Military Brides

Brides Across America

Hey girls, My FI is in the National Guard and we recently got engaged (June 10th <3 ) I was wondering if any of you had ever gotten one of the free wedding dresses from Brides Across America. How was it? Did you like the experience? I am going to one next month in Mass. Also who did you girls bring with you to try on wedding dresses?
I cant bring one of my bridesmaids (my sister) because she has her son that day, another is in GA with her navy husband, another will be 8 1/2 months preggo, and the last is his sister and I invited her but she isn't sure if she can come. I was thinking about maybe bringing my mom, his mom and Grammy but I kind of want a girl my own age but I feel weird asking a girl  to come who isnt a bridesmaid.. Any help is great, thanks!!

Re: Brides Across America

• First: Congratulations on your engagement!
    Second, I have never heard of Brides Across America. If that doesn't work out for you there are plenty of non-expensive dress options out there.
    And you do not need to bring so many people to dress fittings! The only girls I brought were: My cousin (MOH), my friend (BM) and my mom. And I didn't even end up keeping the dress I bought then! I returned it and later when back witih my cousin and mom and picked out another.

Do you have any other info or wedding details to share?
    If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
    Hope you stick around.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_brides-across-america-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:76b8450b-ac38-4c41-8cfb-7490158cf82aPost:ef0c705d-ed12-4f3b-a9be-65995149a756">Re: Brides Across America</a>:
    [QUOTE]First: Congratulations on your engagement! Second, I have never heard of Brides Across America. If that doesn't work out for you there are plenty of non-expensive dress options out there. And you do not need to bring so many people to dress fittings! The only girls I brought were: My cousin (MOH), my friend (BM) and my mom. And I didn't even end up keeping the dress I bought then! I returned it and later when back witih my cousin and mom and picked out another. Do you have any other info or wedding details to share? If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Hope you stick around.
    Posted by tyleet87[/QUOTE]

Well if...

<font size="4"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font style="font-size:14px;"> You must be engaged, or had a civil ceremony and
    planning a wedding within the next 18 months.

You or your fiance were deployed within the past 5 years to Iraq, Afghanistan, Qatar, Bahrain, Libya,
     Kuwiat and Japan and have not had a formal wedding. 

<strong>or

</strong>You <strong>or</strong> your Fiance will be deploying to Afghanistan, Iraq, Qatar, Libya, Bahrain, Kuwiat and Japan.

All military brides must bring drivers license or their military ID for verification. </font></font></font><font size="4"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font style="font-size:14px;"><strong>Qualifying proof must accompany the bride on day of event:</strong> 
    Copy of deployment papers for you or your Fiance that states the time of deployment and location.</font></font></font>
    <font size="4"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font style="font-size:14px;">

Since we did not JOP and my H had not been deployed nor orders to deploy I was unable to qualify for it.

Its my understanding that if you do qualify then you have to go to a praticipating bridal salon. There are some hoops to jump through but if that doesn't discourage you then I would go for it.
    </font></font></font>
    I want the COOOOOKIE!
    Credit to Awkward Family Pet Photos
    http://tiny.cc/kpfcdw
  • Im pretty sure I do qualify, at least when I called the bridal shop, they said I do. I am engaged :). His last deployment was to Iraq 2009- 2010 so we will have his 214. (so thats within the last 5 years) He has an upcoming deployment but he hasn't gotten that paperwork yet. Our wedding is July 2013. We found a bridal salon in Mass who is doing the event in July. I am really hoping I get one because affording one will be tough, If I do get it, Ill share it with you girls :)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_brides-across-america-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:76b8450b-ac38-4c41-8cfb-7490158cf82aPost:67541a28-2b43-4e45-898f-ebdc0f6ab104">Re: Brides Across America</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brides Across America : Well if...  You must be engaged, or had a civil ceremony and planning a wedding within the next 18 months.         You or your fiance were deployed within the past 5 years to Iraq, Afghanistan, Qatar, Bahrain, Libya,  Kuwiat and Japan and have not had a formal wedding.  or You or your Fiance will be deploying to Afghanistan, Iraq, Qatar, Libya, Bahrain, Kuwiat and Japan.                    All military brides must bring drivers license or their military ID for verification. Qualifying proof must accompany the bride on day of event:   Copy of deployment papers for you or your Fiance that states the time of deployment and location. Since we did not JOP and my H had not been deployed nor orders to deploy I was unable to qualify for it. Its my understanding that if you do qualify then you have to go to a praticipating bridal salon. There are some hoops to jump through but if that doesn't discourage you then I would go for it.
    Posted by crimewatcher[/QUOTE]
  • A semi regular poster on Miliary Nesties got her dress through BAA.  She loved her expirience and then donated her dress back to them so someone else could enjoy it.  Have a blast.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You'll have to post pics whenever you get your dress!
    I want the COOOOOKIE!
    Credit to Awkward Family Pet Photos
    http://tiny.cc/kpfcdw
  • I got my dress from Brides Across America. It was a wonderful experience, and my dress was PERFECT for me. It did require alterations (I'm very petite and they didn't have anything near my size- my dress was altered from a sz 8 to a sz 00) but most dresses do, and I had the budget to do what I wanted with my dress because it was free. 

You can see some of my dress in my sig, but here is one of my bridal portraits...

GL!!
    wedding1 Anniversary
  • Your dress is beautiful!! Thats exactly what Im looking for. Im not sure what dress size I am. I am a size 1 pants. Im 5'3'' and 106 lbs so Im hoping I can find something in my size. Im so looking forward to finding something I look pretty in :) I hope I can! ha ha
    Becky
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_brides-across-america-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:76b8450b-ac38-4c41-8cfb-7490158cf82aPost:7f738bf4-e573-421c-bfe9-0f6aa9a44fca">Re: Brides Across America</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your dress is beautiful!! Thats exactly what Im looking for. Im not sure what dress size I am. I am a size 1 pants. Im 5'3'' and 106 lbs so Im hoping I can find something in my size. Im so looking forward to finding something I look pretty in :) I hope I can! ha ha Becky
    Posted by BeckyMoore689[/QUOTE]
    You won't find something in your size. Fire just spoke to her experience about getting it altered down. I wouldn't let that sway you against a particular dress. Everyone gets alterations. 
  • I know I'm a little late on the reply (no internet for what felt like eternity) but Irish is right. You are really not likely to find anything in your size. The smallest gown they had at the event I went to was a sz 4 (and I was one of the first ones there.... and none of the other girls there were really petite, so it's not like all the small sizes had already been taken)...

I'm 5'5'' and weigh 114. I tried on SO MANY dresses, and even when I was shopping traditionally (to buy) there was basically nothing that came close to my size. I think DB had 3 dresses?? that they could order down to a sz 0. Most stop at sz 4. Clearly there is some variation in sizing across companies, but tbh I doubt you will find anything your size, so just be prepared for the alterations bill. I looked at several dresses that were going to cost just as much to alter as they would to purchase. Do remember though that everyone has alterations (Who wants to wear something less than tailor made on their wedding day?!). 

One big piece of advice that I would give you: make sure that you either take someone who has done some alterations in the past or make sure that there is someone at the shop there who does alterations for that store... if you are going to need major alterations, there are a few things that will really eliminate some dresses from being feasibly affordable to alter. I was between several dresses and had the seamstress come look and she completely eliminated one because of what she told me would be complicated to alter on one of the dresses. 

GL!
    wedding1 Anniversary
  • Yeah i figured it would have to get resized, Im just hoping I can find something that looks good, thanks everyone for all of the help!!!
    Becky
  • I'm going to one of these next Monday (FI is currently deployed to A-stan).  How early did you guys get there?  The salon I'm going to says they are opening the doors at 10, but I know we want to be there before that.  Just not sure how early is needed in order to still have a good selection.  9:00?  8:00?  Thanks!

• What do you girls think??? Be honest PLEASE!!! Not at all what I thought I would want but out of the 20-30 they had this was the best one
  • edited July 2012
    i thinks you look beautiful in your dress and the dress is really pretty! i really like the dress and it suits you well, love it :D

thanks for this post about baa, i am going to look into it :)
  • I think the gown is beautiful, but of course the only opinion that really matters is yours.  I think it looks beautiful on you, but you have to love it.

I had my heart set on a gown, and I even put a deposit down on it (it was discontinued, so I was buying the sample), and then I found one very similar at the BAA event on Monday.  So I think I'm going to just wear the one I got from BAA, but it's certainly hard to give up the other.  Especially because they're both ivory, and I really, really wanted white.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards