Connecticut

Friday night verus Saturday night?

It’s a tough debate. Friday evening wedding verus Saturday evening. Ideally, I would love a Saturday evening wedding. People are not rushing out of work. Saturday is more traditional. The cost difference between a Friday night versus a Saturday night is 15 per person. I am looking at 100 guest list. Is Friday night that much of a discount? Is it over my budget, yes. Both Friday and Saturday night are. Friday night is already 20.00 per person over my ideal budget. Saturday would be 35 per person over my ideal budget. However, can I cut costs elsewhere to make up the difference?

Re: Friday night verus Saturday night?

• Do you have a date in mind? I would think that most summer 2012 dates, especially Saturdays, are already booked.

Would you consider an off season wedding? Prices are deeply discounted in the off season, which I believe is about October through April (so mostly winter months). You could do a Saturday night wedding in the off season to save money.

Otherwise, I think you should try the Friday night, or a Sunday day/night - or a different venue. Starting out overbudget is not a good idea. 15*100 is $1,500 - that's the difference between great flowers and just okay flowers, or a live band and a DJ.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_friday-night-verus-saturday-night?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:00fde418-5313-481c-912a-134869698491Post:80f32e7b-9d4f-4f00-95a0-0b04f8e6440b">Re: Friday night verus Saturday night?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you have a date in mind? I would think that most summer 2012 dates, especially Saturdays, are already booked. [/QUOTE]

This.  Also consider that on a Friday night wedding you will possibly have more people decline to come due to travel, not having time off, etc. 

Obviously the choice is yours and you will know your guests better than anyone here.  It is very tough to weigh the pros and cons for the different days.
    June 2012 - September Siggy Challenge: Bouquet Inspiration imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest My Bio
  • Its a tough choice- we did the same thing when deciding.  Consider this... Is the vendor you are looking at in the city where there will be traffic or no?  If there will be traffic just imagine you guests in rush hour traffic trying to get to your ceremony- icky.  How important is a night wedding?  You could go with saturday or sunday during the day.  We ended up booking in November because it was like 20 dollars a head cheaper and went with the Saturday :)  its tough though.  If you are that stuck on saturday just check your budget- one day is not worth more debt than you are comfy with!  Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_friday-night-verus-saturday-night?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:00fde418-5313-481c-912a-134869698491Post:f61adbc5-5945-4bbe-81fd-5a51c5763e8a">Re: Friday night verus Saturday night?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Its a tough choice- we did the same thing when deciding.  Consider this... Is the vendor you are looking at in the city where there will be traffic or no?  If there will be traffic just imagine you guests in rush hour traffic trying to get to your ceremony- icky.  How important is a night wedding?  You could go with saturday or sunday during the day.<strong>  We ended up booking in November because it was like 20 dollars a head cheaper and went with the Saturday :)</strong>  its tough though.  If you are that stuck on saturday just check your budget- one day is not worth more debt than you are comfy with!  Good luck!
    Posted by nikki2012[/QUOTE]

We did the same thing but in March.  My dad was really adament about not doing Friday (I didn't really mind the idea because I've been to plenty of Fri night weddings), but it worked out great because in the "off-season" (<em>late</em> March), we're getting a great discount so it's a wash. 

I DEFINITELY agree with trying your hardest to avoid going overbudget on your venue.  Costs will creep up on you throughout your planning, so you need to be careful early on!!
    Anniversary
  • DH and I personally like Saturday weddings over Friday weddings, simply because you're off from work. Friday weddings, depending on where and what time they are, could be a hassel for guests who live farther away. Plus, I always find that I have to rush from work to go home and get ready, to be to the ceremony/reception on time.

Is a Saturday daytime wedding an option or an off-season wedding? Usually they are cheaper so you might be able to save a bit there. GL!
    Anniversary
  • Agree with PP. I went to a daytime Sat wedding over the summer and it was awesome! Or even a Sunday afternoon wedding..
  • I ended up picking a Friday night because there was a 10% discount, ideally I wanted a Saturday night.  However, all the weddings I've been to were all on Fridays and they worked out fine!  I actually like it now because we are waiting until Sunday to go on our HM so we will have a day to relax and get last minute things together. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker kayleigh-3-1 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Moonlightsilver: I am hoping for either October, November 2012 or April-July of 2013. Most places are already booked October and November and I am even finding more popular venues are booking fast in their off season because of price discounts. I am considering off season. I don’t want December-March due to the high change of snow and my venue being an hour away. However you never know in New England.

Nikki2012: I wouldn’t say necessarily traffic, but the venue is an hour away which may affect some people. However even Saturday in the off season November-April at our venue is over my budget. I could go with a different venue and have a Saturday evening wedding in the month of my choosing but I am willing to sacrifice having an off season wedding and having a Friday wedding to have it at the venue I fell in love with.

Abeja: I am with you. Ideally I want a Saturday wedding. But I don’t know if I can justify the $20 per person extra cost associated with it. Your family is beautiful J

• We went with a Friday night and then we are doing a day after party (courtsey of my parents) on Saturday - beer and hot wings =)
  • My sister wanted to get married on a Saturday in Early October (this goes back to 2010) and found that she saved almost 40% having a late November wedding. It's not for everyone, but if you don't mind chilly weather, it could be a great savings!

I'm considering a late March wedding myself, to try and keep the $$ down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards