Wedding Reception Forum

Cocktail hour ideas

So I have been trying to come up with ideas for cocktail hour. How can I keep the guests entertained while we are taking pictures?

Re: Cocktail hour ideas

• Ummm...play some music, open up a bar, and put out some tasty appetizers? That's pretty much all there is to a cocktail hour.
  • PDKH said:
    Ummm...play some music, open up a bar, and put out some tasty appetizers? That's pretty much all there is to a cocktail hour.
    This.  Adults like to mingle and catch up with friends and family.  They really don't need much to keep them entertained.

• Don't over think it or stress yourself out. Adults are perfectly happy and have a lot of fun with food drinks and music. We also had a photo booth that was open the whole night (including cocktail hour). People liked that.
    *********************************************************************************

• Provide them with hors d'oeuvres, drinks (lemonade, water, pop, juice, wine, beer, mixed cocktails, whatever), and have a little music in the background. 
  • An open bar always keeps me entertained.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    An open bar always keeps me entertained.
    This.  Give me a cocktail and some cheese and crackers and I'm in heaven.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• KatWAG said:

This.  Give me a cocktail and some cheese and crackers and I'm in heaven.

Agreed on all counts.

Bonus points if there is a hot appetizer or two.
  • KatWAG said:

there is an open bar and apps. I was looking for more advice for the people who do not drink or who would get bored just standing around with a drink
  • yup have a DJ too... I saw people post photos of the past or their family. I was thinking of stuff like that.
  • Honestly, with a DJ, drinks, and food you have the makings of a great cocktail hour. People wont get bored as long as you keep it around an hour. 

People might skim through old photos or a slideshow, but max that would eat up like 5 minutes of their time. 

Don't worry too much about it. Think about when you go out with friends to eat or to a bar- you can have a perfectly good time just drinking and socializing. 
  • Just because people don't drink doesn't mean that they will get bored.  They will be snacking on your food and talking to people they know just like the guests who do drink.

Do not over think this.  Cocktail hours are my favorite part of weddings.  I love appetizers and it is the only time during many weddings where I don't feel the need to have my full attention on something scheduled by the bride and groom...just a time where I can relax and catch up with friends.

• I feel like somehow people have developed this idea that they must throw a wedding in which there is constant entertainment...nonstop...no matter what.  It's not like you are putting on some sort of Broadway production.  The whole idea of a wedding is to socialize, just as is any other party/event.  If people don't like socializing, then really that's on them, not on you.  As others have said, drinks and music and something to eat is plenty. 
  • People who don't drink alcohol will just drink water, soda, lemonade or whatever else you're serving. They'll still socialize and mingle like anyone else.
    *********************************************************************************

• You could also skip cocktail hour if possible. You dont have to have one. 
    Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

• You could also skip cocktail hour if possible. You dont have to have one. 
    Sure, if there's no gap.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • crltx said:
    yup have a DJ too... I saw people post photos of the past or their family. I was thinking of stuff like that.

My MOH is doing these fun fact cocktail napkins that contain facts about her and her fiancé on them. Won't take up much time, but is one form of entertainment. I flirted with the idea of having Wedding Mad Libs, but ultimately decided that I couldn't fit it into the budget. But those are always fun. Slideshows/photo albums/pictures of the bridal party along w/brief descriptions, all of these things can take up small amounts of time. But like everyone said, don't worry yourself too much over it. Apps, booze, and music should do the trick.
  • crltx said:
    yup have a DJ too... I saw people post photos of the past or their family. I was thinking of stuff like that.

My MOH is doing these fun fact cocktail napkins that contain facts about her and her fiancé on them. Won't take up much time, but is one form of entertainment. I flirted with the idea of having Wedding Mad Libs, but ultimately decided that I couldn't fit it into the budget. But those are always fun. Slideshows/photo albums/pictures of the bridal party along w/brief descriptions, all of these things can take up small amounts of time. But like everyone said, don't worry yourself too much over it. Apps, booze, and music should do the trick.
    So she think people reading cocktail napkins will keep them entertained?

Anniversary

• crltx said:
    I've seen people have photos sitting out.  They aren't "entertaining", they won't keep your guests occupied.  People will look at them, say something about how cute you were as a kid or whatever and move on.  

At a cocktail hour I have a drink, grab some food, hit the restroom, freshen my makeup, and talk to whoever I know at the party.  Now that I have a kid I throw a diaper change into the mix.  I don't need or want anything else to fill that time that I feel like I have to focus my attention on.  Oh, and make sure there is a place for everyone to sit.  The last wedding I went to only had 12 chairs in the cocktail area.  They were all taken so the pregnant woman had to stand and my husband and I kept passing our baby back and forth.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our cocktail hour =  booze, food, and someone playing a guitar.   Not so complicated. 
  • crltx said:
    So I have been trying to come up with ideas for cocktail hour. How can I keep the guests entertained while we are taking pictures?
    The cocktail hour, if hosted properly with food, beverages and perhaps some music, IS the entertainment.  Nothing more needed. Trust me, your guests won't be bored while you're taking pictures.  Cocktail hour is one of my favorite parts of a wedding.
  • mysticl said:
    crltx said:
    I've seen people have photos sitting out.  They aren't "entertaining", they won't keep your guests occupied.  People will look at them, say something about how cute you were as a kid or whatever and move on.  

At a cocktail hour I have a drink, grab some food, hit the restroom, freshen my makeup, and talk to whoever I know at the party.  Now that I have a kid I throw a diaper change into the mix.  I don't need or want anything else to fill that time that I feel like I have to focus my attention on.  Oh, and make sure there is a place for everyone to sit.  The last wedding I went to only had 12 chairs in the cocktail area.  They were all taken so the pregnant woman had to stand and my husband and I kept passing our baby back and forth.   

WTF?!! Why didn't anyone with a seat give theirs up?

Anniversary

• crltx said:

So she think people reading cocktail napkins will keep them entertained?

By themselves? Of course not. But it's a cute, fun idea to add to the open bar, appetizers, and band.
  • Just have food and beverages. No cutesy "activities" are necessary.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • mysticl said:
    crltx said:

WTF?!! Why didn't anyone with a seat give theirs up?

Drat stuck in the freaking box.  It was mostly older people and kids who snagged the chairs.  The pregnant woman is also pretty young (an adult but not by much) and if you don't know her you may not realize she's pregnant.  So they may have thought that the youngster who could stand to lose a few pounds could stand.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • All you need is booze and food. The rest will take care of itself.
  • i'm with everyone else, some good appetizers and open bar are all I look for in a cocktail hour.   you can do a signature drink if you want something different to pass out. 
  • I've been to weddings where I barely knew anyone there, and the random little things--like pictures laid out, or the suggested cocktail napkins with facts on them--were the type of thing that at least I could PRETEND to be paying attention to, so I didn't feel like a loser standing there awkwardly, and also things I could use as a conversation starter "Oh, look, your napkin is different than mine! Wow, did you know the bride spoke French? That's so cool, I've always wanted to go to France. Have you ever been?". For example. 

Also, seating for everyone is not required at a cocktail hour. It's an hour, and people are supposed to be up and moving around. It sucks if there are people who need to sit, and others are being rude and sitting instead. But I can't blame a bride and groom for that. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards