Florida-Central Florida
Options

Dissappointed in the Citrus Club

We were looking at the Citrus Club for a venue for our ceremony and reception. It was not our #1 choice, but it was high up there and it was my parents' #1 choice (they are paying).
Now, my fiance and I are vegan and therefore are having an entirely vegan wedding. Since of course many vendors don't offer vegan services or don't understand what vegan means, that has always been something we have made clear in our first communication we have had with each and every vendor. I don't want to waste their valuable time (I feel as though that it is rude to lead on a vendor) and I definitely don't want to waste my time when I'm planning a wedding in 8 months while also trying to handle the most difficult semester of my college career.
When I contacted the Citrus Club (they do their catering in house and only allow cakes from one baker), the first question I asked was if they could do an entirely vegan wedding. In their contact form they even had a section to select if you needed to cater to an alternative diet. I was pretty impressed, however I also asked for sample menus just to be sure the food looked like something our omni guests would like (literally the LAST thing we want to serve is tofu and quinoa).
They responded by saying they do "vegan packages." And sent me a PDF of all of their packages. None were vegan. It took me two more tries to get a sample menu, and during this time I also contacted the baker. Today I finally get a copy of their vegan menu, which is also their gluten free and vegetarian menu (which baffles me since those are all very different diets). It was 3 items. The items were Caribbean tofu, fried rice, and quinoa stuffed peppers. For a $13,000+ wedding. The response from the baker was that they absolutely do not do vegan cakes.
I was so upset and offended that this women wasted so much of my time, and I also felt as though any vegetarians or clients with celiac disease would also feel pretty upset if they were lead to get their hopes up for a venue only to figure out it could never work.
I guess I'm just ranting but so far other vendors have been fairly straightforward with me about whether or not they can meet our needs. I'm not going to be offended or upset that someone can't cater a vegan wedding. It takes a whole different skill set. Some venues have said no, some have said yes but have given me a lackluster menu right up front, and others have gone out of their way to show me their options and work with me.

However it does bother me that a well respected venue lied to me and wasted this much of my time (plus they got my parents hopes up out the atmosphere. They are paying and they had fallen in love with the place). Maybe I'm just venting but grrr.

Re: Dissappointed in the Citrus Club

• Options
    I'm so sorry you wasted your time. Although, my menu wasn't as specific as yours, I also felt that there was no point in wasting my time if the venue wasn't able to accommodate our wants/needs.  These venues will sometimes say anything to get us to sign the contract so it's good you are vigilant. You'll find another venue that you and your parents will fall in love with.
  • Options
    I am having my wedding there and I still haven't seen a menu. I asked if they have something that has all the meals they serve, like a menu. The representative emailed me two pork entrees, two salmon entrees and two chicken entrees. I find that so odd. I think it's a pretty basic thing to have, a list of the food that you serve. I finally just went on their Facebook page and compiled my own list based on the Chef's specials. 

They used to work with another cake baker called Frosting on the Cake and she runs a smaller operation. That's who I am using. She might be able to work with you on a vegan cake. I think that you're allowed to bring in another cake vendor, you just don't get the $3.75 slice credit. That was my understanding anyway. I know Rhapsodic Bakery on Mills does vegan cakes if that helps you at all. 

Some venues like the Longwood Community Center let you bring in your own caterer. Maybe you can approach one of your favorite vegan restaurants about catering your wedding? My niece has celiac disease so we are going to talk to what options the Citrus Club has that is gluten free. I'm not overly optimistic based on your experience. My sister has started carrying gluten free pasta with her so we might have to ask them to prepare that. 

Good luck with your planning and your last semester of college!
  • Options
    Ok, so they aren't just super strange with the vegan menus, I'm glad I'm not alone there.

We have found another location - we are doing it at the Science Center which was our top choice anyways. They allow caters from a list and at least 2 or 3 on the list can do vegan. We've been speaking with Puff N Stuff and are very impressed. Also, while the Citrus Club is pretty beyond belief, the Science Center is just completely US, if that makes any sense. It might need a little more finesse and decor to make it really classy, but in the end it's going to be Guy and Shell to the core.

The only real vegan restaurant in the area is Ethos and they don't cater and aren't that good (I swear I'm the pickiest vegan in the world. However, at least I'm aware of it and everyone involved in planning knows that food has to be a priority).

We are going to a tasting with Raphsodic just for the heck of it, but honestly we both think their cakes taste like crap. We've found a few traditional bakers that say they can do vegan. The first tasting was with Sprinkles and it was a disaster. It was nice of them to try making vegan cakes but they were not good. It actually made me sick! We have another today with Cupcake Crazy and one with Sugar Suite later this week so I'm hoping those go better. I've heard good things about Sugar Suite's vegan cakes before. I'm a baker so I know exactly what is possible with a vegan cake, meaning I'm not going to buy someone saying that a vegan cake will always be way too dense or you can't make a vegan buttercream that will hold up fondant (seriously if I didn't know my anxiety would go into overdrive I'd do my own cake). I might actually check with Frosting on the Cake and see if they are able to try out a vegan cake. We want a lot of options since we're so picky.

Thanks so much and sorry for the weird rant.
  • Options
    @ShellLillian we're getting married at the Science Center, too! I was amazed at how beautiful it looks all dressed up. 
  • Options
    It really does get very pretty and elegant. We both LOVE science and dinosaurs but when I first heard they did weddings I thought it was really silly.
    Once we actually saw pictures, we were sold. Every other option was just a backup.
    It took some convincing to get the parents on board but we did.

When is your date?
  • Options
    Nov 3! Only 17 more days. When is yours?
  • Options
    May 31st! We have the date reserved, and we're paying the deposit today.
    Let me know how it goes! We are so excited.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards