Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Punta Cana: Excellence versus Secrets Royal Beach

We have already booked our flights to Punta Cana and we have reservations at Excellence but we are considering switching to Secrets (I get a special rate that makes the two resorts less than $200 difference).

My concerns about Excellence really boil down to two things.  1) the long distance from the airport/town makes venturing off the resort more difficult and 2) I see TONS of reviews about the hard beds.

Secrets is closer to the airport and also gets good reviews.

We do plan on doing 2-3 off resort excursions over our 6 night stay, one of the excursions we are looking at would actually charge us an extra $15 per person to provide transportation to/from Excellence.  It isn't the money so much as the remoteness.  I would like to be able to grab a taxi and go shopping or explore the town and that doesn't seem feasible from Excellence.

Does anyone have any experience with both resorts?
photo composite_14153800476219.jpg

Re: Punta Cana: Excellence versus Secrets Royal Beach

• Options

I actually just got back from Secrets a few days ago.  We originally wanted to book Excellence, but they were completely booked up, and our travel agent suggested Secrets.  H and I loved it.  The drive from the airport is pretty short, and rooms were really nice, the food was great, and the pool and beach were fantastic. 

As for excursions, we did ziplining, which we booked through the Apple Vacations rep at the hotel.  I've heard from others who went to Excellence, and they said it was great, but I can tell you that Secrets would be a great option. 

We didn't do it, but I know there's a free shuttle from Secrets to local shopping and a cigar/chocolate shop, where you can actually watch them make the products.

Hope that helps!

• Options
    @ebrady2327 Thanks so much!  That is very helpful...  They both get mostly great reviews on TripAdvisor and I just can't make up my mind.

I'm leaning towards Secrets because of the slightly lower cost and because it is closer to the airport.

Did you do a taxi or a pre-arranged shuttle to Secrets?  How much was it?
  • Options
    We actually had a shuttle arranged for us through Apple Vacations, so I'm afraid I won't be much help with the cost of that.  I did see several taxis lined up at the airport, so I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem getting one, but again, I'm not sure of the cost, or how reliable they all are.
  • Options
    We actually had a shuttle arranged for us through Apple Vacations, so I'm afraid I won't be much help with the cost of that.  I did see several taxis lined up at the airport, so I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem getting one, but again, I'm not sure of the cost, or how reliable they all are.
    About how long was the shuttle ride?  I've heard 20 minutes and 40 minutes which is a pretty big difference (but still better than the hour I hear for Excellence).
  • Options
    We had a direct shuttle, meaning they didn't stop at any resorts before ours, and it was only about 20-25 minutes.  It was a really easy ride to Secrets. It's pretty much just one long road that we stayed on, so it would probably be about the same with a cab.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards