40-Plus Brides
Options

Even though it's the Brides day....

What are something's that would look silly on or for a bride whose 40 plus?
Not meant to step on toes, just spark conversation in a thread.
Example: Maybe a ball gown looks too young in mind only until you see a real 40 plus bride carrying it off.

I wonder if me as an over 40 bride should avoid wearing a veil. I'm a divorcee. My groom knows who will meet him at the alter, so no need to cover my face. I'm not a virgin, so no ceremony to unveil me. Yet there is something so bridal to wearing a veil and a wedding dress on that one special day. I'm undecided.
Would it look silly for me to wear a veil?

Re: Even though it's the Brides day....

• Options
    Not at all, maybe just have it down your back instead of over your face?
  • Options
    There are many variations of bird cage veils that do not cover the face.  There are also a lot of fascinators or fascinators with small veils that look lovely and elegant.

• Options
    Thank you ladies. I like the suggestions. 
  • Options
    Personally I'm not doing a veil.  Similar situation, over 40, divorcee, and looking at outdoor ceremony.  My first wedding, it was slightly breezy (not even windy) and all my pics look like my veil it attacking everyone!   Plus I just don't want to.  I think that's an advantage to 40+ brides.  We know what we like & don't like and aren't afraid to say it. 
  • Options
    I wasn't going to wear one but changed my mind.  I'm just wearing a very simple one down the back.
  • Options

I was 3 months shy of 40 when I got married. I still wore a beautiful satin ballgown and a veil. It was a single layer veil that I just wore on the back of my head, nothing over my face.

• Options
    I am wearing a veil but will have it in the back only. I think the veil gives it more of a bridal look.   I think the blusher is traditionally for the first wedding.  There are a lot of options out there these days.  Look around and see what fits your style.  I know what you mean about "bridal".  My look seemed incomplete without the veil.
  • Options
    I was 49 when I married (first time). I wasnt planning to have one for over my face but the one I liked was two tiered so I did it anyway. Our theme was antique wedding in he park so it fit to do the veil over the face.
  • Options
    I will be 43 when I marry for the first time. My FH wanted me to wear a long veil with a blusher. So I have a blusher and 5 yards of tulle! The "rules" say your veil should match the length of your dress but it's my wedding. Do what you want and makes you feel good. There are some really cute bird cage veils too with sparkly or feather fascinators.
  • Options
    vh2014vh2014 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    I'm doing a veil because it will be too hot for the cape I wanted. LOL.  We attend a lot of formal events so I want something that doesn't look like all of the formals I own.  When I went to try them on I discovered the ball gown was it.  I thought I was too old but I LOVE them.  They make me feel bridal and not like another formal dinner.  

Edited to add: Not that I don't LOVE some of the non-ballgowns, I've just worn all those already.  I really wanted to look like Pippa's bridesmaid dress originally. :):)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I struggled with some of these issues when we first decided to get married.  We are both 43... I worried a little bit about trying too hard and doing things that I already did the first time around and worried about looking silly... my first wedding (at age 29) I dieted myself down to misery on severe Atkins... I wore a huge buttercup yellow ballgown with a giant, super long veil... I had all the stress and pressures of a giant armenian circus of a wedding. 
    I decided that this time around what matters is what makes me happy and comfortable.  I'm wearing a silver sparkly mermaid gown with a huge poofy flair - yeah, I may be a size 16 and I may be wrinklier and fatter than I was but it's about what makes you feel happy.  I'm even going to reuse my veil from my first marriage - I'm just tossing out all the rules and going crazy. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards