Favors
Options

Tree Seedling as Favor?

I love the idea of giving little saplings for guests to plant in our honor. I have researched it a little and I'm finding that many of the places package the seedling in a labeled plastic tube which seems impersonal, and most of the available trees are evergreens, which doesn't really mesh with our summer wedding. I am picturing a little green leafy tree in a little pot that I can tie with a pink ribbon. Any advice on where to get something like this without dropping more than $2 a tree?

Re: Tree Seedling as Favor?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This is a great idea! I love it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You probably don't want to hear this but I would rethink your choice of favor. Sometimes gifts like these tend to get left behind. Not everybody has the motivation or desire to take the time to plant a tree. The would hate to have to keep up with a little tree while I'm slightly drunk trying to leave your reception, KWIM?

If you really want to give out favors I would recommend something edible.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with SD3194 but not just beause I would leave it on the table (which I would and have done before) but if you lived in an apartment or a rental you wouldn't be able to plant the tree (in the case of the rental you would have to leave the tree behind if you moved). Also people who do garden tend to really plan out their gardens (I know my FI does) and the particular sapling may not fit in.
  • Options
    akakoli81akakoli81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you can do the plantable paper..you can get it in different shapes. here is a link to some wedding ones.  If they get left behind at least its not a growing tree and you can save them for future plantings for yourself or whatever

http://www.botanicalpaperworks.com/catalog/wedding-collection/plantable-seed-wedding-favors

I want to do this but I am having a fall wedding not exactly planting time :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am doing a nature themed wedding but am a big foodie as are a lot of our guests, so I am doing herbs in small pots for my favors...you could do rosemary which you could shape to look like a pine tree, and considering that you can start them from seed it's fairly cheap.
    I am doing basil, cilantro, thyme, rosemary and oregano...I am tying tags to them with twine that tell what they are and what they are used for in seasoning dishes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would leave it behind because I wouldn't know where to plant it.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_tree-seedling-favor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:1c3a4725-da5a-40b9-84cb-ac8713a278aaPost:cd09f9f1-7644-420c-9787-ab9647c48083">Re: Tree Seedling as Favor?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You probably don't want to hear this but I would rethink your choice of favor. Sometimes gifts like these tend to get left behind. Not everybody has the motivation or desire to take the time to plant a tree. The would hate to have to keep up with a little tree while I'm slightly drunk trying to leave your reception, KWIM? If you really want to give out favors I would recommend something edible.
    Posted by SD3194[/QUOTE]

This..

While your heart is in a nice place, please don't give me a favor that I have to baby along and try to get to grow.

At my niece-to-be's shower last month the favor was shasta daisy seeds in plantable paper.  Most of them were thrown away after the shower because no one (in our family anyway) wanted to deal with them.

Edible is always an excellent choice.
  • Options
    mjgnjrsmjgnjrs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I posted this about a month ago, I loved the idea but after hearing the responses decided not to go that direction.  If you do decide to do this check out Arbor Days website www.arborday.org/shopping/gifttrees/weddings.cfm

• Options
    MadisonpennyMadisonpenny member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea and was originally going to do this as well.. until I brought it up with my FI's family. His dad said that I shouldnt do it because he thinks it would be a waste of money, most people would throw the seedlings in the garbage or leave them behind, which brings me to my next point.  Many cities have restrictions on how many trees and even what type of tree you can plant in your yard. like mine for example ( in my neighborhood, 1 large tree like maples, pine, no willows, etc).
    I also agree with some PP's that some people just don't have the motivation to actually plant the trees, water them and make sure they mature.
    . Anniversary aandt image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards