Pennsylvania

Stroudsmoor

Any been there or heard reviews about it?
   How are they to work with?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Stroudsmoor

• edited December 2011
    I was in a wedding there back in 2006 (not sure how much if at all it has changed since then)... It was a gorgeous venue, good food, fabulous suites- very spacious! Everything was great... more upscale, and from what I was told, the price matched that. 

The only other thing that stood out... can be good or bad depending on YOU... during the dinner (in between courses) some people went out on the dance floor since the dj was playing some light fun music... we were told that we had to go back to our seats and wait until after the dinner hour to dance at all. 

Otherwise, great time!
    Amy & Eric 10-16-10
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding there -- it was nice, but the bride complained constantly about not being about to be creative or do things "differently".  If you want a nice wedding day but don't care about being creative or having too much control over small details, then go for it - it was quite pretty.  But if you want details that are YOU, it may not be the right spot.
  • Play getawayPlay getaway member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys! 

Has anyone also heard anything about Lackawanna Station in Scranton?  It's also known as the Radisson Hotel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is so hard!
       All we want is a place that doesn't place boundaries on us (demanding such as creativity and/or music level/time) and a place to have fun while still on budget ($100/pp or less).

I guess maybe it's too hard to get everything but ever place we really like, there's always a big thing to it that stops us.

The date is quickly approaching already and i'm starting to get nervous.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We went to Ehrhardt's Waterfront Resort -- No boundaries for creativity!!  We did our own everything and they will change your packages to help.  We got ours for less than $80 a head and got to change our menu, bar, do our own decor, put up our own displays, make our own centerpieces -- everything -- and they did all the set up for FREE!  I just drew pictures/took photos of how I wanted things to be put together.  It was GREAT.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds great Xlizelllx!

I just looked at their site but it doesnt show much of the inside for weddings.
      Do you have any pictures from your day that youd be willing to share?

how did you like their food?

Our only things we want are 1. great food, 2.  Big party! (like i mentioned before, not someone telling us to turn the music down or we can't dance at a certain time).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    http://www.steveklaverphotos.printroom.com/GHome_main.asp?evgroupid=0&domain_name=steveklaverphotos&group_id=40  

Those are our pics.  We wanted the outside ceremony on the grass overlooking the lake -- and we got some pre-ceremony shots there, but it then started to rain so the ceremony was inside.  It was awesome.

The food was really really good -- we actually had a vegetarian reception but had 10 salads, 5 pastas, and 5 entrees ... 

My favorite part if you want to PARTY is that there is a regular bar upstairs that we held the afterparty at so that people didn't have to travel to get there.  We had a shuttle running back to the hotel and it started taking people back at like 9 and kept going until 1am.  It was a great time.
  • edited December 2011
    I was in a wedding that was at the Stroudsmoor and that bride went to another wedding there a year after hers. The same thing happened at both of their weddings: They stopped serving alcohol 1/2 hour before the close of the reception! My friend made a last minute decision to pay for another hour of reception at her wedding. Well 30 minutes later she went to get a glass of wine and they refused to serve her!!!! They never told her about this rule and they refused to refund her card. It turned into a huge fight at the end of the night. And at her friends wedding a year later, the venue just plain cut them off saying that the event exceeded the amount of alcohol they could consume. I WAS going to get married there, but they wouldn't let me pic my own baker for my cake and their bakery is delicious but they dont make the crazy cakes that you see on TV. They can also have up to 5 weddings going on at one time. Yes, its pretty but the staff is horrible. My friends event coordinator looked like a meth addict and had runs all over her stalkings.
    I am getting married at the Radisson next month. They don't care what I do. I am even lighting a bunch of candles, decorating the walls and ceilings, bringing my own uplights, having 3 cakes, photobooth, they are even setting up a little area inside the reception with just cocktail tables so I can have a hang out area etc. I'm also having my reception there and they are flipping the room for me during my cocktail hour. The food is delicious, however the packages start at 99 a person plus tax and gratuity (but you can mix and match) so I don't know if it will fit your budget from what you posted above. But it is great to get married at a hotel because people can drink and crash there. The stroudsmoor rooms are very expensive compare to the 129 a night my guests are paying.
  • edited December 2011
    Both Earharts (if I spelled it right) and the Radisson are nice places! Just depends on the type of venue you are looking for. We are using Fiorelli's in Peckville (only down fall is no outside) and they also let us do whatever we want and their food is SPECTACULAR, which was one of our main draws!!!! 

If you are looking for outdoor though, Earharts would be the best of the 3. The Radissson does have a cool entrance area where they usually do the cocktail hour!!! Fiorelli's is all inside but they can do separate rooms for cocktail and full reception if you like. 
    Amy & Eric 10-16-10
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks guys.

Whiskers: I would love to keep in touch with you about your experience with the Radisson after the big day.
      We both love the Radisson from what we saw (we just stopped by there again this afternoon for a 2nd visit) but I was just asking because i looked at reviews of them and it didnt look too great (although none were for a wedding, all mostly hotel stays) so it made us nervous and start to second guess.

How are you having your ceremony set up there? Thats something we were talking about since it's just one big room, but i kow they said they can put up a wall to divide it. Are you doing that and just setting up chairs with an aisle?
     And what about the decor for the ceremony?
        Do they charge you extra fees for that set up and take down?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • blnovakblnovak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok... this has kind of turned into a board for local venues.

These messages are making me nervous!! We're booked there for next summer. We kind of jumped right in and I've already had second thoughts... this is certainly not helping that.

Any other positives for the Stroudsmoor?
  • dianne&philipdianne&philip member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have my wedding booked at the Stroudsmoor and I have been more then happy with everything. I am getting married on 1/2/2011 in their smallest venue since I will be having about 40 guests.  I love the fact that most everything can be done on site and they throw in some extras.  As far as the cake, the fact that I don't have to pay for an outside place to provide one is fine with me.  I am not a big fan on these over the top cakes that taste lousy.  Fondant is not tasty at all.  As far as closing the bar a half hour for alcohol ,as stated above, and only serving soda before the end of the reception, that is no biggee and it is pretty standard at most weddings. If people have not had enough alcohol during the reception they clearly have a drinking problem.  Most people wind down with coffee and desert at that point. It is clearly stated in the contract and they went over it with me about this policy.  The couple having the wedding may have been the cause of people getting cut off because there is an option to have a running tab and when you get to a certain amount the couple has the option to stop serving to keep their costs down.

The Stroudsmoor has been doing weddings for a long time and that is what they do.  I am very confident that they will meet and exceed my needs.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards