Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Bench fee?

I just got a wedding booklet from my church in the mail, and for the music section it says, "Music fees are $200, and a bench fee is $75."  So, not to be a moron or anything, but what is a bench fee?
This knottie's been ransacked, suckas!

Re: Bench fee?

• The "bench fee" is the fee you pay to the organist if you elect to use your own musician(s) instead of the church organist.  The idea is that the organist gives up other opportunities so as to be available as needed for that church, so should receive a fee even if on a particular occasion his or her services are not needed.
  • Okay, so if I use their organist, the fee is waived? Or does the guy get the $75 either way?
  • I'm a church organist.  2D is right about the bench fee.  It's the fee I get if someone chooses to bring in their own organist/musician for their wedding instead of hiring me to play.

The bench fee is only assessed if you don't use my services.  So from your OP, I'm going to  assume your cost would be $200 if you're using the church's musician.

FWIW:  I often waive my bench fee, particularly if I know the couple.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Thanks ladies. Trix, that's very considerate of you to waive your fee! I figure I'll just use the church's musicians, since they're wonderful.  Thanks for the clarification!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards