Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Photographer Help

Does anyone have a budget photographer they can highly recommend?  I'm going through some sticker shock right now.  Have been working with one who seems great, but not sure if it will work with our budget or not.  I've looked into several that have been recommended on this board, but it seems that all their prices have gone up quite a bit.

thanks!!

Re: Photographer Help

• Options
    I think the cheapest that I've seen on this board have been Dark Roux which starts at $2,000 and Sabree Hill whose starts somewhere $1,000 range.
  • Options
    We used Ardent Studio (Tim Pham) and his package was aroun 3000. I've ehard wonderful things about Dark Roux and Babs Evangelista.
  • Options
    Stevie Ramos!
  • Options
    I've been working with Erika Parker- she just did our engagement photos, and they are perfect. She's great and around $1000!
  • Options
    We are working with Tate Tullier out of Gonzales. I discovered him after he photographed a friend's wedding, and then my mom hired him to do my sister's graduation photos. We did our engagement photos with him a few months ago, and I was blown away by the results! Him and his wife work side by side, and they are super attentive and easy to work with. His style is pretty artistic, which is perfect for me, but may not be for everyone. However, if you appreciate a creative approach and a more photojournalistic/candid style, then you will love him! He recently had a price increase, but he is still very reasonable in my opinion.
  • Options
    My photographer is Jennifer Zdon from twirl photography, she's absolutely amazing. Her packages start at 2800.

here is her website:http://www.twirlphotography.com/index2.php?v=v2#/home/

Remember when you are looking at photographer prices, look at what you are getting for your money. For example, many of the "big names" (i.e. ardent, studio tran, babs, etc) have packages starting at $3000, but all you get is them showing up the day of to take your pictures. Engagements, albums, etc are all add-ons. Whereas other photographers will have packages starting around the same amount, but all their packages include bridal/engagement/an album etc etc etc.

Photography can be expensive, but rightfully so. It's an important part of your wedding - I'd advise you not to skimp too much, as I've seen many brides do that and then regret that they don't have the lasting images they wanted of a day that's already so expensive! just food for thought....

But I do agree with PP that Dark Roux has the most reasonably priced photography (where you dont sacrifice quality for price) that i've seen in the area. I'd snatch them up before they raise their prices too :)

Also - another tip. Just google wedding photographers in New Orleans. Ask your friends. Photographers just starting out may be AMAZING but not as well known (yet) and therefore may not charge as much as those already established. That's how I found Twirl!

Good luck! HTH!
  • Options
    Actually, our package included 2 photogs day of, a DVD with copyright of every picture taken, editing on all photos, a video and there are several size prints included as well. I would say that's a lot more than having him just show up and take pics. Not to mention, we had no use for an engagement session or photo album. I'm not at all pointing it out to be snarky, just being factual, and I know a TON of work goes into editing which people sometimes don't realize. Good luck OP!
  • Options
    Don't limit yourself to just the New Orleans area, either.  There are a lot of great photographers in NE LA you may like better, that will just charge a travel fee/hotel stay and will put you around the same price.

I'd look into Kimberly Newton, she's out of Jonesboro, LA.  I think her package is $1200-1400 before travel fees.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have Sabree Hill and she is wonderful.  Very easy to work with and packages under 1500. 
  • Options
    I inquired with Dark Roux and their lowest package is $2,800 for 4 hours without anything else included. I think they raised their prices dramatically.
  • Options
    We're using Simone Epiphany, for just over $1,000 she will travel in from Austin (she works in both cities) and gives you eight or nine hours and you get the CD to make whatever prints you want.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    NolaBride2012NolaBride2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_photographer-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:2db03448-677f-49e9-8e74-0bf6a7f974cfPost:a45719af-b9f0-487d-952e-2a063df58eec">Re: Photographer Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually, our package included 2 photogs day of, a DVD with copyright of every picture taken, editing on all photos, a video and there are several size prints included as well. I would say that's a lot more than having him just show up and take pics. Not to mention, we had no use for an engagement session or photo album. I'm not at all pointing it out to be snarky, just being factual, and I know a TON of work goes into editing which people sometimes don't realize. Good luck OP!
    Posted by Queen Jane[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry if my comment offended you. In re-reading my post, I realized it did not come out the way I intended. I did not mean in any way that editing is not a lot of work, because of course it is. I just meant that different photographers include different things in their "base packages" which may (or may not - as you pointed out) be things that you and your FI are interested in. Tim Pham is an amazing photographer, who I met with but ultimately determined to be out of my budget due to the things I wanted (engagement photos, album) that weren't included in his package.
  • Options
    We are using Mark Eric, while he is very pricey (worth every penny tho) he along with Jason Cohen and Studio Tran often mentor up and coming photographers in the area. Mark is very nice and extremely helpful he will recommend photographers that fit your budget as well as the style you like. His website is www.markeric.com he even has a section called "photographers we mentor" to help aide brides when his is over budget. Good luck!
  • Options
    You should look into Chantilly Photography. They are based out of Baton Rouge, and they are reasonable priced. Good luck!
  • Options
    Maybe check out Brenda Sison.  I noticed that her packages start at $2k and she does great work
  • Options
    You should also check out Sandra O'Claire. She's one of the biggest names in New Orleans. Her website says she starts at $2,250. I know she does unlimited hours with her packages too. 
  • Options

I am really bummed because the photographer I really want to use has not responded to the inquiry e-mail I sent almost two weeks ago. I'm trying to be patient because I know it is the holiday season, but I think I am going to have to start looking into other options.

I'm looking for someone who takes a completely photojournalistic approach. With the exception of the required family shots after the ceremony, my fiance and I do not want any of the usual posed, cliche photos that are becoming so trendy these days.

• Options
    Thanks Everyone!  I think we're close to finalizing our photographer, will let you know who we go with.

SBelle: I feel ya!  I think I've probably only heard back from 25% or less of the vendors I've emailed since mid-November.  Going to try some of them again in January.
  • Options
    louisianabluelouisianablue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sbelle: I love my photographer, Maile Lani, and have also used Magnolia Pair for engagement photos.  Both have a great photojournalistic style and promised to take my required family shots.

January is definitely slow season for weddings, so I would try again. 
  • Options

I just scheduled a meeting with Brenda Sison! So far, I'm really excited about her. I really like her portfolio and the many different options she offers. The pricing is probably the best I've seen in terms of what you get for your money.

I also like that she is attentive and straightforward. I sent her an inquiry and received a response by that evening. Later that night, we had already scheduled a meeting. It's important to me that I am able to communicate quickly and effectively with my vendors.

If they take more than 48 hours to simply answer a yes or no question - "Are you available on my date?" - it makes me hesitant to work with them because I wonder if it will be hard to get in touch with them for more important matters.

• Options
    We found Photography by Louis and were really impressed.  A friend recommended him, and we've loved the entire experience.  Prices are really reasonable too--compared to others.  www.photobylouis.com Just took my bridals last week with him, and they are amazing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We used Michael Caswell and he put together a custom package for us since we didn't want engagement or bridal photos or an album. He gave us 7 hours of coverage on the day of the wedding and provided 4 x 6 prints of all the shots and the pictures on a cd with a copyright release for around $2600. He was great to work with and we loved the results.
  • Options
    What ever you do, DON'T USE AMANDA MARKS!!!!!
  • Options
    Brenda Sison is amazing!! I absolutley love her. She did my cousins wedding and my engagements so far and can't wait till she does my wedding!! Her work is beautiful:)
  • Options
    Sara Kelley out of Baton Rouge is really good.  Her website is sarakelley.net.  She doesn't post her prices any more, but when she did, her prices were low and I personally think that the quality of her work is top notch.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards