Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake Filling

I don't really care about the wedding cake, but fiance is into it.  However, neither of us know much or care about cake fillings.  Is this some sort of "required" wedding cake thing or can we just have regular cake?  Clearly we know nothing about this.... thanks!

Re: Cake Filling

• If you are doing a tiered wedding cake then yes you really need a filling. The cakes are 4" tall so it's actually 2 - 2" layers stacked on top of each other. You need something in between those layers, but it could just be frosting if you aren't real big on other kinds of fillings.
  • You can just have regular cake.  Normal layered cakes you can get at the food store have icing in between the layers which I guess you can refer to as "filling".  But in the baking world "filling" refers to differing flavors then the outside frosting.  Fillings can be fruit based, cream/custard base, mousse base, etc.

What kind of flavors do the two of you like?  I would start there and then go and speak with a baker and taste some of the things they offer.

• You can just have regular cake.  Normal layered cakes you can get at the food store have icing in between the layers which I guess you can refer to as "filling".  But in the baking world "filling" refers to differing flavors then the outside frosting.  Fillings can be fruit based, cream/custard base, mousse base, etc.

What kind of flavors do the two of you like?  I would start there and then go and speak with a baker and taste some of the things they offer.
    The highlighted made me hungry.

OP - If you do a layered cake you need something between the layers (frosting, filling, etc.). If you're not into this, but your fiance is, let him handle the cake and it can be a project he takes on. If you go through a baker and get a traditional wedding cake, you're looking at spending a whole lot more money than if you do Costco/grocery store cake. As long as you're cool with that, let your fiance explore the wonderful world of wedding cakes. :)
    *********************************************************************************

• Fiance is anti-filling.  I'm open to it.  We are doing a few tastings this weekend so we will find out.  I just wasn't sure if we could say "No filing" without being looked at like we are crazy.  He said he just wants icing as filing.  I don't really care unless I taste something this weekend that is amazing...

Thanks ladies!
  • Definitely do a tasting. You'll be surprised at what these bakers come up with. Deliciousness!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards