Virginia
Options

Brides thinking about Mountain Lake

Don't.

I had my wedding there in June and when we first signed our contract, it was under old management. When Management changed hands in December, things got hairy. The woman I was told was now coordinating my wedding ended up being temporary.  I was then pushed on to two other "coordinators" before I talked with the final one about a month before ( I met her the day of the wedding). We were constantly pushed off on other people. I must say the last coordinator who actually was there our wedding day was very helpful and via email knew what our wedding was about.

On to the week of the wedding.

My Father in law booked a room in January. Not only did they quote him a wrong price, but come 2 days before the wedding when they arrived here, They did not even have their reservation on file. In fact, all of our guests had problems with their rooms but 2 couples. When my Father in law arrived at his room that night, there was a lugie in the sink, and a dark stained ring in the toilet.  When he called room service to clean it up, they came in and wiped the sink and left. After much fighting, My FIL got moved to another room. We had a block of rooms for the wedding and not all of our family was in that block. Also they told my friends they could stay in their room for one night and then would have to move since someone else reserved it. They moved all their stuff to another room only to find out the other people who reserved the room was them. Also, our families were supposed to be offered a room rate either including breakfast or not. Almost everyone's rooms were messed up and the day of the Wedding, They were telling our guests they had to pay for breakfast. None of our guests were aware of the difference in rates. After much discussing with management, everything was squared away.

When my photographer came to the hotel, she asked twice where she could find the wedding party and the staff was not aware there was a wedding.

The wedding went swimmingly (like I said, the coordinator was very good) and we had an light food reception which was very good. Our wedding was early in the day and was over by 5. Most of our guests wanted dinner following the wedding. My family made reservations and then canceled them because in their rooms there were event cards stating that night Mountain Lake was providing bluegrass and bbq for a small fee at 6. Around 6:30 we called to see when that would start and they said that it was last weekend. We made reservations for the restaurant there following. My Husbands family and I ate in the dining room and the food was very very bland. There was absolutly no seasoning in anything and it was outrageously priced. My sister, brother and grandma ordered food at the bar. when they first went to order the bar told her "that was not her job" ( they were directed over there earlier by staff to order). When my grandma ordered the bartender rolled her eyes at her. After argument again, our needs were met and the situation addressed.

Last part:
My mother in law bought our room for the wedding night. By the way, the rooms are not what you would expect for the price. When we went to check out the next morning, they told us our bill for the wedding, alcohol and the room we stayed in. Mind you we already paid for the whole wedding and were not paying for the room. After investigation they saw we did in fact already pay for the wedding. We paid for the alcohol and told them that my MIL was paying for our room and she is the one who booked the room for us. They proceeded to ask us what room she was in. We told them we did not know, shouldn't they know that. They said our block they just booked everyone under our new last name. They then proceeded to tell us they had a credit card on file for one of our blocks and told us the 4 digit number and asked if they should charge that card. We said no and the manager came down and sent us on our way.

Just last month they charged my MIL for the room for us and our FIL paid for us to have extra food and they just charged him as well. 3 months after the event. It is a beautiful venue and our wedding went off with out a problem, but if you are looking for a low stress event, I would suggest somewhere else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards