Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaid robes

Does anyone know of a great place that I can order a couple of bridesmaid robes for the morning of my wedding?? Id like to save a little bit of money to stay within my budget. If there is any place that has a coupon or if it's cheaper to buy the robes then personalize them myself. What has everyone else done?

Re: Bridesmaid robes

• Options
    I wouldn't want a robe, and I definitely wouldn't want a personalized one. Save your money - why not spend it on gifts tailored to their interests?
  • Options
    If you're trying to stay within budget and save money, I would skip the robes. Your BMs will be nice to you and thank you for them, but the general consensus (lurk on a few threads on this topic) is that nobody really likes them or uses them after the wedding. 

Your money will go a lot further getting them something personal. Like movie tickets for the movie goer, coffee/a mug for the coffee shop lover, a clutch for the bar hopper, etc. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Try Etsy! There are soooo many different people making them and you can read reviews to get an idea of quality.

I think the robes are a great gift. They make the getting ready pics look beautiful. And I can think of lots of fun ways to enjoy the robes afterwards ;)
  • Options
    Robes are not something I'd want to be photographed in. I would find it immodest and borderline embarassing.

I also don't need a robe to "get ready" in. Everyone woman knows to wear a zip up or button up to the hair salon.

PLEASE check with your bridesmaids and their comfort level before making any purchases. Remember, these are your friends and not props for your wedding. Most will prefer to wear their own clothes.
  • Options

there recently was an entire thread on this over on A&A.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Few people wear robes, and the ones who do already own one. I don't wear a robe, and wouldn't be photographed in one, ever, no matter how much I like the bride. I know those robed BM getting ready pictures are cute, but when it comes time to order and frame prints, you aren't going to pick the one of your BMs in robes and rollers, you are going to pick one of your BMs in their dresses holding their bouquets. Look around your living room, not a lot of pictures of friends and family in their PJs, right? Save your money, or spend it on something good.
    Dear Lord...this!
  • Options
    Robes do not qualify as gifts for your bridesmaids because you want them to wear them for you, on your wedding day.  The robes should also not have the word "bridesmaid" or your wedding date or anything like that on them.  As for you wanting to save money on them, forgoing the robes would save you a lot of money.  If you do get the robes, don't force anyone who isn't comfortable in them to wear them or solely wear the robe (I, personally, would wear the robe but wear something else underneath).  
  • Options
    Save your money and skip the robes.  They aren't cute, they're embarrassing.  I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one getting ready for a wedding.  
  • Options
    I don't understand this trend. 

• Options
    Honestly, if I was in a wedding and was given a robe to wear during the 'getting ready' pictures, I wouldn't do it, or I'd put it on over my street clothes.  No way in hell would I be in front of a stranger with a camera wearing little more than underwear.  That's just creepy, overly personal, and inappropriately sexual.  Your precious getting ready pictures wouldn't include me, and I'd be getting dressed in the bathroom.  Besides, what all is there to getting ready other than putting on dresses and shoes?  I'd arrive with my hair, makeup, and jewelry done. All I'd need to do is put on the dress and shoes, which I would never, ever do in front of a photographer, of any gender.  And the robe would be at Goodwill the next day. (I hate them, they're cold.)
  • Options
    I don't understand this trend, either. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Most likely the robes you are thinking of buying are cheap and definitely not something that most people will want to wear.  I love me a robe, but only a nice quality, fluffy, long robe.  I absolutely detest those short, cheap, "satin" robes, that you see in all those BM and bride getting ready pics.

Save your money.  Let your girls wear whatever they want the morning of.

• Options
    I personally would never wear a robe and let someone take pictures of me "getting ready" in one.  I would also be dropping into the goodwill bin on my way home from the wedding.  If you really want them and you KNOW all your girls will be comfortable wearing them then you can get them.  NOT as a gift, but as part of the required attire for your wedding. 
  • Options
    Just offering an alternate suggestion. I've seen bridal parties wearing the same long-sleeved button up shirts for those "getting ready" pictures. They could wear whatever bottoms they want. You can find them at Target, WalMart, etc and have them monogrammed with their initials if that's your thing. I also agree that this isn't a gift, but required attire for your wedding.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    katieg520 said:
    Just offering an alternate suggestion. I've seen bridal parties wearing the same long-sleeved button up shirts for those "getting ready" pictures. They could wear whatever bottoms they want. You can find them at Target, WalMart, etc and have them monogrammed with their initials if that's your thing. I also agree that this isn't a gift, but required attire for your wedding.
    Serious question. Do you know anyone who actually would or has kept and framed a 'getting ready' picture? Because I don't. Not one. The only pictures even remotely like that that I have are a handful in my wedding album where people are already dressed and are goofing off or posing together in the rooms we got ready in. Nobody is undressed/half-dressed in any of my pictures.
  • Options
    katieg520 said:
    Wait, so these would be "required" attire? You would "require" BMs to wear these while getting ready? 

Sorry, but if someone handed me a long-sleeve button up shirt with my initials on it, I'd thank them graciously, but wear my own clothes. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    OMg are you effing serious!! I offer an alternative just to throw it out there and y'all jump my ass like it's something I'm doing. I won't even be having a photographer at my house when my wedding party and I get ready, so we won't be having matching anything. I could say the sky is blue around here and y'all would jump my ass and tell me what shade it ACTUALLY is and how RUDE it is that I dared speak on the color of the sky.
  • Options
    katieg520 said:
    OMg are you effing serious!! I offer an alternative just to throw it out there and y'all jump my ass like it's something I'm doing. I won't even be having a photographer at my house when my wedding party and I get ready, so we won't be having matching anything. I could say the sky is blue around here and y'all would jump my ass and tell me what shade it ACTUALLY is and how RUDE it is that I dared speak on the color of the sky.

• Options
    Sorry... it's because literally EVERYTHING I say is a "bad" idea around here. I don't care because I do what I want anyway, but it gets to be bothersome if every time I post, it's a bad idea.
  • Options
    katieg520 said:
    Sorry... it's because literally EVERYTHING I say is a "bad" idea around here. I don't care because I do what I want anyway, but it gets to be bothersome if every time I post, it's a bad idea.
    I think it's pretty clear that it does bother you. Just try not to take stuff so personally. No one thinks EVERYTHING you say sucks because you would get button downs monogrammed and make BMs wear them the day of. A lot of people just don't like that idea. It's nothing against you as a person. 

• Options
    katieg520 said:
    I think it's pretty clear that it does bother you. Just try not to take stuff so personally. No one thinks EVERYTHING you say sucks because you would get button downs monogrammed and make BMs wear them the day of. A lot of people just don't like that idea. It's nothing against you as a person. 
    This.

It does bother you because if it didn't you wouldn't have these constant freak outs when people disagree with you.  And I am sorry but as a 29 year old adult I do not and will not wear matchy-matchy getting ready outfits with a bunch of other women.  That shit was fun back in middle school but now I want to wear something that is comfortable when I have to sit in a chair to get my makeup and hair done.

• Options
    Then don't. Nobody was telling you to wear it. Obviously there are people that do it because it's quite popular. It's not something I am doing because money is a factor and I would rather buy useful gifts for my BP, but still... some people, and obviously a lot of people, enjoy this trend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards