Iowa-Des Moines
Options

They gave away my reception site....so upset

Today was the first day anybody could get to our reception site to sign the contract or pay in Mason City. They told me they would hold the site for a week until I could get down there. Today when my mom went to pay they told her they gave it to someone else!!! I've finally stopped crying. We've told everone who needs to fly in that it was going to be Sept 18th so I don't know who has booked flights for that weekend. Nothing else is available... the only idea is an outdoors reception but so afraid of weather issues... Anyone have any wonderful brainstorms?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: They gave away my reception site....so upset

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That is so frustrating! Maybe you could try the halls of bigger churches in the area or other not so popular places like administration building halls, school halls, etc. - some of them don't look bad at all, especially with a little decoration. In mid-September in Iowa I would not trust the weather outdoors. How many guests are you planning on?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    By the way, being an optimist I can't help asking, are you sure there was not some miscommunication and they did not actually hold it for you and maybe not realize your mom was coming to make a payment on your behalf? I can't believe they would give it to someone else the very day they promised to keep it for you another week...
  • Options
    megmarissamegmarissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope they gave it away... they admit that. They said the old lady working the book didn't know what she was doing and accepted another registration and got the moneyh. She didn't look at all the books... we were planning between 200-250.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    First of all, I am so sorry!

I am not familiar with Mason City...how far away is it from Clear Lake?  The Ball room in Clear Lake is fabulous, though pricey. 

Another idea is to look at surrounding towns.  Perhaps a town close by has a hall available?  I don't know if it's a midwest thing but there are the elk lodges, and other "clubs" that have halls for rent.

Good luck, and again, I'm sorry.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding will be outside, and the reception in the barn.  We have tents to rent to put over the tables outside the barn.  If it rains for the ceremony, then we will either have the ceremony in the church down the road or in the barn.  When my sis got married outside at our farm, it started to sprinkle at the ceremony, but then it stopped.  It stayed cloudy which made beautiful pictures.  Our wedding is September 4th.  We are having a fire on the driveway, so if it's chilly people can go stand by the fire.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked into other venues in the Mason City Area?  Clear Lake? Osage?  My fiance is from Mason City...Isn't there something called The Music Man Square.  I also have a friend having her reception at the Holiday Inn in Mason. Good luck!!    
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my friends had there's at the holiday inn, Mason City... maybe try that? i don't know where the site was that gave your hall away. Maybe by now you have this resolved. Good luck!
    ~basquing in the wedded bliss~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards