We have fallen in love with a venue that is within our budget, although toward the top of the range. The issue right now is the deposits. I am in my last year of law school and will start a lucrative job next October (a year from now). Our wedding will be several months after that, in May 2015.
The bottom line price of the venue is okay, but they want a 50% deposit halfway between booking and the event date. If we book now, that would be in June 2014. I won't be working yet (in fact, I'll be studying for the bar without student loans OR a salary). There's no way we can pay a $10,000 deposit before I start working.
Have any of you had luck negotiating with a venue over something like this? How should I approach this conversation with the venue? This isn't just a matter of a couple months of wiggle room. I need the deposit delayed at least 6 months from when they would want it. Waiting to book would of course delay the deposit, but I don't want to lose our wedding date. For reference, this is in northern NJ with a view of NYC. It's a hyperexpensive, hypercompetitive wedding environment here and this is one of the most affordable and beautiful wedding venues in the area. I'm getting worried if we wait too much longer they'll get booked up.