California-San Diego

Dress shopping advice needed

Hello, I am a newly engaged bride. I, of course wanted to get my dress shopping started. We we will getting married next summer. Does anyone know some good places to go in San Diego to dress shop? I went to David's Bridal this weekend, and they were nice and I found a couple I like, but I want to make sure I explore my options. We are on a budget, I don't want to spend over 1,000 on my dress, so boutique places are probably out. I want a simple, yet elegant gown, probably lace. If anyone has any ideas for lower priced gowns, let me know. Or is David's the cheapest I could find? Also, I want to go dress shopping again next week with all my girlfriends. Can we go to more than one place in a day? Or is this too much? Also, if I find a discount store is it okay to take my whole bridal party with me?Thank you, in advance, for your advice. So many details...so little time. :)

Re: Dress shopping advice needed

• shelley6shelley6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!!!! There are lots of great local places where you can find some bargains. I would recommend Demetrio's, Alfred Angelo, The Bridal Veil (might be more on the expensive side, but 1000's of choices) Bridal and Tuxedo Galleria (lots of gowns on sale, but not the best reviews online), and 2000 Dreams. That's all I can remember for now. I actually purchased mine in Buffalo (where I grew up) and am waiting for it to be made and shipped out here! Good luck and have fun! So far trying on dresses has been the best part for me! -Shelley
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement!I got my dress at A Nite on the Town in La Jolla, they don't have a TON of dresses, but a fairly decent selection.  I'd also suggest 2000 Dreams Bridal (in Kearny Mesa).  I looked at PreVue in Grossmont Center as well and thought they had a good selection.  If you tell them you're looking to keep it under 1k all of those places should be albe to help you out.  GL!Oh, also, it's MUCH easier to look if you have an appointment, so I'd recommend that where ever you choose to go.
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations!! I originally had appointments are 4 places. Went to David's and was not happy with the service. Went to Alfred Angelo, worked with Monica who is AMAZING, and found a perfect dress for well under $1000.I wouldn't schedule more than 2 or 3 places in one day...it gets draining! GL!
  • wendysandiegowendysandiego member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Bridals By Susanti in Escondido, and had the greatest experience. They have a LOT of dresses--Casablanca, Maggie Sottero, etc. I got my Maggie for $800 AFTER taxes and any alterations. Make an appointment, definitely. If you can, see if Hannah is working when you go. She was the consultant that helped me. She was so great. I wouldn't go to more than 2 stores in one day. Each time I went to Susanti's, I was there 3 hours!
  • bmd14bmd14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I worked with Monica at Alfred Angelo as well and I loved her!!!! I got my dress there for under $500and couldn't be happier. Highly recommend them.
  • sandyeggosandyeggo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats to you!  I orginally started shopping on line with JCrew.com.  Then I got caught up in the bridal world and ordered a custom dress rushed for arrival two weeks before my wedding from Here Comes The Bride in Mission Valley, SD. I was very worried about signing the contract but trusting the sales person, I signed it.  HCTB failed to have my dress delivered in time for proper alterations.  I was told by HCTB that my dress will arrive on 3 days before I needed it.  So as a back up plan, I ordered two dresses for next day delivery from JCrew.com.  JCrew took the dress I didn't wear back with no questions asked, as well as had my money refunded right away.  The HCTB contract states that they are not responsible for ANYTHING which includes your dress not showing up on time for alterations or not show up at all. Now, I have a beautiful dress from JCrew.com that I was able to have altered and ready in 6 days!  And I have a designer custom gown from this year's collection that I won't ever get to wear.  I haven't even tried it on yet and it is still in the packaging it came in with tags on it. As far as other shops in SD,  I had a very good experience with Anne at The Bliss in Del Mar Flowerhill mall - she was very understanding to my low budget and MBride in La Jolla off Pearl Street was very helpful too!  If you sign a contract for a dress like I did, just make sure to note everything you need on the contract with the bridal store's Manager's initials next to your notes.  Oh and go with your first instincts!Wink Good luck and let me know how it goes! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards