New Jersey
Options

to rent or buy a wedding dress?

Hello everyone, my fiance and I were discussing our options for my wedding dress.  He wants me to rent the dress since I will only wear it once. I wanted to buy my dress. Will a rented dress be really much cheaper?

I also have special specifcations for my dress, it needs to be long sleeved and not see thru, most of the dresses I see online are sleevless of course so alterations will need to be done.

So I guess my question is can I rent a dress I like and then have whatever alterations I want done to it and then bring it back after the wedding is over?

how much did u girls spend on average for your wedding gowns?

Re: to rent or buy a wedding dress?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of brides renting their wedding dress, but to be honest I've never looked into it either.  I'm not sure what your budget is but I spent $1150 on my dress and it is by Sottero and Midgley.  Here is a link http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?style=JSM1307 All their dresses in this line are around this price.  You can also try to buy at a sample sale/off the rack to save some money. 

My only thought is that you may need to alter any dress you find to make it long sleeve and not seethrough so you will have to add the alterations to the price of the dress.  I wouldn't think you would be able to alter a rented dress though. 

Or my other thought is if any of your family members have their wedding dress that you could wear, such as your mom, aunts.  My moms wedding dress was long sleeves and not seethrough.  That would also be nice bc its sentimental. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Based on your name and that you need a long sleeve dress, I'm going to assume your sephardi?If I'm right, try looking into gemachs in Lakewood, Brooklyn, possibly even Deal. They rent dresses (since most frum people don't buy dresses) and it includes the alterations (though long sleeves isn't considered alterations since they all are already long sleeves). In the non-Jewish community, people don't tend to rent dresses.
  • Options
    dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I thought about renting a dress but couldn't find any place that offered this.  You'd think NYC has everything.

There are some great on line sites that offer temple ready gowns with sleeves for reasonable prices. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lakewood has a huge Jewish community. You could also see if Highland Park has any bridal stores as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_rent-buy-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:4a97ff47-25c7-48b3-a790-580b23fa6b9dPost:759dc702-9ffb-4d61-96cd-7f57db93aa1e">Re: to rent or buy a wedding dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Based on your name and that you need a long sleeve dress, I'm going to assume your sephardi?<strong>If I'm right, try looking into gemachs in Lakewood, Brooklyn, possibly even Deal.</strong> They rent dresses (since most frum people don't buy dresses) and it includes the alterations (though long sleeves isn't considered alterations since they all are already long sleeves). In the non-Jewish community, people don't tend to rent dresses.
    Posted by smilygrl17[/QUOTE]

Ditto Smily, but I think Deal might be a stretch. The stores there that cater to the Jewish community tend to be much more ritzy, so if price is an issue for you I would try in Lakewood or Brooklyn.

To answer your other questions, my dress is the same Sottero and Midgley posted above and it was $1100 as well. Most of the dresses I tried on were between $800 and $1500. I think if you don't want to rent you might also try Davids Bridal, you can occasionally find dresses there that are very inexepensive and take them elsewhere for alterations (I've heard they can be pricey). Thinking in the Lakewood area you can try looking at Sales Unlimited (in Bayville), their dresses are all sold with free alterations so that might help cut costs.

Good luck!
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You can find a bridal gown for any budget if you look hard enough. I never seriously looked into renting a gown, but from what I read it's not a whole lot cheaper than just buying one. And I can't imagine that you'd be allowed to make extensive alterations to a rental gown.

And it doesn't need to be a "bridal gown," either. Plenty of brides get a white/ivory bridesmaid's dress or evening gown, and nobody would ever know that it's not technically a "bridal gown." You should wear whatever makes you happy.

Check out eBay, Criagslist, Nordstrom.com, Dillards.com, PreOwnedWeddingDresses.com, SaveTheDress.com and bridesmaid dress websites to see if there's something you like:

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/used-wedding-dresses?data%5BQualifiers%5D%5BDress%5D%5BLimit%5D=100

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Wedding-Dresses-/63851/i.html?rt=nc&Sleeve%2520Style=Long%2520Sleeve&_catref=1&_dcat=63851&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Do the sleeves need to go all the way to your wrists? The David's Bridal website has a 3/4-length jacket available. Or must the sleeves be part of your dress, and not a removeable jacket?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards