40-Plus Brides

Mother of the 40+ Bride

Tonight my mom commented that she will be too old to be a MOB.  She'll be 69 when I get married.   She says she doesn't want to walk down the aisle, do the fancy dress, etc.  Did anybody else experience this?  She was all over mob for my first wedding.

Re: Mother of the 40+ Bride

• How does she plan to get down the aisle in her stretch pants?
  • Our parents are 78- 80 and don't want any hoopla over them.  No corsages.  No part of a processional.   They'll make sure everyone is ready to go and then go sit in the front row and are honored in the program.  I'm fine with it. We're just not having a big, traditional wedding so it doesn't seem odd to me.
  • I just attended a wedding where the MOF was the flower girl. She wore stretch pants and say in the seat in the front aisle once she reached the end of the aisle. It was sweet.
    I know this dies t answer your question but hoped it would be ok to share here
    The wedding couple were over 40 too.
  • Thanks.  I hope she gets into things soon.   She has always been embarrassed by her age (she still has my graduation picture on her desk at work)  She is being very supportive, but I think the fact she is starting to have some minor issues getting around (knees) is bothering her that she thinks she'll embarrass me.
  • My mom was 73 and my dad was 77 when I got married. They both got all dressed up.
  • I'm getting married next week.  Mom is 74 and Dad is 77.  They did not want the hoopla either.  Since this my second marriage Dad was quite happy not to walk me down the aisle.  I will walk down he aisle with my FH.  Mom is wearing a suit that she wore as a guest to another wedding.   Dad has a suit that still fits.  There will be no special "seating of the mothers".   Don't know what my future MIL will wear.  I told her what mom is wearing an that her corsage is white.  No idea what she will show up wearing.
  • That's great.  My dad is the complete opposite!!!  He's walking me down the aisle, renting the tux, dancing with me, he wants daddy's little girl again, I have other thoughts. He's bought (again) the father of the bride hat.  He's over the moon.  He also LOVES being a grandfather.  Its my mom and her age.  She'll get over it or my dad said he'll sit next to some one else.
  • It's is my first wedding so both my parents are all excited. Mom will be 66 and dad will be 70.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is my one and only wedding and I'm the only girl. So my mom and dad who will both be 67 at the time of my wedding are in full swing ready for everything. And I am so tickled my dad will not only still be able to walk me down the isle but do the father/daughter dance. Those 2 things are pretty much the only reason we are not simply eloping. Those are the two things I really wanted since I was a little girl and darn it I'm gonna get it!! LOL
    But seriously my mom was funny when I took her to see the dress I choose and how amendment she was that it was hers to buy ( I so was not expecting that ).
    But even if mom and dad didnt want to do the 'whole' thing I cant imagine any parent not at least arriving nicely dressed and able to sit in the front row to watch their daughter even if they were not part of a formal processional.
  • My parents are both 77.  This is my first marriage and my FI's second and we are not doing a huge traditional wedding but I have asked my dad to walk me down the "aisle".  I put quotes around aisle because I have no idea what that will look like yet as we are getting married at a local park.  The guys are wearing khaki pants with navy blue camp shirts (FI's is ivory colored) and I've told my FMIL and mom they can wear whatever color dress they want.

Before FI and I got together my parents used to make little jokes about needing to hurry up or they'd need oxygen and walkers to attend my wedding.  But now that it is only 5 months away they are both thrilled.

I hope you mom comes around soon!  :-)
    Anniversary
  • My mom will be 71 when I get married. I'm not having her walk down the aisle and I'm not doing the Father daughter Dance. I'm not even having my Dad walk me down the aisle. Although this is my first marriage, I'm 41. If figure, I've been taking care of myself for a long time now. I don't need anyone to give me away. I am asking my mom to wear a nice dress & plan to honor her with a corsage but that will pretty much be the extent of it. Maybe you're mom would be willing to make a compromise.
  • The cool thing is finally finding posts about brides who are older!  But, my son will walk me down the aisle, he will be 18.  Mom and my future husband's inlaws (he is a widower) will be seated together, ladies with wrist flowers.  future husband's parents are deceased and my father is deceased.

My mom is quiet too about planning, but she is also 80.  She has volunteered to buy my cake - she made my first one 27 years ago.  Arthritis is preventing her from making this one.  But, she is still fretting over what to wear.   (she is so funny). 

I am 52, my amazing FH is only 50  :-)

• Your mom might be saying that she thinks your second wedding is growing too big - not in keeping with the classy, smaller, low-key 2nd wedding.  She already did the big MOB for your first wedding, and she sees her role as different for this wedding.
  • My 77 year old mom is excited, this is my first wedding although I have a 27 year old daughter.  I will be walking solo, don't feel right having someone "give"me away.   My daugher and his will stand with us but that's the extent of it.   My Dad would be thrilled but he's bedridden and I don't think there is anyway he could make it to a wedding so I haven't even told him or my Stepmom.  .  Sometime I feel guilty for not telling them, but our plans for a destination wedding won't work for him. I'll tell them after it's done and take the video to show them
    We had our dream wedding in Las Vegas - 11.29.2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards