Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Name change kits

Has anyone purchased a name change kit?  I am willing to do something on line, I just don't want to invest a lot of money.  Please share the names of the kits you purchased and where.

Thanks,

Melanie
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Name change kits

• Don't do it. They just send you the forms you could get for free anyway and you'll still have to go to the SS office and DMV and so on yourself. Changing your name is really easy, promise. I got the three main ones (SS, license, and bank) done over the course of two days.
  • I got suckered into one. They're a complete waste of money.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• I agree... the kit is a waste.  I got all requests submitted in a week.  Super easy, expecially if you make appointments at SS and DMV.  SS took two business days for it to post, on the third I went to DMV.  Cinch.  Don't understand why so many people make such a big deal about it.  It was actually quite fun (expecially when it came to receiving my new cards in the mail).
  • I agree, you'll actually probably spend more time giving those companies all the information you need than you would doing it yourself.

In my city, I had to go to the SS office in person.  I went first thing in the morning, I was in and out in 10 minutes.  I had to wait 2 days for the change to post, then I went to the DMV (which you always have to do in person anyways because you have to get a new picture) which took about 15 minutes.

For everything else, I just emailed them and that was that.  Each email was 2 lines and took less than a minute to send.

It's really not as big of a deal as those 'kit' companies make it out to be.  It's quite easy to do yourself and paying someone else to do it would be a complete waste.
    Anniversary
  • It is really easy to change your name on your own. You really don't need a kit, trust me :)
    BabyFruit Ticker www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards