Honeymoon Discussions

Croatia??

We are thinking of a possible change in plans for our honeymoon and looking heavily into Croatia. 

Has anyone been?  Where did you stay?  What were the highlights? 

Re: Croatia??

• I adored Croatia.  It's just gorgeous and the people are very friendly.  My favorite city was Split, which is on the Adriatic Sea and was where the emperor Diocletian retired in 305.  Old Town is located in his palace, which is built like a large fortress, and the rest of the city has spread around it.  I think I loved the alleyways the most.  I'd like to go back and visit Plitvice Lakes National Park and the amazing waterfalls there.

• We've thought Split looks amazing as well.  Do you mind if I ask where you stayed?
  • Croatia was WONDERFUL! Plitvice Lakes National Park was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. There are a few hotels at the park. It's probably not a multi day destination, but it's definitely worth it to go for an after/day. 

• My XH is from Croatia so I've been there five times.  You cannot go wrong on the coast at all.  Rovinj, up north on the Istrian peninsula,  is probably my favorite place in the entire world. Opatja, down the road from there has a beautiful resort feel to it.  Pula has a better colosseum than the tone in Rome.  Dubrovnik....the pictures just speak for itself.  The old city and walking the walls is amazing.   If you fly into Zagreb and rent a car you can also do a fantastic drive over a couple of days to explore the castles up on the Hungarian boarder in the forested area.

If you want any info or have specific questions feel free to send me a PM.   
  • My FI's family immigrated from Croatia (I think it was his great-grandfather) and we would love to visit someday.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Hi! I traveled to Croatia in October 2012 and it is one of my favorite countries I have ever visited. It would be a GREAT place for a Honeymoon. Very romantic.
    Definitely don't miss Dubrovnik right on the Adriatic Sea, and you can easily take a quick boat ride over to the Isle of Lokrum which is a quiet, secluded escape from the tourists in the Old Town (there are also a bunch of peacocks all over the island!)
    If you're going during warm weather, you should island hop along the coast (I couldn't because I went in the fall).
    I stayed several days in Split but it wasn't my favorite. I think it only affords a day or two, but lots of people come in there on cruises and that's the only part of the country they are exposed to. It just didn't wow me.
    However, the Plitvice Lakes National Park was every bit as beautiful as everyone says it is. I was worried about traveling there by bus but it actually was no problem. There are lots of nice bed and breakfasts in/around the park that I would highly recommend stay at because they are run by actual Crotian families and it is really cool to get to know your hosts (they also treat you extra wonderfully).
    Croatia also has great food, wine and beers.
    I loved the entire Balkan region, actually. I think you could have a relaxing, romantic trip or an adventurous trip, or a mixture.
    I just can't say enough good things about it!
    p.s. For what it's worth, I flew into London from the US and then booked a cheap ticket on EasyJet straight into Dubrovnik.
    If you decide to go and want any other specific advice, feel free to message me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards