Utah
Options

Mill Creek Inn or Log Haven?

Hi everyone, I’m brand new to the board. Getting married either in late May or early June 2010 and just beginning the planning process. We would love to have our reception in Mill Creek Canyon but have a really hard time deciding between the two venues: Mill Creek vs Log Haven. Can anyone offer any words of wisdom or experience?

Re: Mill Creek Inn or Log Haven?

• Options
    MrsOpieMrsOpie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, they both have their strong points and weak points.  Log Haven has more places for pictures because they offer a pond and waterfall across the street.  The food at both places is awesome.  The brides room at Millcreek Inn is a good size and the brides room at Log Haven is very small.  I think there is more room at Log Haven in the back.  Have you been to both locations?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having the same issue.   I love both locations, and cannot decide.  From my perspective there are pros and cons to each.   Pro's about Millcreek, you have the place to yourself, better bridal room then log-haven's though still outdated in my opinion, very cute walk to the aisle. Tents and heaters are available in case of bad weather (although expesive to rent).  Con's- extra charge for everything, bar set up fee of $250.Log-Haven Pro's- They tell me the canopy will keep everyone dry in case of rain, and the canopy if free.  I'm just not sure I believe them.  No bar set up fee.  Great picture opportunites at the waterfall and pond.  Con's-very small bridal room.  Strangers will be dining in the restaurant. My major hangup is the bad weather back up plan.   I need to go back to Log-Haven and ask them specifically what they do.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks a lot for your input!  We ended up going with LogHaven.We visited both places and were leaning toward MillCreek Inn mostly because the venue would be all ours.   Then we ran into Allison--their wedding coordinator...  She seemed incredibly bored, was unhelpful, and downright unfriendly, didn't remember anything about us or the wedding (even our names), and didn't respond to e-mails.  She was 20 min late for a scheduled appointment, didn't apologize or explain, told us to watch the video (which we've already seen) and then dissappeared for another 10 minutes.  I saw on an earlier post that she seemed to have done the exact same thing to another couple.  Then there were also a couple negative comments regarding costumer service and her in particular on City Search reviews.  It's a beautiful venue, but if they are this hard to reach and this unhelpful before signing a contract we were worried as to what would happen after.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The bad weather plan (as they told me) was the free canopy and heaters.  I'll be curious to find out which one you end up picking.  And what your experience with Allison at MillCreek was!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Interesting...I have not met Allison in person, but talked to her on the phone and have exchanged emails which she returns in a timely manner.  The thing that still bugs me about Millcreek is the additional fees for everything, but the last time I talked to Allison she dropped the facitily charge by $350 which helps some. She did say she is the only one there on Saturdays, and at two weddings a day, my guess is she is probably overworked.   I did see those reviews on city search too, but also read many great ones.  In the end we chose Millcreek if we go with a Canyon wedding or Heritage Gardens if we go with a Suburb wedding.   Still deciding between those two.     Just one word of warning about the canopy at Log Haven, I had been emailing a really helpful DJ about different locations they DJ'd at, and she did say they were doing a wedding at Log Haven last August in a heavy rain, and the Canopy collasped and got their equipment wet.  Log Haven is gorgeous though, I absolutely love the pond and waterfall and will miss not getting my pictures taken there.   Keep me posted on how things are going.   When is your date?
  • Options
    ssampossampo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We chose Millcreek for our August 2010 wedding, although we looked at both. We actually just signed our contract last week. I agree that there are pro's and con's to both. I personally think Millcreek is prettier for a small wedding and getting run-of-the-venue was pretty important for us.  If you plan on serving alcohol, I can tell you that Millcreek is much, much more expensive - shockingly so. We live in Los Angeles (fiance is from Utah) and I was shocked at their prices. Otherwise, the food and rental are pretty reasonable.I have heard mixed reviews about working with Millcreek, but I'm a pretty low-maintenance bride so I hope I don't encounter any conflict.I met with Alison in person and she warmed up to me so I think it helps to meet with them in person.If any of you are using Millcreek, I would love to compare notes on pricing, etc. I think it might help in negotiating down the road. Strength in numbers!!Good luck and both venues are just so pretty.
  • Options
    tmcertotmcerto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! Just a little fyi. I wanted to inform whoever was planning a wedding at Millcreek that a friend of mine had a wedding there and learned after the fact that they make more food than necessary and give it to the staff to take home after the reception. Her family also did a wedding there and knew this so ordered less than the desired amount and had plenty of food for all the guests.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am confused, wouldn't you order based off the number of guests the are coming? I am doing a plated or buffet dinner. Are you referring to the open house type reception?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi ssampo I am going to Millcreek this weekend to sign the contract so I would really appreciate any help you could offer. You are right, I did compare alcohol prices on both places and don't really like Millcreek's bartender fee or their beer/ wine prices too much. Were you able to negotiate the bartender fee at all? What can you still negotiate after the contract is signed? Did you ask them about their summer incentives they advertised on their website. I'm not sure if they meant this past summer or next summer.
  • Options
    tmcertotmcerto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi. I did not mean to confuse you. Yes, you would order based on the number of guests the are coming. I just wanted to pass on that information about Millcreek over cooking food for their staff and that a previous bride ordered less food (buffet style) than the number of guests there and still had enough food for her guests.
  • Options
    MrsOpieMrsOpie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't worry too much about over cooking food for the staff.  The extra food is not being charged to the client but it's much easier to feed everyone on site the same meal.  There are a number of vendors that need to eat that are not part of the guest head count: staff, chef, bartender, DJ, Photographer, Videographer, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Looks like a couple of people decided to go with MillCreek! If anyone decided/will decide on Log Haven I'd love to compare notes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi ania7, I'm late getting back to you and see you chose Millcreek Inn. I looked into both venues and hands down I would go with Log Haven. I think both locations are very nice - but Log Haven has so many more locations for photography. I also liked that I didn't feel like I was getting "nickeled and dimed" for things like valet service, bartender fees, cake cutting fees and linens. Its true that the restaurant will be open when I have my wedding. But Joni showed me the set-up and I can tell that my guests will be separate from the other people who come in. I was more worried about all of the traffic and noise from the road with Millcreek Inn than I was with Log Haven. I have dined at Log Haven, I haven't at Millcreek Inn. The food is amazing! That was a VERY important part of my decision - I don't want "wedding food" because I am one of those foodie types and it is important to me to have great food and wine for my guests. Keep me posted on your planning. And good luck!
  • Options
    bls0516bls0516 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have the same mixed reviews as well.... my parents were married at Log Haven and  I have never seen a wedding at Millcreek. My biggest worry is the space. Log Haven seams to have people in two different areas (lower patio and upper patio), as Milcreek looks like everyone is more together... (I'm hoping for a 200 guest count, but my parents think with family and all their friends probably 250+ and I want to make sure it's not crowded). I am hoping to get the date and contract together this week. If anyone has notes on both please share. Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards