September 2012 Weddings

Under the dress accessories question.....(sorry a little long but PIP)

So I have everything purchased for my accessories and I love them all individually, but I'm starting to think under my dress is going to be a hot mess because I'm trying to do too much and everything doesn't really fit together.  In realty I suppose it doesn't matter because people will only get a small glipse during the garter toss and FI will see the rest and by then we are married and he's stuck with me haha.  But, I still wanted a second opinion from you ladies because well, you are the ones who understand my obsessing over inane details! 

So the first thing I bought was my shoes.  Our colors are royal blue and black and I saw these and fell in fricking love!  They are totally my style and it's been killing me not to wear them out already.  They are definitely not "bridal" but I personally shuddered at the thought of buying white shoes (no offense to anyone it's just not me).

Then FI told me how he wanted fishnets under my dress!  He loves them and I thought that would be so fun.  I already have black ones and thought black under my dress would be a little extreme.  But I asked him because 99% of my bedroom attire is black because it is what he likes.  He wanted white so it was special for the wedding.  Beyond that he didn't know what I picked.  I found these that I thought were super fun and a little different from anything I have.  I really wanted something toeless since I have open toe shoes but those are hard to come by.  But I got these in WHITE:

Then I made my own garters with our rival school colors as a surprise to him....

Then because I practically know my feet are going to hate me if I wear those 5" heels all night and that I'll probably fall on my face walking down the aisle and/or dancing my first dance in those, I bought a second pair as my ceremony/first dance shoes and my blue pair will be my reception shoes.

So obviously you can see I'm all over the place!  I think the white fishnets with the silver shoes won't be terrible as far as color matching, but a lot of my foot shows and the stockings cover my whole foot.  Should I just save the fishnets for the wedding night and skip them at the wedding all together?  Their primary purpose was a tease to FI but I just feel like they are what's throwing everything.  Or am I way too concerned with how it'll look considering I have a big dress to cover it all?  Blah....my brain exhausts me!

Re: Under the dress accessories question.....(sorry a little long but PIP)

• My colours are red/black, my shoes are red, I am wearing a Toronto Maple Leafs garter lol it TOTALLY doesn't match but its a surprise to FI :)
  • In my opinion, I'd skip the fishnets. It does seem like you'll have a lot going on if you wear them and with open toe heels, it may look weird with your nets poking through:) Like you said, you could always put them on when you're getting ready for the night to end and you and your husband will be leaving... then you could still surprise him at home or the hotel or wherever you're going.
  • The shoes seem like a smart move. I like the blue ones and you are very wise to bring back ups for comfort. The garters are really cute too (what school is that?). Is that the exact set up you want for the fishnets? That looks extremely uncomfortable, and you might want to look into it more to see if thats something you want to be stuck in all day/nite.

For their wedding, my mom put on a really ugly, knee high argyle sock right before the garter toss. So when she pulled up her dress, everyone got a good laugh. So not everything has to be done and kept on all night if it only has one purpose (such as garters and fishnets). I actually might do the same thing my mom did as a surprise to her and my dad lol.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_under-the-dress-accessories-questionsorry-a-little-long-but-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:e2064fda-7959-4126-b6f2-c6ea20f60453Post:140ae6b8-9af7-413e-9059-3083f104fce1">Re: Under the dress accessories question.....(sorry a little long but PIP)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In my opinion, I'd skip the fishnets. It does seem like you'll have a lot going on if you wear them and with open toe heels, it may look weird with your nets poking through:) <strong>Like you said, you could always put them on when you're getting ready for the night to end and you and your husband will be leaving</strong>... then you could still surprise him at home or the hotel or wherever you're going.
    Posted by magnumti3[/QUOTE]

I like that idea a lot actually!  I'm only afraid he'll be disappointed when he reached up my dress for the garter and there are no fishnets.  He knows they exist just not exactly what they look like so maybe I'll ask him if it's okay not to wear them. 

While we are talking about the reception to wedding night transition...my dress is pretty complicated (corset back plus a zipper plus snaps) and I'm worried about FI getting me out of it haha.  Anyone have a strategy so your dress isn't a mood killer?  I'm thinking I may just have to hike the skirt up over my head for round one so the excitement doesn't turn into frustration haha. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_under-the-dress-accessories-questionsorry-a-little-long-but-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:e2064fda-7959-4126-b6f2-c6ea20f60453Post:70802ab3-6adb-486c-a53a-27b6351fcddd">Re: Under the dress accessories question.....(sorry a little long but PIP)</a>:
    [QUOTE]The shoes seem like a smart move. I like the blue ones and you are very wise to bring back ups for comfort. <strong>The garters are really cute too (what school is that?). Is that the exact set up you want for the fishnets? That looks extremely uncomfortable, </strong>and you might want to look into it more to see if thats something you want to be stuck in all day/nite. For their wedding, my mom put on a really ugly, knee high argyle sock right before the garter toss. So when she pulled up her dress, everyone got a good laugh. So not everything has to be done and kept on all night if it only has one purpose (such as garters and fishnets). I actually might do the same thing my mom did as a surprise to her and my dad lol.
    Posted by CowgirlK39[/QUOTE]

They are half University of Virginia (my school), half Virginia Tech (FI's school) garters!  They aren't uncomfortable but I've made my peace with lingerie.  I'm really against things that aren't sexy so years ago I adjusted myself to thongs, lace, etc and don't wear anything but now.  So I'm definitely more concerned with look than feel because I'll be okay!  But I like putting them on just before the garter toss too!  Thanks ladies!
  • you could always go to the restroom after the reception and slip the fish nets on. I think they would look weird with your shoes since they are so open. you dont want grandma knowing your sexy secret lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers image165 image100 image38
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_under-the-dress-accessories-questionsorry-a-little-long-but-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:e2064fda-7959-4126-b6f2-c6ea20f60453Post:e8d48341-362c-43ed-bb46-26efcc635794">Re: Under the dress accessories question.....(sorry a little long but PIP)</a>:
    [QUOTE]you could always go to the restroom after the reception and slip the fish nets on. I think they would look weird with your shoes since they are so open. you dont want grandma knowing your sexy secret lol
    Posted by jezpez717[/QUOTE]

Hahaha under normal circumstances that would be true.  But my grandma won't be there since a black man dating her granddaughter was already too scandelous for her to handle and we don't speak.  The only grandparent we'll have is my moms dad and he probably won't watch at all.  In case he does I have already given FI strict instructions there will be none of the head under the dress to get the garter business!  FI's side (the entire side) is pressuring for a little mixed baby so they'd (awkwardly) encourage that haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards