June 2012 Weddings
Options

Lavender toss (grand exit)

I believe I have decided to use some poppy red tulle to wrap up loose lavender and secure it with a purple ribbon. I believe doing this will make it easy for guests to grab one or two bags from a basket and toss towards us.

Will anyone else be using lavender for their grand exit?

Re: Lavender toss (grand exit)

• Options
    Did you do a couple of test runs and see how well they tossed?

We're not doing anything like this. Our venue has strict rules about rice, bubbles and tossing items.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I can't toss anything at my venue either (we're making ribbon wands for people to wave), but I've been to weddings that have had lavender tosses and they all worked well.  One wedding had lavender in tulle wrapped with ribbon like yours, and as long as you only tie the ribbon in a bow and not a knot, it wll be easy for your guests to toss.  The other weddings had the lavender in a small mesh drawstring bag which worked even better.
  • Options
    My venue doesn't allow sparklers, bird seed, or rice.  It does however allow bubbles and flower petals. I believe lavender would be considered a flower, I know its technically an herb. I may call the sales lady of my venue to make sure its acceptable.
    My florist ordered the loose lavender so I cannot do any test runs. I probably won't be able to wrap the lavender in tulle until the night before the wedding.
  • Options
    I saw a similar post on another board (not sure if it's yours; too lazy to go check) but I agree with the ladies on there about skipping it. 

Lots of people have allergies to it and potentially ruin your day by people leaving to go to the hospital.  Sorry.
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    Yeah like Luckypenny said, a LOT of people are allergic to lavender. It also stains, is hard to get out if your hair. For awhile I thought about doing a lavender toss but I decided against it for those two reasons. There are a lot of allergies in my family.
  • Options
    Well, the order is already placed so unless my venue won't allow it, I will be doing the lavender toss. As far as I know, no one attending my wedding has an allergy to lavender. If it does leave a mark on my dress, hopefully it won't be that noticeable. I will wear my wedding dress for the ceremony and all the ceremonial acts such as cake cutting, first dance, etc. After all the ceremonial stuff is done I will be changing into a shorter more comfortable  dress. With that being said a few purple smudges shouldn't be a big deal.
  • Options
    Yeah, you already bought the lavender, but is it really worth it to not avoid people sneezing, coughing, getting their lovely clothes smudged with it, or can't get it out of their hair?  Aside from some people having allergies, some people just hate the smell.

Can't you make little sachets for people to take home if they want or something?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_lavender-toss-grand-exit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:a404e758-e36c-4371-bb8a-25420c2c8789Post:6bd0f28f-bc5b-4e1f-97ee-91311916afba">Re: Lavender toss (grand exit)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, the order is already placed so unless my venue won't allow it, I will be doing the lavender toss. As far as I know, no one attending my wedding has an allergy to lavender. If it does leave a mark on my dress, hopefully it won't be that noticeable. I will wear my wedding dress for the ceremony and all the ceremonial acts such as cake cutting, first dance, etc. After all the ceremonial stuff is done I will be changing into a shorter more comfortable  dress. With that being said a few purple smudges shouldn't be a big deal.
    Posted by rikkidawn28[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes you placed the order. I have allergies some of my friends don't know about. Am I supposed to go up to everyone and say "Hi I'm Melissa, I'm allergic to the following:" </div><div>
    </div><div>Have fun on your pretty princess day</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_lavender-toss-grand-exit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:a404e758-e36c-4371-bb8a-25420c2c8789Post:6bd0f28f-bc5b-4e1f-97ee-91311916afba">Re: Lavender toss (grand exit)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, the order is already placed so unless my venue won't allow it, I will be doing the lavender toss. As far as I know, no one attending my wedding has an allergy to lavender. If it does leave a mark on my dress, hopefully it won't be that noticeable. I will wear my wedding dress for the ceremony and all the ceremonial acts such as cake cutting, first dance, etc. After all the ceremonial stuff is done I will be changing into a shorter more comfortable  dress. With that being said a few purple smudges shouldn't be a big deal.

<div> Yea, you placed the order, but do you know all your guest personally and know about their allergies? I'm not doing any type of toss because my venue is against it, but even if they were for it, I would still be hesitant because of allergies. I know first hand what it is like to go to a wedding where the bride doesn't take allergies into consideration. And this bride knew my allergies. Having an allergic reaction to something at a wedding is not fun. If you want to do the Lavender toss, I would double check with your guests. </div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Do you personally know the food allergy of every guest? The flower allergy of every guest? Can every guest have peanuts? Shellfish? Strawberries? Vegetarians? Vegans? Gluetan allergies? Tree nuts?

Unless you 100% know the allergies and of 100% of your guests and are willing to make accommodations you are seriously just having "IT IS MY DAY AND I WILL HAVE IT THE WAY I WANT IT!" You are coming across as very princessy 
  • Options
    DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    [QUOTE]Well, the order is already placed so unless my venue won't allow it, I will be doing the lavender toss. As far as I know, <strong>no one attending my wedding has an allergy to lavender</strong>. If it does leave a mark on my dress, hopefully it won't be that noticeable. I will wear my wedding dress for the ceremony and all the ceremonial acts such as cake cutting, first dance, etc. After all the ceremonial stuff is done I will be changing into a shorter more comfortable  dress. With that being said a few purple smudges shouldn't be a big deal.

Really?  Both of my parents and my sister are allergic to lavender, it gives them migraines.  They'd have to leave immediately following a lavender toss - but they don't go around telling people about this allergy.  I'm not saying you have to worry about every possible allergy anyone might ever have, but you're coming across as a little snippy about this. 

A small warning to your guests would be kind, so they may make an informed choice to participate or avoid the lavender if necessary.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Options
    Really guys?  If someone allergic to the lavender, they just don't need to take any.  People can be allergic to anything nowadays.  Should she have fake flowers and no food since SOMEONE there might be allergic to them?  No.  People know when their allergy might interfere with something in a wedding.  My aunt is allergic to soy, so on their response card, they made a note that she will need a soy-free meal (harder than it sounds).  If someone is so deathly allergic to lavendar (or any flower) that they'll break out in hives just being within 20 feet of it, they shouldn't be going to a wedding period.  If OP knew of a huge lavendar allergy for sure of one of her guests and still did this, yeah maybe I'd side eye it, but sheesh. You can't make a bunch of "what-if" accomodations.  It's just not possible with a wedding.
  • Options
    Throwing herbs or flowers in the air on people is not the same as requesting a vegetarian plate or not sitting next to the bouquets. But to each their own.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_lavender-toss-grand-exit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:a404e758-e36c-4371-bb8a-25420c2c8789Post:f9bc70cb-5bdc-4a6f-9cc6-c5054060700a">Re:Lavender toss grand exit</a>:
    [QUOTE]Throwing herbs or flowers in the air on people is not the same as requesting a vegetarian plate or not sitting next to the bouquets. But to each their own.
    Posted by littleluckypenny[/QUOTE]

How is it any different?  If I went to OP's wedding and I was allergic to lavender, I would choose not to be a part of it and watch from a safe distance and admire the beauty.  OP isn't forcing anyone to come in contact with it unknowingly.  I just don't get why she needs to forego her idea on the off chance that someone might be so allergic to lavender that they'll have issues being anywhere near it. 
  • Options
    Chelsea, you do make a good point. 

OP- are you planning on informing your guests of the lavender?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Yes thanks Chelsea for your comment. I am not trying to be a princess of any kind. I do not believe my florist will give me a refund on the lavender I purchased for the toss. I work hard for my money. I sincerely do not believe it will be a problem with any of my guests. I will be wrapping the lavender in small bags of tulle. I am also giving guests the choice of blowing bubbles for the grand exit. If someone knows they have an allergy to lavender they can simply opt for the bubbles and stay away from the lavender. I did post something on my facebook asking people if they have an allergy to lavender. One friend who I am unsure if she will be able to make the wedding, said she is allegeric to the "fake" scent of lavender but not essential oils of lavender or the natural form of lavender. I am getting married outside at a plantation where their is lots of open air. I think it will work out just fine. I am actually a very compassionate person. I want all my guests to have a great time and I have been working hard to make my special day fun for everyone involved.
  • Options
    Ask on facebook? I'm not sure about you, but I don't know if all 130 of my guests have facebook or not.. I'm assuming 100% of yours don't either.

I'm against the lavender. Even being around something that potent (take hay for example) can be very annoying to some. 
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I don't know why some of you have chosen to take this so personally. Honestly, I had not even thought about the possibly that anyone who has rsvp-ed yes to my wedding could have an reaction to lavender until I began to read the comments on this posting. I still have about 3 and a half weeks until the wedding. I will make an effort to see if it would be a bother for guests. Many of them are already aware that lavender will be at the wedding and no one has mentioned an allergy yet.

• Options
    I agree with Chelsea.... you cant possibly know everyones allergies. I say go ahead with the lavendar toss, just make sure it is marked so there are no issues. I think it will be beautiful!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the support! I think I will add a note to each tulle filled bag.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards