Just Engaged and Proposals

When is everyone getting married?

I just recently got engaged (4-21-2012) and we were orginally thinking (4-17-2015) for our wedding date but idk, is that to far away? should i even think about planning if i keep the date in april of 2015??? I just dont know. can someone please help me???

Re: When is everyone getting married?

• redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_when-is-everyone-getting-married?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:23898c64-e0ed-4145-b488-527abff143d4Post:ad534dea-f7c9-4a69-be7e-26133a8ab24d">When is everyone getting married?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just recently got engaged (4-21-2012) and we were orginally thinking (4-17-2015) for our wedding date but idk, is that to far away? should i even think about planning if i keep the date in april of 2015??? I just dont know. can someone please help me???
    Posted by LCEllington[/QUOTE]

We can't tell you what is best for you.

But I had a long engagement (four years). Because of school, job, budget, etc. If you are having a long engagement, I would only talk big picture for now (budget, date, formal, causal, etc). Don't do any actual planning until your are about 1.5 - 1 year out. Things, ideas, and friendships change. Don't spend money, invite people, or talk about the wedding party now. As it could come back and bite you later.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • We had a 2 year engagement and the last 6 month were unbearable.  I wouldn't recommend longer than that, but that's just me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't plan anything this far out if you keep that date. So many things can change within the next few years. We got engaged June 2010 and are getting married Sept 2012. I have to agree that it's been long and these last few months are dragging. If you plan on keeping that date, don't do anything yet.
  • It really depends on where you are in your life.  Like PPs said, if you'e in school for example it might make sense.

Personally, I think 3 years is a really long engagement.  I'll be engaged for 18 months before getting married and I am already starting to feel like its an eternity.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I  got engaged April 2011 and am getting married September 2012. That was only a year and a half and I'm ready to hop into a time machine and just do it already!!! Looking back, I would have planned for a 1 year engagement.
    0403_0929W BabyFruit Ticker
  • We will have been engaged for about 20 months by the time we get married. I wanted to finish school, have enough time to plan, and we were moving.

Pick a date/year that works for you and your FI. If that is 2015 then I wouldn't start planning anything, until 2013.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We will be engaged for 1 year 6 days when we get married. We knew we wanted to get married in 2012, and 12/28/12 just happened to work out best with our work schedules and finances.

Congratulations, and best of luck to you! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was thinking of an April 2015 wedding as well. Due to school,budget and living situations. I am going to shop for venues, so I can secure the date and prices for this year, but I am not really doing anything beyond that. I plan on researching colors I may want or things I would liek to include in the ceremony/reception, but I will not be buying anything until about a year out from the date of my wedding. I hope this helps.
  • Oh by the way I got engaged on the same day!!! It's funny that we were thinking of the same month and year. I want April 24th, since its close to our engagement date.
  • We got engaged June 6th 2011 and are getting married May 19 2013. We decided on a 2 year engagement so that we could both graduate from school and save up enough money. We have almost a year left, and I can tell you it has felt like forever. But while the wait at times is unbearable, it is also fun.

I wouldn't do an engagement of more than 2 years...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_when-is-everyone-getting-married?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:23898c64-e0ed-4145-b488-527abff143d4Post:7b7ebd24-1f43-46bf-9083-51e9d111d288">Re: When is everyone getting married?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was thinking of an April 2015 wedding as well. Due to school,budget and living situations. I am going to shop for venues, so I can secure the date and prices for this year, but I am not really doing anything beyond that. I plan on researching colors I may want or things I would liek to include in the ceremony/reception, but I will not be buying anything until about a year out from the date of my wedding. I hope this helps.
    Posted by Psych819[/QUOTE]

<div>im thinking of a May 2015 wedding and we are doing ^ we are just doing research on venues and colors. the only catch for me is that we have to have almost everything set a year before mecause i will be in med school overseas so for that reason. we are also waiting for both of us to graduate and for him to get a steady job for a while since we will have bills, housing etc ti pay for. i think it is totally rational to have a 3 year engagement. dont go crazy planning yet because that could backfire on you. just really take the most part of the enaggement to enjoy yourselves and your relationship. try to do new things and just enjoy this stage. </div>

• random4180random4180 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    We're getting married exactly one year from our engagement. In our talks about marriage, I'd always mention that I didn't want to be engaged for a long time or without setting a date. I was happy to wait as long as we needed to but once we were engaged, a wedding was going to be actively planned (no being engaged just to "be engaged," you know?) We were together for four years before we got engaged and I would have been fine to have been un-engaged for longer if we weren't going to get married in the near future. You have to do what works for you, only you know what will work for you. For us, we were out of school, living together, and talking kids in the next five years- it made sense for us to get engaged and immediately plan a wedding with our timeline. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We got engaged at the end of August 2011.  Our wedding is mid September of 2012.  I think a year was a good amount for us.
  • I got 'engaged' around December and started planning in January.  Some days I wish the time was longer, other days I cannot wait for the date to get here. But we've been together almost 14 years, so a long 'engagement' would have been odd (to us).
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • We got engaged 2 weeks ago when we set a date and booked our venue... had been talking about getting married for the last 2 months. Getting married June 8, 2013. We wish it was sooner but in the grand scheme are glad we have a year to plan, save, and prepare. 

This whole process is very personal, so there's really no right or wrong way to do things. Just keep realistic timing in mind when planning to book locations and vendors, etc. PP's are right, 12 to 14 months is the right window to allow.

Congratulations, good luck, and have fun! 

Anniversary
  • In Response to When is everyone getting married?:

I'm in the same boat as you!.  We got engaged right around this past Christmas but we won't be getting married until May 2015.  It's whatever works for you.  Ideally I would like to get married a lot sooner, especially because my fiance and I had already been dating for 4 years, but with our finances and the fact that we're both in school, it just doesn't work for us to do it any closer. I'm planning for our wedding date to be only a few days after I graduate from veterinary school though, I'll practically be running down the aisle!  But definitely don't start planning anything in earnest until the date gets closer.  I would see what venues might look nice, colors, etc, but nothing serious yet.  And be forewarned, it is torture because you'll want to plan everything now, and everyone will look at you like you have five heads when you tell them how far away your wedding date is but just ignore them!
  • We got engaged APR29-12 and we're planning an OCT2013 wedding.  We knew we wanted a Fall wedding and we both love halloween and are thinking of doing a masquerade theme. :)

~d
  • We got engaged on April 20,2012 and are getting married on August 11,2012!!!  It has been frantic trying to get this all done.  I have a group of friends helping, but it is overwhelmning and if one more vendor tells me I started planning too late I will snap!!!  I have my dress on order, a venue, caterer, DJ, Photo Booth,....meeting with a decorator for venue decorations..it is so expensive and more than I ever thought it would be. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards