have barbells. I can take them out but couldn't leave them out for the day without them closing. Yes i could let them close but I'm just not ready to do that yet. The one is kind of hidden well but the bigger one shows easily. Does anyone else have bigger piecings that they left in. Did you buy the clear ones and did they hide? Did you regret leaving them in? Was your photographer/ hair stylist hid it well?

My other question is the fingerprint guest book. If you don't know what it is you can google it and they pop right up. My mom is coninved no one will want to do one because there all dressed up. I wanted to do one instead of the regular guestbook. We are doing a country theme and trying to make it as laid back as we can.

Thank you

Re: Multiple piercings and Fingertip guestbook?

• Hi, I am getting married next April. I have a bunch of regular earrings in my ear which i can take out but i also have my industrial and rook pierced. They both have barbells. I can take them out but couldn't leave them out for the day without them closing. Yes i could let them close but I'm just not ready to do that yet. The one is kind of hidden well but the bigger one shows easily. Does anyone else have bigger piecings that they left in. Did you buy the clear ones and did they hide? Did you regret leaving them in? Was your photographer/ hair stylist hid it well?

You'll not regret taking them out for pictures. Or at least getting clear pieces to put in.

My other question is the fingerprint guest book. If you don't know what it is you can google it and they pop right up. My mom is coninved no one will want to do one because there all dressed up. I wanted to do one instead of the regular guestbook. We are doing a country theme and trying to make it as laid back as we can.

Sorry, I agree with your mom. I don't want to chance getting inkpad or paint on my nice clothes.

Thank you

• piercings: totally up to you. mine are out and closed up years ago, but i have multiple tattoos that'll be showing. i don;t plan in covering them up. just a decision you'll have to make. 

guest book: i wouldn't want to get my hands dirty, so i would keep a pretty container of hand sanitizer and tissues next to the guest book so people can wipe off the ink.
  • I'm doing a fingerprint guestbook, i plan to have wipes and tissues out.

Anniversary
  • Your piercings are completely up to you - no etiquette rule dictates this whatsoever. Decide if you care or not whether they're in your photos. I have my nose pierced. It's subtle so I didn't take it out for my wedding or photos. It was a personal choice.

As for the fingerprint book, if you do it make sure you have stuff there for guests to clean up. As a guest, I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't want to risk getting ink on my clothes. I'd probably just sign the book with a pen.
    *********************************************************************************

• As far as your piercings go, it's entirely up to you. Will you look back at your wedding photos in 10 years and regret it? If so, take them out. You could take them out for the ceremony and put them back in for the reception, if you don't mind having them in some photos. 

I'd either rock them or not, but I'd avoid the clear ones. I don't have the same piercings, but I've seen clear jewelry. While it's not as noticeable, sometimes it just looks like the equivalent of having boogers or the like. 

For the guestbook, just buy a bunch of alcohol wipes (the ones used for first-aid) and have them handy at the table. Your guests are adults. They know better than to ink their finger then smooth their dresses or jackets. 
  • Could you just wear your hair down? Unless you have short hair, in that case my suggestion won't work :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • H left all of his facial piercings in. I wouldn't have recognized him without them. They are such a normal part of his face, I actually don't even notice them unless he's taken them out. If you plan to keep your piercings a long time, leave them in if you want. If you know it's just a phase (like my nose piercing was, I knew I couldn't keep it forever) maybe take them out or switch to clear ones.
  • I have my rook pierced and I am keeping it in. Truthfully, most of the time I forget it's there but it's a nice reminder of my younger "wild" days now that I am a corporate lackey.

I am not a fan of fingerprint guests book. I think it's a little messy but really, I just don't like the idea of them. Totally personal opinion. If you like them and you are not breaking etiquette, then go for it!

• LDubHawksFanLDubHawksFan member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    In only going to Speak to the guest book because we did one. We had baby wipes (that I tested with the ink before) right next to the ink pad and actually had our coordinator stand at the table at the beginning of the cocktail hr to hand wipes to the guests and get the ball rolling. I suspect more would have been weary of trying it otherwise if they hasn't seen that they won't stay inked. We still had some people not do their fingerprint (the couple signed one print), but it turned out nicely. Just test your ink to make sure it all comes off right after with a wipe. I would have not likes out I had a dyed green thumb as a guest.

• Speaking to the guest book, what if you had a small stamp that people could use instead of their fingerprint? You'd get a similar effect without the risk of having guests with green thumbs/fingers.
  • I'm just curious... why would you get piercings that you don't want in your wedding pictures? 
  • You're piercings are part of who you are and your personal style as of right now. I say leave them in and rock them, unless they are something that you think you'll be doing away with in a year from now.  If they are a long term thing for you, then go for it.  I've seen plenty of tattooed and pierced brides that look just as beautiful and have no regrets.  Will you look back fifty years from now and think "wow I look terrible" or will you think "ahh, those were the days. That was totally me and I was awesome"...it's really up to you.  I also know a girl who replaced hers with these really pretty flower earrings.  They looked really good.   
  • Thank you for all the responses!! I love my piercing and want to leave them in. I just wanted to hear from other brides how they felt. I figured I could have my hair cover my ear if needed. I know my mom is going to start about my earrings so now I have a good clue on them. Also, Thank you for guestbook thoughts. I will def buy wipes and hand sanitzer for table. I liked the stamp idea too maybe I'll buy one for people who dont want to use their finger.
  • edited September 2013
    If your mom starts in on your piercings, change the topic. Your appearance on your wedding day is your decision, not hers. So, as an example, if she says "You have to take out your earrings," you can say, "I decided I want to leave them in - they're part of who I am. Have you tried the bean dip?" And you just don't engage her in that conversation.

ETA: spelling, missing word - apparently my fingers are already on the weekend
  • I wouldn't be against the finger print guest book, but I would probably want to see others doing it first. We did a frame with a heart shaped mat that everyone signed and wrote cute things. I love having it on the wall, so I would go for what you like.  I personally don't have any issues with ear piercings on a Bride.  If you like them, rock them.
  • Welcome OP! When are you getting married?

Anniversary

• April 12 2014 :)    Thank you for the replies!
  • You can do what you want with your piercings. I left mine in.

I wouldn't use a fingertip guest book because fingerprints are personal/identification.
  • I love fingertip guest books, I plan to use one as well. My cousin had one a few years ago and provided hand wipes so guests could wipe off the ink afterwards. Also just a side note--we're also doing a traditional guest book. My mom pointed out that more people will probably sign the guest book, just because they don't know what to do with the fingertip
  • Piercings are a personal choice. If you're still not sure, perhaps look at some "wedding" styled rings?? If you think you will go clear, try them out first- take a picture of yourself with them- do they look odd with the lighting? (referencing the possible booger comment)

As for the guest book- I think it's a neat idea, but I would absolutely try the ink first and make sure it does come off (I also wouldn't like a stained finger), and have baby or alcohol wipes on the same table as the guest book so guests aren't looking for something to clean their finger off with and potentially putting ink elsewhere (such as on a door handle or your table linens or their clothes).

I think have an alternative option available to finger ink is a good idea, such as a stamp, as it will keep the same overall look but be an "out" to finger ink. 
  • Hi, I am getting married next April. I have a bunch of regular earrings in my ear which i can take out but i also have my industrial and rook pierced. They both have barbells. I can take them out but couldn't leave them out for the day without them closing. Yes i could let them close but I'm just not ready to do that yet. The one is kind of hidden well but the bigger one shows easily. Does anyone else have bigger piecings that they left in. Did you buy the clear ones and did they hide? Did you regret leaving them in? Was your photographer/ hair stylist hid it well?

I have multiple piercings, mostly in my earlobes/cartilage, and while they may get a firm blockage from soap/etc, mine don't (and yours shouldn't, unless they're only a few months old or not done properly) close up if I let them go for a day...skin typically just does not grow back that quickly.

If you are set on leaving your jewelry in, visit a tattoo shop or online store and search for clear plugs or dainty tasteful loops or plain diamond studs. Even for the barbell--you can take the long bar out and have two clear plugs or crystal studs or small silver loops to keep them open.

• Also, I'm planning on doing just that--small silver hoops or crystal studs.

• I would leave my piercings in. When I got married the first time (10 years ago), my mother was adamant about me covering up my tattoo on my shoulder. I let her talk me into it and I wish I hadn't. The cover up my makeup artist used came off onto my veil. And then I realized - WTF - I didn't get my tattoos to cover them up. I'm not embarrassed by them. So, don't let your mom talk you into something you don't want to do. 
  • My future BIL and his wife had a fingerprint guest book. They left baby wipes in a pretty box on the table so you could wipe your fingers right after. Everyone thought it was very cute... they had the fingerprints as leaves on a tree, and it was lovely! As long as there's a way to get the ink off your fingers, I think it's great.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I agree with a PP who said, do you think you will look back in 10-20 years at your wedding photo & have regrets that you left them in? You have two choices, leave them in & rock them with pride or to take them out. If they are something you are just doing for now and plan to eventually take them out and let the holes close up, I would lean more towards taking them out for the day.
  • I have a rook piercing that I got in August of 2011, and I haven't worn any jewelry in it for over a year but whenever I do want to put jewelry in, I still can. I also have other cartilage piercings that I rarely wear jewelry in, but they are still there when I want to. So, you can wear them if you decided you want to rock them for the wedding, or you can take them out and you really don't have to worry about them closing up that quickly. Once you punch a hole through cartilage, it's pretty much there for good.
    Anniversary
  • why dont you wear your hair down so it covers your ears?

but they arent in places that can be seen easily. i would just get smaller earrings. between your veil hair and dress  i dont think anyone notice your ear piercings.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards