Catholic Weddings

RCIA-What to expect? *Updated*

edited October 2013 in Catholic Weddings
FI and I are getting married May 2014.  We're both Catholic.  He was baptized and made his communion and confirmation.  I was baptized and only made my communion hence going to RCIA.

I go for my first class on Sunday morning and I'm so nervous!  I'll be meeting the priest that's marrying us (we attend Sunday mass but he doesn't know us by name) I don't know if that's it, just being back in a CCD type setting since it's been so long, or just not knowing what to expect.

For those of you that have done RCIA what typically happens during the classes?  (silly question I know)

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: RCIA-What to expect? *Updated*

• FI and I are getting married May 2014.  We're both Catholic.  He was baptized and made his communion and confirmation.  I was baptized and only made my communion hence going to RCIA.

I go for my first class on Sunday morning and I'm so nervous!  I'll be meeting the priest that's marrying us (we attend Sunday mass but he doesn't know us by name) I don't know if that's it, just being back in a CCD type setting since it's been so long, or just not knowing what to expect.

For those of you that have done RCIA what typically happens during the classes?  (silly question I know)

I didn't specifically do RCIA, but I was confirmed at age 20, not 16/17, which is unusual in my area.

I had several sessions of Bible study with other adult confirmation candidates and with the Adult Minister and Priest.

Just open discussion, etc.

• My husband is in a similar position, we are both cradle Catholics, but he was never confirmed. Our parish has adult confirmation classes that take place just before Easter and go until Pentacost. Does your parish have anything like that? Our priest recommended the confirmation classes over RCIA because we both attend mass every Sunday and are active members of the parish.
    The truth behind a well laced dress
  • Many parishes put all adult sacramental prep into the same group with RCIA. 
  • I went through RCIA and it was a wonderful experience! I have heard different things from different people though on other forums as far as how they liked theirs. The format for me was weekly discussion groups/meetings. Ours was led by 2 couples a Sister. Basically they brought up different topics like prayer, the trinity a lot of the history and meanings of a lot church rituals and let people chime in as they wish. It was led with a lot of personal experiences so it allowed us to see how to live our faith opposed to just learning about it. They shared readings with, we watched videos, handouts, personal prayer/reflection but mostly it was an open discussion group. 

Our group was a mixed group of all ages and some people unbaptized, some baptized in other faiths or some who just need confirmation. It provided for a nice mix and it was very comfortable all of us got very close. 

I have heard from some others that their RCIA program was more academic/school like, with a lesson like format. That wouldn't necessarily be bad, just different. 
  • It can vary depending on the teacher/parish, but it's generally going to be basic information about Catholicism, with lots of scriptural references.  My class was mostly led by one woman, although she'd occasionally bring in other speakers when the topic of the evening called for it.  I don't think we ever watched videos, and there was actually not a whole lot of discussion -- lots of opportunities for Q&A, though.
    Anniversary

• Hello! Not a silly question at all! My fiancé is actually converting to be a Catholic. I was baptized and only made my communion as well. But not confirmed. & so I am going with him to the classes. We go every Monday. Its basically just going over every step that we all did when we were kids in the religion class.

Its a great way for us that grew up being Catholic as a refresh. Youll go over what it is to be Catholic, certain versus in the Bible etc. Just this past Monday we went to the church and did all the stations and what some of the stained glass windows represented.

I hope this helps! Some classes will drag but it will be well worth it. Its also another great way for your priest to get to know you both even more for the next 9 months. That's a bonus :)

Don't forget that Easter is late this year ladies!

Good luck! :)

• I've gone to two classes so far.

The not so good:  I'm scheduled to make my confirmation the morning AFTER my wedding.  Our priest is working on trying to change the schedule around so it will be done before.

The good good:  The priest that is marrying us is actually doing a bulk of the scheduled classes.  Every week is a different topic and there are plenty of guest speakers.  So far I've really enjoyed class and I'm kinda glad I skipped making my confirmation on time.  I feel like the scriptures are really broken down and I can appreciate and understand them more.  Whereas if I was a teenager I would have probably tuned out for the hour and went with the flow.

I was also able to speak to our priest after class about the wedding. (the woman at the rectory has been anything but helpful).  He said at the next class he's teaching (in 2 weeks) we'll set our first appointment to go over wedding stuff.  Apparently my church does that 6 months before the wedding.  I wish the woman at the rectory would have just said that instead of saying we'll be in touch.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @FutureMrsN3312 I am glad to hear that your RCIA experience is going well :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards