Registry and Gift Forum

how would i go about registering for gift certificates ?

Id like to register for gift certificates at the Flamingo in Las Vegas, where our wedding will be? We would like to use them for room service, dinners, etc

Re: how would i go about registering for gift certificates ?

• Gift certificates are the same as cash.  People will get you cash, so there's no need to register.  Read all the threads about honeymoon registries below, because what you're asking is quite similar.
  • MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Asking for gift certificates is the same as asking for cash gifts which is frowned upon.  People already know that cash is a great gift so you don't have to ask them for it.  You can do a small registry and people will get the hint that cash is appreciated.
  • You don't.  You may as well stamp "Give us $$$" across your invitations.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-would-i-go-about-registering-for-gift-certificates?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:45c7d7b7-7188-4969-80dc-e5cab4e2fae5Post:1c07dc70-97f2-4b15-b787-6801d099c527">Re: how would i go about registering for gift certificates ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You don't.  You may as well stamp "Give us $$$" across your invitations.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

<div>This one would be even better..."Give us $$$ that we can only spend in one place."</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-would-i-go-about-registering-for-gift-certificates?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:45c7d7b7-7188-4969-80dc-e5cab4e2fae5Post:938d3ef4-aac4-4882-a1a7-7b9f2bf5dcad">Re: how would i go about registering for gift certificates ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Gift certificates are the same as cash.  People will get you cash, so there's no need to register.  Read all the threads about honeymoon registries below, because what you're asking is quite similar.
    Posted by mcskatcat[/QUOTE]

<div>Ughh, this is slight threadjacking but you've hit the nail on the head with my biggest pet peeve. FI and I live in Canada, though we're getting married in America, where I'm from. We registered in Canada since a lot of friends and family are coming from here, and there really aren't may places that are good options to register - only Sears and The Bay. We didn't want anything at Sears, so we went with The Bay only to find out they automatically put gift cards at the top of the registry - I can't take it off. I feel so tacky and wanted to delete my registry but there is no place else to register. Ughhhh!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cirkusgirlcirkusgirl member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I think the honeymoon registry is the way to go with this one.  It is never a good idea to directly ask for money.  On myregistry.com you can set up and account and call it a honeymoon registry but in truth you will be getting cash because the funds go into you paypal account.  After the funds are available you can transfer them to your bank account.  My FI and I did this because we are still deciding where we want to go for the European honeymoon we have been dreaming of.  Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • In Response to Re:how would i go about registering for gift certificates ?:[QUOTE]I think the honeymoon registry is the way to go with this one.nbsp; It is never a good idea to directly ask for money.nbsp; On myregistry.com you can set ukop and account and call it a honeymoon registry but in truth you will be getting cash because the funds go into you paypal account.nbsp; After the funds are available you can transfer the
    m to your bank account.nbsp; My FI and I did this because we are still deciding where we want to go for the European honeymoon we have been dreaming of.nbsp; Good Luck! Posted by cirkusgirl[/QUOTE]
    A honeymoon registry IS asking directly for cash.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-would-i-go-about-registering-for-gift-certificates?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:45c7d7b7-7188-4969-80dc-e5cab4e2fae5Post:b2461ce2-de28-4b8f-b9e3-371114184096">Re: how would i go about registering for gift certificates ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the honeymoon registry is the way to go with this one.  It is never a good idea to directly ask for money.  On myregistry.com you can set up and account and call it a honeymoon registry but in truth you will be getting cash because the funds go into you paypal account.  After the funds are available you can transfer them to your bank account.  My FI and I did this because we are still deciding where we want to go for the European honeymoon we have been dreaming of.  Good Luck!
    Posted by cirkusgirl[/QUOTE]

HRs are nothing more than cash registries with the added bonus of being deceitful.  Nothing says you love and respect your guests like lying to them about what they are giving you as a gift (it's not the $100 dinner, it's a check for about $92 after the HR company takes out its fee).
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-would-i-go-about-registering-for-gift-certificates?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:45c7d7b7-7188-4969-80dc-e5cab4e2fae5Post:b2461ce2-de28-4b8f-b9e3-371114184096">Re: how would i go about registering for gift certificates ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the honeymoon registry is the way to go with this one.  It is never a good idea to directly ask for money.  <strong>On myregistry.com you can set up and account and call it a honeymoon registry but in truth you will be getting cash because the funds go into you paypal account.</strong>  After the funds are available you can transfer them to your bank account.  My FI and I did this because we are still deciding where we want to go for the European honeymoon we have been dreaming of.  Good Luck!
    Posted by cirkusgirl[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>So you are not being honest with your guests that your HM registry is really just a request for cash?  

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-would-i-go-about-registering-for-gift-certificates?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:45c7d7b7-7188-4969-80dc-e5cab4e2fae5Post:5158e9fd-bb4b-4597-b867-775ba462624a">Re: how would i go about registering for gift certificates ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: how would i go about registering for gift certificates ? : Ughh, this is slight threadjacking but you've hit the nail on the head with my biggest pet peeve. FI and I live in Canada, though we're getting married in America, where I'm from. We registered in Canada since a lot of friends and family are coming from here, and there really aren't may places that are good options to register - only Sears and The Bay. We didn't want anything at Sears, so we went with The Bay only to find out they automatically put gift cards at the top of the registry - I can't take it off. I feel so tacky and wanted to delete my registry but there is no place else to register. Ughhhh!
    Posted by Fancypantsamy[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>At Pottery Barn, I noticed that either it came up with an automatic note that gift cards could be given or the woman who set up the registry put that there without asking us!  YUCK, soooo tacky!  Fortunately though, I was able to delete it as soon as I saw it.  Really people get that you might want gift cards for a place you are registered if you have registered there...</div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-would-i-go-about-registering-for-gift-certificates?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:45c7d7b7-7188-4969-80dc-e5cab4e2fae5Post:c5994a0a-d12c-40a3-9968-4e28b8e010b1">Re: how would i go about registering for gift certificates ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: how would i go about registering for gift certificates ? : So you are not being honest with your guests that your HM registry is really just a request for cash?  
    Posted by MNVegas[/QUOTE]

Wow, some of you are so up tight.  I don't see it as lying at all.  It's called a HONEYMOON REGISTRY because you use it for your honeymoon.  We are spending the money on plane tickets and hotels and they all know it.  Several of my guests have told me that they love the idea of helping my FI and I take the vacation of our dreams.  How is that dishonest?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • Emily Post says:

Explore alternative registries.  

You're not limited to just registering for "stuff."  You can also register for a honeymoon or other trip 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards