Washington-Seattle
Options

Liquor purchase

We are having an open bar, and we need to provide the booze. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on where to purchase. Originally we had thought it might be worth it to drive down to northern CA as they are not a liquor control state and have big warehouses apparently right over the boarder. Then a coworker of mine volunteered to take me to the commissary (?) at McCord since her husband is in the Air Force. I'm really not that friendly with her, and I don't know how serious she was. I'm sure it's not that big of a deal for her, maybe just a couple hours of her time, but still. Now I'm thinking it might not be worth it as the total we might potentially save from driving all the way to CA (and staying one night in a hotel) or from asking the favor of my coworker to take me to the base might essentially be a wash. Also, when I got my banquet permit, it specifically states that all liquor served must be purchased in WA state. So, what do you guys think? Should I just go the easy route and order from our local liquor store, go to CA, or take my coworker up on the offer to go to the base? Anyone have any experience with how often someone comes and checks to see if the liquor was bought here? I feel like it would only come up if there was a problem later, but I don't want something so stupid to cause a big headache at or after the wedding.

*Edit: Our wedding is Aug. 19th and will be about 150 - 175 people.

Re: Liquor purchase

• Options
    edited December 2011
    NO. Go to the BX/Commisary. Honestly. My fi and I are Navy and going there means you know for a FACT that it will be cheaper than anywhere in Washington, PLUS tax free, so most likely cheaper than California. .

If you get it on base, bring cash. SHE will have to "pay" for it, and they will check her ID, but it's really know big. It happens aaaaall the time.
    It will never come up later and won't be a big headache... I would say just take her up on the offer, if you need to save the money. (also, if you're buying wine, go to trader joes... they have cheap, good wine. When I say cheap I mean cheap.. we're talking 3-5bucks a bottle. Love their whites :) )
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that it would probably be cheaper to take her up on the offer. My FI was a bartender at a wedding last august and they got the alcohol on base and it was super affordable!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Frogger5Frogger5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys, I will suck it up and ask her - now to figure out what to buy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, and not that it really matters, but it is technically illegal to drive alcohol over state lines, to going to Cali and bringing it back would technically be breaking the law (not sure how it's really enforced). 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    emyinpink- It's technically fraud and abuse to buy something at the commissary with the intent of using( or giving it to) it for anything/one other than yourself. hahaha... so legality doesn't have much of a role in this one I think :P
  • Options
    Frogger5Frogger5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Really? I'm not military and don't really know anyone who is, so I didn't know that. I suppose it makes sense, though, once I think about it. Maybe we'll end up just ordering it through the liquor store. Like I said, I'm not really that afraid of somehow getting in trouble, but I don't want to have that at the back of my mind the whole night.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They don't have a way of tracing it back to you, is the deal, so you're in the clear... If it weren't illegal then you could just .. go there yourself instead of having your coworker take you :P
    I know people that do it ALLLL THE TIME.
    In Germany we used to buy our German neighboors rootbeer and  lays chips/fritos because they LOVE them and don't have them there.  :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards