Colorado-Denver

Name change process

Hi everyone,
Just got back from my destination wedding in New Orleans. I want to start the process of changing my name. I have a photo copy of the marriage certificate signed by reverend and I was wondering if it was enough to apply for name change at ssn office and/or DMV?
To get certified copy from new Orleans I will have to wait till December to even request one. They are very laid back there in Louisiana :)
Any advice?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Name change process

• edited December 2011
    I just went to the SS office and you have to have a Certified copy or the original then you have to wait minimum 2 days to go to the DMV after the SS Office.  The copy you have won't be enough sorry it will take so long to get it but thats what they wanted from me.  I had one of the certified copies of mine and because it was stamped on the back rather then the front they almost didn't realize it was certified and asked for the original.  All you can do is wait...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I still have the original certificate with me but I need to send it back to New Orleans. Do they just look at the certificate or take it into files?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    They looked at the certificate and entered in the information they needed.  I would call before going down there though I was waiting for 1.5 hours to get my number called I don't want you wasting your time in the office for them to tell you no.  I imagine they want the marriage certificate to be registared before changing your name since the registration of the certificate is what makes the marriage valid in the eyes of the govenment.  
  • edited December 2011
    Tiffany,
    Thanks for all your help!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Went to the SSN office today. I tried to call to find out about the marriage  certificate stuff through the phone but couldn't get through to a real person, so I decided just to go in. And after 1.5h of waiting I got my name officially changed!!!! :)
    Tomorrow DMV here I come!!!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Good for you!!  Tomorrow is DMV office for me...I travel for work so I am having to do a little bit at a time till I get to my Pilot Certificate and Passport then it has to be super fast...its so difficult!!  I have so many different governmental certificates being an airline pilot it stinks!
  • edited December 2011
    Unfortunately DMV didn't take the original. You were right about having it first registered with state. DMV needs a number my certificate will have. Oh well I'll have to wait after all. I travel for work too :) Not a pilot but flight attendant. So I'm gonna go through the same crazy process of changing passport, airport and work badges. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ugh Sorry you couldn't get your DL changed... Once you have the certified copy it is easy!!  FYI when you go you don't have to go to the county you live in so I went down to the one off of E. County Line Road(Littelton Office) and it only took me 1 hour to get done!  Take a number as soon as you walk in you don't need to stand in the line and have an extra something wiht you to prove your address(bill ect).  They took my Marriage certificate at address proof but I called the pone number before and they said it wouldn't be enough so cover your bases!!  What airline do you work for??  
  • edited December 2011
    BTW I only ask cause if we work at the same place I will fill you in on how to best deal with the marital status changes!  It has been a bit of a headache for me!
  • edited December 2011
    I went to the county line and broadway DMV in Littleton. It wasn't too crowded, so I'm sure it doesn't take much time to get your name change once you have all correct paperwork :)
    I work for SkyWest. How about you?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ha Ha I work for Skywest too...I haven't changed my name with them yet waiting till after our HM.  Have you already added him to your contacts and so forth??  They wanted the front and back of the certified copy (I scanned and sent in my original and they wouldn't take it)   I am going to PM you my Email address and if you need help faxing in your information to Benefits/Travel center I will be more then happy to help you out.  I hope I get to fly with you some time!!
  • edited December 2011
    I had a feeling we work for the same airline haha I won't be able to add my husband to my benefits till I get the certified copy of my marriage certificate. I've had him as domestic partner for couple of years now. I probably will do all the changes after the honeymoon also. We are planning on going to Thailand in January. How about you?
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards