Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Before, after, both?

Should we take most of our photos before the ceremony or after? 
                      or 
Some before and some after? ( bride, groom, family member X, or College pledge class ect.)

Re: Before, after, both?

• This is really up to you, and depends on whether you're doing a first look or not, but I prefer to take most of the photos before the ceremony. Then you can spend more time with your guests at your reception. We just took five minutes worth of pictures after the ceremony, partly so we could get an OMGWE'REMARRIED shot, and partly because the light was gorgeous. It was just the two of us and then we went right back to our party.
  • I think taking some before and some after is the best choice, but it is up to you.  If you are doing a first look, you can get all the bride and groom shots out of the way and have pictures of the wedding party, family, etc. after the ceremony.  If not having a first look, you could have pictures done with your family and your bridal party before the ceremony and he and his family and groomsmen.  After the ceremony, you can have the pictures done with yourself and the groom.
  • I think it is best to take as many as possible before the ceremony. It gives you more time and avoids the dreaded gap. You'll still end up taking some after.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• We are doing a first look and then doing immediate family pictures (parents, siblings, nieces/nephews) before the ceremony.

Then during the cocktail hour we will do some more pictures of just the two of us with our wedding bands on and any extended family pictures.  I am hoping that by doing most of the pictures beforehand we can shorten cocktail hour and go right into the main reception.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I cannot express enough how happy I am that we did a first look! We had about an hour & 15 mins before the ceremony to do our couple shots, bridal party shots, and immediate family pics. Trust me it, it FLEW by. There is no possible way we could have crammed everything into cocktail hour. We even took a few more shots, including extended family during cocktail hour. Aside from that, it was nice doing a first look because we got to see each other with a small group of loved ones around us, and not a huge crowd. And the bonus is that the photographer can set up the shot to perfectly capture the moment from both bride and groom. PLUS we got married in NJ in November, luckily it was before the time change, but still was getting dark right after the ceremony. For fall and winter brides, getting pictures after the ceremony can be an issue. So, yea i'm all for a first look. That way you don't have to rush to get all your shots, and anything you can't finish can be done after the ceremony :)
  • Take as many as you can ahead of time to minimize the gap between the ceremony and reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards