Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Gym Recs? (XP with Nest)

So we're moving to Brooklyn Park (kinda by the 252/610/94 split) in a few weeks. Any suggestions on gyms in that area?  I see the Coon Rapids YMCA isn't far away, but I haven't gone to a Y since high school.

We currently belong to Snap, but I really miss having group classes to attend.

On a related note- anyone looking for a workout buddy in the NW 'burbs? ;)

Re: Gym Recs? (XP with Nest)

• Options
    EmilyW416EmilyW416 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try fitness 19 its right off Zane and 610!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Sarahsue1684Sarahsue1684 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think there is a lifetime by the cub foods as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_gym-recs-xp-nest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:81b15759-a1a5-4cb1-a388-467cf1aa62e4Post:f7432bce-92c4-419a-853d-62bbba1ca2df">Re: Gym Recs? (XP with Nest)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Try fitness 19 its right off Zane and 610!
    Posted by EmilyW416[/QUOTE]

<div>I saw that on Google Maps, too! It sounds kind of like Snap though... more DIY gym? :)  Do they have fitness classes and stuff too? or just a small room with weights and cardio stuff?</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used to go to that Y, but now go to Snap.  I only switched to Snap, so FI could join also & it was the same price.  I love that Y & they have great group classes with a lot of times available.  No complaints from me about the Emma B. Howe Y!  = )
  • Options
    EmilyW416EmilyW416 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_gym-recs-xp-nest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:81b15759-a1a5-4cb1-a388-467cf1aa62e4Post:2b6dbbb3-a925-4f58-9136-96159f9fe6d5">Re: Gym Recs? (XP with Nest)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gym Recs? (XP with Nest) : I saw that on Google Maps, too! It sounds kind of like Snap though... more DIY gym? :)  Do they have fitness classes and stuff too? or just a small room with weights and cardio stuff?
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Its a lil bigger then snap, but kinda same thing weights and cardio stuff. No classes but I pay like $16 a month so its super cheap. I miss classes though too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_gym-recs-xp-nest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:81b15759-a1a5-4cb1-a388-467cf1aa62e4Post:08c45a9e-097b-4ccf-a085-6ed520bdcf54">Re: Gym Recs? (XP with Nest)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used to go to that Y, but now go to Snap.  I only switched to Snap, so FI could join also & it was the same price.  I love that Y & they have<strong> great group classes with a lot of times available.</strong>  No complaints from me about the Emma B. Howe Y!  = )
    Posted by MikeNAndi[/QUOTE]

<div>awesome!  I usually just associate YMCA with lots of little kids, so it's nice to hear they have adult classes, too. It'll only be about $40 after my work rebate, so I think I can handle that!</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: did you do any personal training with them? Is it super expensive?? I think I'd like to do a few just to get myself back on track.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_gym-recs-xp-nest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:81b15759-a1a5-4cb1-a388-467cf1aa62e4Post:11629f35-eef3-4595-811f-3eac251fd5bf">Re: Gym Recs? (XP with Nest)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gym Recs? (XP with Nest) : awesome!  I usually just associate YMCA with lots of little kids, so it's nice to hear they have adult classes, too. It'll only be about $40 after my work rebate, so I think I can handle that! ETA: did you do any personal training with them? Is it super expensive?? I think I'd like to do a few just to get myself back on track.

Yeah, there's definitely kids there, but I feel like unless you're in the pool area, you don't really notice.  They have to be 16, I think, before they can be up in the workout area, so that helps cut down on little ones being up there.  I like too, that they have adult women's & men's locker rooms, & people have to be 18 or older to be in there.  I feel like it just helps keep the separation, if you're not there with kids yourself!

$40 isn't bad at all!  I didn't get a work discount because I have BCBS of New York... Sucks, but oh well!

I never did the training, so I have no advice there. 

I would suggest though going in for a tour with H, to get a feel of it.  Then you can ask them about the training stuff also!

GL!  = )
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I signed up with the YMCA not too long ago and they were running a special for a personal trainer. It was pretty decent deal for 6 sessions plus an consult for about $95 bucks which includes the $25 sign up fee. So it's kinda like 7 sessions for $70. Also look into the paying classes. They are smaller in attendance and you get a little personal training in them. I've liked my trainer a lot,  it's been a great kick-start to a new routine. 

BTW totally recommend a BOSU class. It's tough in a good a** kicking way. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey soon to be neighbor (haha- we're off 610 and Noble), I go to LA Fitness off Zane, by Cub Foods.  They have lots of group classes and a lot cheaper than Lifetime in Champlin.  I honestly don't go often in the warmer months cause I still go boxing in Arden Hills and run/walk/bike outside....welcome to the NW, we love it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_gym-recs-xp-nest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:81b15759-a1a5-4cb1-a388-467cf1aa62e4Post:ed84a5e4-e37c-450e-bc7e-7b41ac893f9a">Re: Gym Recs? (XP with Nest)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I signed up with the YMCA not too long ago and they were running a special for a personal trainer. It was pretty decent deal for 6 sessions plus an consult for about $95 bucks which includes the $25 sign up fee. <strong>So it's kinda like 7 sessions for $70. </strong>Also look into the paying classes. They are smaller in attendance and you get a little personal training in them. I've liked my trainer a lot,  it's been a great kick-start to a new routine.  BTW totally recommend a BOSU class. It's tough in a good a** kicking way. 
    Posted by TaffetaDarlingTaffeta[/QUOTE]

<div>holy crap that's cheap! Even on campus (I work at the U), PT sessions are like $16/piece when you buy a package.  mmmmk. I guess I'll be calling the Y today :)</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I belong to the Y and the kids are only in the poop area, or in the entry way by the kids stuff.   I love the classes and the equipment.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_gym-recs-xp-nest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:81b15759-a1a5-4cb1-a388-467cf1aa62e4Post:e959d6bf-8de1-4a0f-89bd-521682a62d0f">Re: Gym Recs? (XP with Nest)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I belong to the Y and the kids are only in the <strong>poop</strong> area, or in the entry way by the kids stuff.   I love the classes and the equipment.  
    Posted by kari_lynn222[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm assuming you meant 'pool', but this is even better. ;)</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_gym-recs-xp-nest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:81b15759-a1a5-4cb1-a388-467cf1aa62e4Post:c03b9400-4033-462c-9d8d-5885a4e733b5">Re: Gym Recs? (XP with Nest)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gym Recs? (XP with Nest) : I'm assuming you meant 'pool', but this is even better. ;)

LMAO!!  Whoops!!!!    That is so funny!!!   Yes I meant pool  ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards