Hawaii

dress shopping...

I'm finally going dress shopping with my mom... AHHHH very nervous and kind of excited :) hopefully i'll find "the one" :)

any advice? :)
Todd & Cari
7.23.2011~Hale Koa Hotel

Re: dress shopping...

• edited December 2011
    Have FUN! 

Advice (from when I used to watch "Say Yes to the Dress"), try on five (at most) different silhouettes that you think you like.  That'll help you narrow it down to "the one's" type.  I think they recommended never trying on more than 4-5 at once, too.

Good luck!
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wear comfy undies you're ok w/ people seeing (i.e. probably not g-string).  Eat at normal meal times.  Don't take ppl who are catty or unsupportive.  Stick with what YOU like no matter what anyone else thinks.  Have fun!!
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oooh, have fun!  We just went bridesmaid dress shopping today and I had to try on my dress again - love it!  I agree with the other girls, try on ANYTHING you see cause there were plenty I saw on the rack and didn't like them at all and they were stunning on - you never know what you'll like!

And - bring supportive people.  I get so angry when I see people on Say Yes to the Dress being mean and voicing their opinion of the dress as though they are a critic rather than a helpful friend.  I just took my Mom with me, and I loved it.  Too many people is too many opinions, and your own opinion might get drown out in all the excitement. 

Good luck!  Take pictures!!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    - make an appointment
    - don't go hungry - I thought that trying on dresses was really exhausting, it also took longer than I expected. I was starving by the time I was done.
    - wear tights/leggings

Once you narrow down your top few choices:
    - try sitting, walking, bending down etc. in the dress - When I was trying on dresses, I spent most of my time standing and looking in the mirror at my front & back...but actually for most of the wedding (the reception anyways) I was sitting down...also people will want to hug you and if you do a money dance people will be sticking dollar bills around your dress etc. so definitely want something you are comfortable and can move around in
    - Consider feasibiliy, cost and time for alterations - the store I went to told me I could alter this or that, but turns out when I took my dress to my seamstress, she said the dress wouldn't look right
    - think about how the dress might look with a bustle and the type of bustle that would work well with the dress.
    - think about how the dress would photograph - I had a satin dress and when I looked at some of my friend's non-pro pictures, I thought it looked a little shiny. Definitely try to take pictures if you can!

Most important, have fun & enjoy it, Hope this helps!

By the way, I tried on dresses at my local salon, took down the dress info and ended up purchasing my dress online from rkbridal. They can pretty much get any styles for significantly less (around $200 less for my dress, plus no shipping or sales tax) compared to the local salon I went to in California. Not sure if they ship to Hawaii though but worth looking into. However, if you order online, you'll have to find someone for alterations vs just going back to the store.
  • dianab0237dianab0237 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yay!!! good luck and have fun! hope you find something amazing!
  • edited December 2011
    i think all the girls have said it ...i would add:
    -have a good time
    -do not bring a whole of people with you-too many different opinions can hurt your experience and possibly confuse you
    -choose something you love and feel good in
    -Good Luck on your search and do share a pic if you want to

Ally
    Ally & Mar | 08.09.10 | The Coconut Club, Oahu
    Planning Bio-updated 06/07 | Married Bio & For SALE items

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Bring a camera so you can see later what you looked like in the dress and can review what you've tried on.

Good luck.. have fun and only bring one or two people with you otherwise you'll grow confused by too many opinions.

Lady Faye
  • edited December 2011
    Cari - I don't think there's such thing as 'the one'! That's my best advice. You'll totally rock a bunch of different dresses.
  • edited December 2011
    ooh, have fun!

i would say, don't try on dresses out of your price range like they always do on Say Yes to the Dress.

excited for you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards