Maine
Options

Desserts! I concede defeat: help me choose!

Hi ladies!
I haven't been on this board in a while, so I'll re-introduce myself!  I'm living in NC having my destination wedding in Maine this October.  I was around more often when I started planning and was trying to pick my venue, but then fell off the face of the earth while finishing my masters.  Since then, I've lurked on here a bit.  I hope you ladies will be able to help me!
Speaking of lurking on this board, that was how I found Nothing Bakes Like a Parrot!  Based on comments from this board, reviews I've read elsewhere, her prices, and our conversations so far, I'm pretty sold.  I was planning on just ordering two dozen cupcakes for my 15-or-so guests, but then she sent me her desserts brochure, and zomg..  
FI's no help, so I'm hoping you all can offer some input.  Which would you choose?  Any other feedback you can offer is also much appreciated.  Thank you all so much in advance!

Re: Desserts! I concede defeat: help me choose!

• Options
    hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome back!  I got married last month and Jessica did my cake.  It was A-MAZ-ING!

I voted for 2 of the options - cupcakes and whoopie pies.  The cupcakes because I've had some of her flavors and I think her buttercream is to die for.  And the whoopie pies because it's a Maine thing!

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    amshaw1amshaw1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted cupcakes!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    <div>Thanks for the initial feedback, ladies!</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_desserts-concede-defeat-choose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:28409197-f86d-4f3b-807b-4f212395a830Post:1e921163-b723-4442-91ba-a89f2cf52742">Re: Desserts! I concede defeat: help me choose!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome back!  <strong>I got married last month and Jessica did my cake.  It was A-MAZ-ING!</strong> I voted for 2 of the options - cupcakes and whoopie pies.  <strong>The cupcakes because I've had some of her flavors and I think her buttercream is to die for.  And the whoopie pies because it's a Maine thing!</strong> Good luck!
    Posted by hcorrigan34[/QUOTE]

<div>I am SO HAPPY to hear that you loved her cake!  Definitely good to hear.  Which flavors of cupcakes have you had?  I feel like you kind of can't go wrong with cupcakes.  I've also been leaning toward having Whoopie Pies due to the Maine-ness.  We've never been to Maine, and neither have our guests, so I think that'd be a nice way to add some of that in there.  Hrmm..   Maybe I'll do both!  She apparently does the Whoopie Pies in lots of different flavors too.</div>
  • Options
    hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    I had the strawberry margarita, strawberry, confetti, vanilla, and chocolate cupcakes.  Our cake was strawberry margarita with strawberry filling, confetti with pudding, and strawberry with chocolate ganache (that part's in the freezer). 

We got a lot of compliments on our cake.  I've been to plenty of weddings where the cake has been so-so, too dry or way too sweet.  Ours was excellent and her prices are unbelievable!

I'm very interested in hearing more about your wedding since you've never been here before!  Why did you choose Maine?  Where exactly are you getting married?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whoa, strawberry with chocolate ganache, yum!  Logging that away.  Not sure what we'd do for flavors, but I know since FI doesn't like cake, I'll get to pick them, bwahahhaa.  Hmm, maybe we could do funkier cupcakes and then do the classic chocolate-vanilla combo for the Whoopie Pies.  The more I think about it, the more I want cupcakes and some of those Whoopie Pies..
    Aww, thank you! :)  It took us a long time to get to Maine.  Our wedding went through about three iterations before one day I finally asked FI, "If you could go anywhere in the country to get married, where would you want to go?"  He said "Maine" without even thinking about it.  He wanted to go for the lobster, which seemed like a good enough excuse to me, haha.  But then I started doing my research.  Maine is so beautiful!  I've always wanted a fall foliage wedding, so I was like a kid in a candy store looking at venues.  After way more Googling and Knotting than I care to admit, we finally settled on the Bear Mountain Inn in Waterford (Clicky).  We originally wanted to elope, and they have a package that takes care of everything, so that provided a lot of motivation for choosing it.  Since then, we've had interventions and a change of heart and will be having a teeny tiny guest list of VIP family members.  I'm really excited!
    Congratulations on your wedding!!  Where were you married?  I love that pic of you and DH in front of the lightouse, breathtaking!  I'm so happy to be getting married in Maine's beautiful forests, but sometimes I wonder if maybe we should've picked a coastal venue instead.  It was REALLY tough!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a dessert bar, and I loved it, so I voted for three things.  I would pick cupcakes, fruit tarts (although pies would also be good), and nutella cheesecake brownies.  I'm not a huge whoopie pie fan (I know, I'm a terrible person), although I see the appeal of having them as a Maine thing for guests to try.  
  • Options
    hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    That place looks gorgeous!  I bet it will be amazing in the fall.

We got married at Fort Williams in Cape Elizabeth.  It's a lighthouse and old fort near Portland.  And thank you...We are completely in love with that picture and I plan to have a nice big version of it blown up for us to hang!  I will be a complete AW right now and say that I have a thread a bit down on the first page with a link to my pro pics - there are a bunch from the ceremony site that show what's there!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, jessicabessica!  I've been debating tarts/pies because I know they're what FI likes.  Jessica Parrot has a key lime tart, and those are FI's favorite.

hcorrigan, thank you!  I'm seriously hoping so.  Our date is right at the start of October, so we're hoping the leaves will still be near their peak.  Hehe, no apologies, AW away!  Your pics came out beautifully!  I love all of the ones of you and DH in front of the lighthouse.  And there's one where you're walking and the clouds are all streaked overhead that's just gorgeous.  They're all lovely, but I gotta say, that one in your sig blows everything else out of the water.  That will look stunning hung up.  Sigh, I love looking at wedding photos!  I actually looked into Fort Williams during the researching, it made a great backdrop for your pics.  Where did you have your reception?  I almost feel like there isn't an intimate/outdoor venue I didn't come across at one point or another, haha.  
  • Options
    Maine PlannerMaine Planner member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I always think that cupcakes are exciting and satisfying!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I picked whoopie pies because they are so new england! and so yummy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_desserts-concede-defeat-choose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:28409197-f86d-4f3b-807b-4f212395a830Post:69b28c1d-8ea7-4823-9d7b-6810bd6d0ea3">Re: Desserts! I concede defeat: help me choose!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, jessicabessica!  I've been debating tarts/pies because I know they're what FI likes.  Jessica Parrot has a key lime tart, and those are FI's favorite. hcorrigan, thank you!  I'm seriously hoping so.  Our date is right at the start of October, so we're hoping the leaves will still be near their peak.  Hehe, no apologies, AW away!  Your pics came out beautifully!  I love all of the ones of you and DH in front of the lighthouse.  And there's one where you're walking and the clouds are all streaked overhead that's just gorgeous.  They're all lovely, but I gotta say, that one in your sig blows everything else out of the water.  That will look stunning hung up.  Sigh, I love looking at wedding photos!  I actually looked into Fort Williams during the researching, it made a great backdrop for your pics.  <strong>Where did you have your reception? </strong> I almost feel like there isn't an intimate/outdoor venue I didn't come across at one point or another, haha.  
    Posted by lrmain[/QUOTE]

Our reception was at a local event center/hotel (Seasons Event and Conference Center is the new name they are using).  Nothing special in terms of location - but amazing prices and food! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_desserts-concede-defeat-choose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:28409197-f86d-4f3b-807b-4f212395a830Post:f9bfcb93-d0ed-44f5-97c0-bdf896663a80">Re: Desserts! I concede defeat: help me choose!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desserts! I concede defeat: help me choose! : Our reception was at a local event center/hotel (Seasons Event and Conference Center is the new name they are using).  Nothing special in terms of location - <strong>but amazing prices and food! </strong>
    Posted by hcorrigan34[/QUOTE]

<div>That is seriously all you need!</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks so much for all of the input, ladies!  You guys are really selling me on those Whoopie Pies.  I think those and cupcakes are going to be the ones making the final cut.  Now to get FI to agree :P</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards