June 2012 Weddings
Options

Talk about bad timing!

I got an official jury summons in the mail this week!

Of course, they wanted me to report on 5/30.  Um, hello!  I can't because of all the last minute things of planning a wedding that's happening in two weeks, not to mention being out of the country for the honeymoon.

I called the commissioner's office and explained I'm getting married, and she gave me a postponement of two years!  Whew.  So glad I don't have to deal with the added stress so close to the wedding :)

Re: Talk about bad timing!

• Options
    Glad it all worked out!! I've actually thought about that the other day!
  • Options
    I had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks after my son was born! I called and explained that I was breastfeeding to the man that answered the phone. He took me off the list. hahah!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    FI was summoned for during duty on :::drumroll::: June 8th! He got out of it though...
    Vacation White Knot
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_talk-about-bad-timing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:c8a758a8-e950-4711-bc1b-ca51e44fd829Post:7caca952-f847-443e-8c38-235ae33c8f5b">Re: Talk about bad timing!</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI was summoned for during duty on :::drumroll::: June 8th! He got out of it though...
    Posted by melntaitt[/QUOTE]

Too funny! 
  • Options
    I'm glad you were able to get out of it!!

I've never been called for jury duty, but always wondered what it was like. I know it's a crazy process to even be chosen. We live in a mostly quiet area crime wise, but a few years back there was a highly publicized trial where a man had kidnapped a woman off the street and held her hostage in his basement for a month before she finally managed to escape. They originally called something like 5000 people (area pop. of about 140,000) to jury duty for the case and people were eliminated for even the slightest reason so as to not jeopardize the fairness of the trial until there was only 10 people left so the chances of actually having to serve jury duty are pretty slim from what I've seen/heard.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My mom got one for 2 days before the wedding. She's trying to get it postponed.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Wow, I'm glad yu go out of it. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I got called for jury duty last winter while I was in school. I asked them to postpone and they did... to the week that my FI's sister is getting married. Oops. I'm going to call after our honeymoon and see if they can move it up to July.
  • Options
    Oh man! I lived over seas for a while and I would get called and my mom had to literally convince them that I was living out of the country and couldn't come. So now they have me listed as over seas.

On the flip side of that I lived in Israel and was in the army there, I'm listed for reserves and they called me up a year or so ago. My friends there had to tell them a few times I'm living back in the states right now. Their records should show that!
  • Options
    I've always gotten out of it because of work. I did get summoned once and I decided to go, but I got dismissed because of my (favorable) views on guns (when used responsibly).
  • Options
    glad you got out of it!!

tara, I hope your mom gets out of hers too
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    I got summoned for July 24th! I'm SO thankful it wasn't for June. Good thing you got it postponed!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    Fi got one for June 1st! Haha. He got it post poned as well. He said he'd tell the judge he'd better lock up the guy that stole our truck, or wed be back here after I smacked the truck thief for ruining the wedding.
  • Options
    Glad you got out of it.
  • Options
    My brother got picked last year or the year before when he was called. He showed up in a Hell's Angels shirt and ripped greased stained jeans that he wears when working on his race car. He told the judge that if he doesn't go to work he doesn't get paid. The judge said they have to pay him by law. My brother tried to answer every question wrong but it didn't work and they still picked him. The judge told him there is such a thing as court room decorum and to not show up in ripped jeans and my brother tried to tell him that's all he owned lol. He was NOT getting out of it lol. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards