Wedding Woes
Options

FB Debate Poll

There's a FB debate going on right now about this story .. http://news.aol.com/article/stacy-horton-abandons-son-to-save/789410 

Who would you have saved & why?
BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: FB Debate Poll

• Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, if it were a "There is no way to save him" situation with the son and the wife was more accessible, it's best to save who you CAN. 
  • Options
    **Stinky!****Stinky!** member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gah, what an awful judgment call. I think, had he saved his child instead, there'd still be debate that he should have saved his wife. I can't imagine the guilt they're both feeling.

Me? I would've saved my spouse, too. 
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't imagine ever being in this situation, and that man will be haunted by this for the rest of his life. I think I'd have done the same thing (ie saved the person who was easiest to save). If trained rescue workers couldn't even get to the son, then the father would have been risking all three of their lives to get him rather than his wife.

Are there really people saying he should have picked the kid?
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    TD there are always people that like to think they have all the answers, but lucky for them they aren't ever in situations that actually require quick and active decision-making.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Y'know, I took lifeguard training classes.  And that man did EXACTLY what they tell you to do.  You make a split second assessment and a split second decision to save who you can.  You don't endanger yourself or the other person's life by attempting to save someone you can't.

Those comments are disgusting.  If he had died, trying to save his son and his wife died too, they'd probably call him stupid for that one too.  And this sound like an ordinary, normal guy.  Not someone who can hold his breath underwater for 2 minutes and swim in deeper waters.  Hell, I doubt I could swim all the way down to the 12 foot bottom anymore.

Both of those people are going to be scarred for the rest of their lives in various ways.  I wonder if their marriage can even survive it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_fb-debate-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:a4f9cc07-6350-46b4-8492-ab351f7d84bfPost:fe6c924f-b955-4b11-9b57-4417f91a8320">Re: FB Debate Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are there really people saying he should have picked the kid?
    Posted by TheDuckis[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are .. someone said, 'Spouses come a dime a dozen, but children are gifts from God!'
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    jessjo04jessjo04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, how awful knowing that your child is dying and you can't do anything about it. I think he did the right thing though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jessjo04jessjo04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ugh, how awful knowing that your child is dying and you can't do anything about it. I think he did the right thing though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    L_WoodsL_Woods member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't like that the headline says he abandoned his son in favor of his wife. He went for his son, then got his wife, then went back to the son but couldn't save him because of distance and events that happened while he was rescuing the wife. Sucks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That poor man. This reminds me of the mom who had to choose between her two young sons during the 2004 Indonesian Tsunami. 

The mother managed to grab hold of a tree with her two sons but surging water made it nearly impossible to hold on to the boys and the tree. If she let go of the tree to maintain her hold on the boys the whole family would have drowned. She felt she had no other choice but to let go of the older boy. Although chances of survival were slim, she felt he would have a better chance because he was older and stronger than the younger brother. By some miracle the entire family survived the ordeal.

It's so easy to armchair quarterback from the safety of one's desktop. Those idiots should thank their lucky stars that they haven't face such a horrendous decision. I wouldn't be surprised if the most difficult decision they've ever had to make would be to decide which color socks to wear.
    MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]Yes, they are .. someone said, 'Spouses come a dime a dozen, but children are gifts from God!'
    Posted by HisEarth.[/QUOTE]

WHAT!?!?!?!  That is all kinds of stupid. 

I think he did the right thing.  He tried to save who he could rather than letting the whole family die.  And geez, it's not like this guy wanted his son to die.  He didn't push them into the river.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards