Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Videographer or no videographer?.... That is the question

I'm still on the fence about hiring a videographer for our wedding...

We have two photographers that are going to be there, but I know there is going to be so much that I'm going to miss, so I thought it might be nice to have a video and also have something to watch as the years go on... but my fiance doesn't think it's worth the expense

Any thoughts?

Re: Videographer or no videographer?.... That is the question

• Videographer...best money i spent all day! I highly recommend getting a videographer.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I actually was just coming on here to finally leave a recommendation about my videographer so thought I'd just paste here too in case you're interested.

Short version: if you aren't sure...choose Mavid, you won't regret it. The services & final product will exceed your expectations.

I'll start with having a videographer was my husband's idea. I felt strongly that it wasn't needed, it was too much money & we'll never watch it. He really wanted it so we figured out how to budget for it. I screened a few people & after speaking with Russ he by far was more of a match than any of the others. A friend of mine used him for their wedding & was highly recommended. Some qualities that really stood out:
    -Loves his job, passionate & it shows
    -Easy going
    -High end modern technology for shooting & editing
    -Much more affordable than others
    -Took initiative to outreach & coordinate with other vendors
    -Unobtrusive (no joke..."stealth like" on the big day!)
    -Responsive & provided advice every time I asked

The video is amazing & as hard as it was to admit, my husband was right. I'm so glad we did it. There's so much on the video that we had no idea even took place. With so much going on that day & all the excitement, you even forget things that you both did so it was amazing to watch. I am still dumbfounded that our wedding video somehow views like a real movie! It is put together so beyond what I had thought a "wedding video" was. Super cool!

I actually outreached to Russ 2 weeks before to see if there happened to be the slim chance he was available for my sister's Sunday wedding. She panicked last minute that they hadn't chosen to use a videographer & was so upset. Russ was available & even though he probably had Fri & Sat weddings (traveling, & standing on his feet for hours in summer heat), he was so excited to do it & quickly coordinated everything perfectly.
    MANY family & friends at my wedding & my sister's commented how fabulous he was. It's such an important, personal life event to share that I feel like he's a cousin & part of the family. Thanks for everything Russ!!

www.mavidproductions.com

• I think it really depends on you and your priorities. We didn't hire one. We're not really video people. Neither of us grew up with home videos or anything, so it was an easy decision. We did spend a lot of money on a photographer with a second shooter, and I'm confident that they captured everything.
  • I was on the fence (mainly because of the cost) but we decided to go ahead.  We are having an offseason wedding (January in Ohio) so we were able to get $1,000 off of our package.

My sister loves her video and I wanted something that I can go back and watch.  Everyone tells me the day will be such a blur that the video is really nice to have so you can remember and see what you missed.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I am wondering the same thing! My parents are saying we need a videographer, but I had a hard enough time justifying a photographer. I don't feel like I would ever watch the video again (mainly because I get super nervous on camera). Thanks for asking this, I am curious to see more responses. :)
  • I was wondering about this too. I'm just having basically immediate family only and not really having a reception, we are just going to a Luau afterwards so I feel like it wouldn't be much of a video... I just don't know if I will regret not having one... 
  • I would definitely recommend the videographer. The day really does go by in a blur and there is so much to take in. I actually felt a relief knowing it was being captured on video that I could relax and enjoy the day knowing that the memories were preserved on film. It was so exciting seeing some clips of the day after the fact - it really brought back how special of a day it was. It is expensive, but it is one of the few tangible things you'll have after the day - so we felt like it was definitely worth the investment.
  • hey aubreystutzman! can you tell me who did your video?

Thanks!
  • Aubrey is a vendor and has been reported.
  • We weren't sure at the beginning (I had no idea how many things were involved in wedding planning) but decided to meet with videographers after friends had told us how thankful they were for having one. We haven't gotten our video back from our videographers yet, however I am incredibly excited to see it! Our wedding day flew by.. I was so over the moon that I am not sure of everything that went on that day. I cannot wait to be able to "relive" it through out video. At the very least, consider looking for a college student who may be trying to get experience in film or if you know someone personally who could do it. Good luck!
    1385876 10200959833108451 1467805166 n
  • I hired a videographer 2 months out as a last minute decision. I got this kid as a steal and he was my only vendor I would give an A+ to! I can't imagine not having my video, I have watched it a million times already and its so amazing to get to watch our special day over and over! We both look so happy and in love, it truly captured our day (better then photos!). Below is my 10 min web video from my Sept 21 wedding (I also have a longer 30 min version a well).

Anniversary
  • I thought a videographer would be a little too "invasive."  My husband found this company called Flip a Hit.

In a nutshell, it was a DIY type thing, where they sent us small video cameras and my family and guests took videos of the wedding for us.  They edited it and gave us a highlight reel and raw footage.

Here is the link to the video: http://www.flipahit.com/hits/christine-philip  
  • Why not find a videographer who is just starting out?  That is what we're doing.  We spent a TON of money on our photographer because that is so important to us, but I still wanted video.  I found a guy who is new and so was really cheap.  Also, we are helping out someone new :)
  • @bubblegum1309 your video made me want one haha you looked so beautiful and it made me all teary eyed even though I don't know you hahaha I reeeeally hope I don't cry at my own wedding...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards