May 2014 Weddings

Dress Shopping suggestions

Hey everyone!! 

I am going dress shopping this Saturday and I am beyond excited!!! Does anyone have any good tips? 

This will be my 1st time looking for myself. 

Thank You :) 

Re: Dress Shopping suggestions

• Will you be going by yourself? I was originally going to go by myself but I was so happy I didn't because my friend was able to photograph and video me in each dress. I really loved a dress then saw just how big my butt looked in it in the pics! Then I wrote off one dress in the shop and saw the pics at home and realized I spoke too soon. Needless to say that became my dress (:
    -anjo (aka the future mrs miley :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wear full coverage underwear! :) Also, you should know that it will be hot in there so be prepared for that. I wore my hair down and a full face of make up because I wanted to see how it was going to look with me all done up and I really wish I would have gone a little more low key because putting on and taking off dresses all day in hot dressing rooms was unpleasant. 

I would also say it's ok to let the consultant know if you don't want to try something on. I didn't like the way white looked on me so after the first couple of white dresses I told them to stop bringing me white. Any white dresses that they brought me I made them take back. I knew I didn't want them and I didn't want to waste my time.
  • Ditto what everyone else already said.

And try not to try on too many dresses.  I think it just winds up confusing you and will make it become overwhelming.

Keep an open mind.  I thought I knew what I wanted and wound up in the total opposite.  FI's aunt works at the salon where I got my dress.  When she knew I was coming in she pulled 3 dresses for me.  I tried them on to appease her never thinking I'd wind up liking them.  2nd dress of her choice was my dress.

Don't bring too many people.  I'm happy just my mom and I went.  I remember prom dress shopping with my mom and aunts.  The different opinions make something enjoyable really stressful.  (For me at least)

Good Luck and let us know how it goes :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am taking my mother, MOH and my FMIL. That is it!! I can not believe how many people have asked me if they could go with me to find my dress!! It is unreal. 

I also plan on only showing my dress to those three people and my other 3 bridesmaids. That is it!! I am strange and want it to be a surprise to people. :) 

All great advice ladies.. Thank you.
  • @tammym1001 - glad to hear I wasn't the only one roasting in there.  I thought there was something wrong with me!! I was um....glistening... while trying dresses on, haha.....

when I went back to try my dress on after it came in, I was sweating again! we were in a different section of the store, too. why do they do that?

I would definitely just take the essential crew - I only took my mom, and that was opinion enough between her, the consultant, and me.  I also took a bottle of water and a granola bar (although I only ate when I wasn't in a dress).  It takes a while and I get cranky/impatient when I'm thirsty and hungry so I headed that problem off from the start.  (I sound like a little kid here!)

Finally, what others have said - be open to trying on styles that you don't think you want.  I never wanted sparkly, and my dress is covered in sequins.  The dream dress that I saw in a magazine and figured I'd end up with, actually looked awful on me.  My consultant was really good at pulling styles that worked with my body type, which was also really helpful! Have fun!!

• My suggestions:
    - Do research before going. Look online for dresses you like and bring pictures to show sales person.
    - Do not take a lot of people with you. This will lessen the different opinions.
    - When you try on the one, you will know because you will feel and see yourself as a bride.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agree with all of the above, however... Do not overwhelm yourself looking at too many dresses! I thought that I was doing myself a favour by going through hundreds and hundreds of pictures on multiple websites, picking out my fave designers and ruling out shapes and styles I "knew" I would never like... In the end, I walked into the store not even knowing what I wanted anymore, because what I wanted had changed so frequently, sometimes even based on my mood. And yes, definitely try on things you don't think you'll like, and if you feel like one dress is staring at you or calling you and you don't even know if you like it... Try it on! That is most likely your dress.

• Ditto what everyone has said.  And as to the heat problem, you ladies have no idea!! Holy cow!! I'm already a warm body to begin with, I am one of the few girls that almost never gets cold.  There would be dresses that I would love, but I could already feel myself getting hot in it and all I kept thinking was "outside, end of May, high probability of heat and humidity" and I would sweat more lol.  I had to be very careful with the dress weight thing.  Thankfully I found one that I not only don't get hot in, but absolutely gorgeous :)

And number one thing, have fun!! You only get to do this once so be sure to have fun and try not to get too stressed out :)

Anniversary
  • Hate the part about crying at DB in a bad way, but LOVE the part about you finding your dress! Congratulations!!! What does it look like?

• Congrats on the dress!!! and yeah, I'm sorry you were crying at DB.  I cried when I was at home in bed with FI the first day. I had a rough first day trying on dresses, and the stress sort of boiled over.  But it was a relief to find the right one!! :D and please post pics of it!! :D
    Anniversary
  • Congrats on finding your dress!!! I have not found mine yet and I know I need to. I am sorry about the visit at DB. I went there as well and did not have a great experience. I am glad you got awesome service at the boutique store and found 'The One!'  
  • Congrats!!!! Let us see :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The dress will actually be in Ivory and I will have a lace Bolero that I will wear during the ceremony and take it off for the reception. 

I have always wanted lace on my dress before it became popular. My moms mom as well as my mom all had lace and want to continue the tradition. The best part is that,  I can take the lace off for the reception and wear a necklace with my new initials on it!! 

So I get little of the old and traditional plus a little new and fun :) 
  • @msdidonato

I LOVE it!!!!!!
    Thank you so much!!!! It is WAY more fitted than I expected to get. :) But it is GREAT motivation to tone up. 
  • Amazeballs! I love it. That looks so elegant and flattering, and still fun!

• Beautiful!!! and what a sweet, tradition you and your family have, that is just wonderful!
    Anniversary
  • @msdidonato I LOVE your dress! it's gorgeous. 

and I have the initials necklace too, I'm so excited to wear it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards