Destination Weddings Discussions

Etiquette Question- his name first or mine?

I'm getting this great custom stamp created for return addressing (etsy seller lovetocreatestamps ) but when the designer puts Carey and Gary, the spacing is funky.

Is it odd to have Gary and Carey? Does the girl's name have to go first?

Re: Etiquette Question- his name first or mine?

• I put his name first. 

imageExerciseMilestone Anniversary
  • It is proper etiquitte to put the woman's name first. But when I ordered my stamp it looked better to have Tom's name first, so I did. Heck, if I listened to "proper etiquitte" I wouldn't be having a DW either! Do whatever you want.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • great, thanks ladies!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_etiquette-question-his-name-first-mine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:5d32e6a2-b796-48a2-9548-583d2e15faf3Post:ee5b7676-8387-433b-bb11-f7c5eb78474a">Re: Etiquette Question- his name first or mine?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It is proper etiquitte to put the woman's name first.
    Posted by DiamondDani[/QUOTE]

I wondered about this. Does this apply to return address labels only, or does it also apply to signing things (such as, Love, Laura and Dave)? I always do Laura and Dave everything but I felt like it was because I was the one making everything, so I changed to Dave and Laura since the man's name comes first when married. I wasn't sure what the right way was! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_etiquette-question-his-name-first-mine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:5d32e6a2-b796-48a2-9548-583d2e15faf3Post:ca4751ab-d7cf-46e0-95d6-06cf34d2d337">Re: Etiquette Question- his name first or mine?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Etiquette Question- his name first or mine? : I wondered about this. Does this apply to return address labels only, or does it also apply to signing things (such as, Love, Laura and Dave)? I always do Laura and Dave everything but I felt like it was because I was the one making everything, so I changed to Dave and Laura since the man's name comes first when married. I wasn't sure what the right way was! 
    Posted by LolaPizzy[/QUOTE]

I did it Meghan and Josh for the invites and STD's.  For the invites you generally put the brides name first because you put:

Mr. and Mrs. _____________ request the honor of your presence at the marriage of their daughter ___________ to ____________. 

I really don't think it matters about the return address labels it's just a dumb ettiquette thing, that you really don't have to follow, and to be honest, I don't think anyone really notices those kinds of things. 
    imageExerciseMilestone Anniversary
  • Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards