Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding website registry wording--help!

maryemoomaryemoo member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited October 2013 in Wedding Etiquette Forum

We designed a free website through TK, and our registry tab says  "Currently we are registered at Bed Bath & Beyond, and are planning on registering at Macy's and Kohl's or Target as well, to accommodate for people who don't live next to the main store."

I wanted to put something explaining how if they don't like/want to purchase off of the registries that simple gift cards would be okay too, but this seems kind of rude...we definitely are not expecting a gift from anyone and will be happy with whatever we get, but we have a lot of younger people coming and I feel like they won't want to buy things like towels/sheets/home décor, etc. and wanted to let them know that they don't have to feel like they're buying the wrong thing if they go off the registry. Should I just list the places we DO have registries with, and leave it at that?

Re: Wedding website registry wording--help!

• Options
    Just list the places you are registered. If someone wants to get you something else, they will do so, and you will send a thank you note, and it will all be fine.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Also, do we put where we're registered on the invites or STDs, or stick something in the envelopes? BB&B gave us cards to stick in with our invites, but I've seen a lot of posts saying it should be word of mouth, which I'm not sure would work, because a lot of our family members don't really intermingle.
  • Options
    Just list where you are registered. Nothing else is needed - people know what registries are for. If I were you, I would remove the "We are planning to register...to accommodate guests who live far away" language. I don't know - to me that sounds like "Don't worry! We are going to make it super easy for you to buy us stuff!"

People can order online. 
  • Options
    maryemoo said:
    Also, do we put where we're registered on the invites or STDs, or stick something in the envelopes? BB&B gave us cards to stick in with our invites, but I've seen a lot of posts saying it should be word of mouth, which I'm not sure would work, because a lot of our family members don't really intermingle.
    Do not list registry or any gift info on the STD or the invite. If someone throws you a shower they can list your registry info on the shower invite. Throw away those BBB cards or use them as scrap paper - shred them for confetti - or anything else, but don't give them to people ;-) If you don't have a shower, registry info will be word of mouth or, more likely than not, people will just search for your registry. You're hitting the main ones so folks should be able to find your registry very easily :-) GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    DO NOT put anything related to your registries anywhere except your website. 
  • Options
    STUCK IN BOX: NOOOOOOOO
  • Options

If you have a shower, your shower guests at least will know where you are registered.  Anyone else can ask you/FI/parents where you are registered or do a simple Google search: "Bride's Name and Groom's Name wedding registry".  Try it yourself, if you have registered yet they should pop up. 

On your website just state:

Maryemoo & FI are registered at BBB and wherever.  Don't add this info to your website until you have already registered.  There's no point in telling your guests that you may register at Macy's or Target or Kohl's. 

Leave off the line about gift cards.  Everyone knows that a gift card (especially to a store where you are registered, so obviously want things from there) is a fine gift. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I agree with all PPs about mentioning giftcards.  I understand your reasoning but young people will purchase gift cards on their own, especially because they are more likely to purchase a gift card instead of going through a registry and purchasing an item.  The more you write under the "registry" tab, the more likely you will be to alienate or offend guests.  I am a BM in a wedding the month before mine and the bride has an entire paragraph about how they are starting their life together and buying a house and that they prefer gift cards or monetary gifts over anything else.  This offended myself and multiple guests so far.  All you need on a wedding website is the link to your registries, no further direction is needed :)

I personally am tossing the registry cards because it is very easy to put a bride or groom's name into the Target or BBB registry website to find them if it is not on the website.  I don't feel the need to point out that we are wanting gifts because contrary to the new popular opinion, gifts are not expected but instead pleasant surprises to be thankful for. Oh, and people will ask you where you are registered also. I don't know how common it is for other brides, but I was asked a few times before we registered. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Never put registry information in your invitations or on STDs (and throw away those registry cards).

Also, I wouldn't put it on your website either.  What you can do is have a link they can click if they have unanswered questions that will email you, and you can respond with the registry information if they ask you first-not the other way around.  Otherwise, this has the appearance of a gift grab because you're not supposed to "expect" gifts even if guests are supposed to give you gifts.  If someone wants to know where you are registered, they can ask you.

I wouldn't register for gift cards-one thing that shouldn't go on registries is requests for cash, and gift cards are another form of cash, because many people are offended by requests for cash or gift cards.

• Options
    Tell BB & B where they can shove their little registry cards.

Or burn them for fuel.

Anniversary

• Options
    huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2013
    Jen4948 said:
    Never put registry information in your invitations or on STDs (and throw away those registry cards).

Also, I wouldn't put it on your website either.  What you can do is have a link they can click if they have unanswered questions that will email you, and you can respond with the registry information if they ask you first-not the other way around.  Otherwise, this has the appearance of a gift grab because you're not supposed to "expect" gifts even if guests are supposed to give you gifts.  If someone wants to know where you are registered, they can ask you.

I wouldn't register for gift cards-one thing that shouldn't go on registries is requests for cash, and gift cards are another form of cash, because many people are offended by requests for cash or gift cards.

You are allowed to put the link on your website, but it should be on a separate page and very subtle- like at the bottom of the tabs. No other wording is necessary.  When I did my knot website it was freaky that it already knew where we were registered!  
    Never put registry info on your save the dates, or invites. It is acceptable for the hostess of your shower to put names of the stores on the bridal shower invites.  That is the only invitation that this is allowed. 

• Options
    Also added to this.. if you're using theknot for the website, they will pull your registries like some above mentioned. It will make a direct link to your registries and will be added on to your website. This way you don't have to say anything, it just shows the store's name and they click it and boom there's your list.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

A lot of stores (I know Macy's and Crate & Barrel do it because it's where I registered..) allow you to add a "purchase the couple of gift card" option at the bottom of the registry.  I personally love that option when I'm buying a registry gift for someone, if a gift in the amount I want to spend (usually $50 for a bridal shower gift, I give cash at weddings..) isn't available on the registry, I just get a gift card.

As I recall, you can write "more to come!" or "check back later for updates" or something along those lines on your TK registry page of your wedding website.  Beware if you put the links to your registry on your website though- even though TK offers it as an option, the registries will forever show up in google search results! 

• Options
    aprilpeter12aprilpeter12 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2013

On the wedding website one can add all the details of the wedding like events, venue, photos, about the theme of the wedding gift registry information. Some people also include the list of their registry items and food which is going to be served at the time of the wedding. You can decorate it according to the theme of the wedding and some beautiful photographs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards