Canada-Ontario
Options

Hiring an Emcee

Hey ladies,

I had an appt with an entertainment  company that is contracted with the banquet hall that we are using. I got my pricing today and it was 350 dollars more than my budget. 

We were thinking of having our own Emcee like a family friend but she said there is a big difference when you hire someone that does it for a living. I'm sort of torn with this because I'm sure I can save quite a bit if we don't hire an emcee.

So did you use a family friend or you hired someone? Does it really make a big difference?

Re: Hiring an Emcee

• Options
    colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All the weddings I've been to have had a family member as the emcee. I think it's more personal.
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used DH's uncle.  He has done a lot of public speaking throughout his career (he was a high school principal and did some motivational speaking to students on the side), and he has been the MC before at other weddings as well.  The personal touch really makes a difference.

You could always pick two people as well - one from each side of the family, or just two of your good friends that are particularly hilarious.  They really just have to introduce people giving speeches and let people know what's going on throughout the night - I don't think a professional is needed!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sister used our uncle and he was incredible - like people said - the personal touch is best. But do make sure if you go that route you pick someone who won't be too nervous - doesn't "hate" marriage - and won't get piss drunk first thing and say wildly inappropriate things.

I'm going with a close friend of my fh and myself -- fh is a comedian as is our emcee. He does a lot of 'hosting' gigs so I know he'll be perfect!
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We asked our good friend - the most charming guy we know - to do it. If you konw someone who would be comfortable and do a good job, it's totally not necessary to hire someone. I went to one wedding where the DJ acted also as the MC, and although he did a good job, it really lacked the personal touch.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hey ladies,

Thanks so much. Yes my original plan was to get someone in the family to be the MC. Part of it too I am on a tight budget and simply cannot afford to hire one ayway.

I'm curious as to how much have you paid for the DJ and the use of any basic lighting for the dancing part. I don't want anything too extravagant and just really looking to hire a dj and use the lighting at the baquet hall.

We get charged for not using the in house DJ. I met with a company and the pricing that we got for the DJ, MC, in house lighting, music video library and screens is 1845 this includes taxes. Is this a good price? I seem to think this is too expensive. I am now just looking to get the DJ and the lighting. I don't think we need the screens and music video (whatever music is playing, there is a music video that goes with it and would be shown on the screen).

What have you done at your wedding?
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad you've decided to use a family member as emcee.  That is a good choice.

Re: DJ, it depends a lot on what services they provide and what you really want/need.  The the ones we have been looking at are music from 5 PM to the end of the night, 2 light features, they bring all equipment for $475.  We don't want or need the music videos or screens.  I'd shop around some more, there are tons tons tons of DJs and you can get them much cheaper than $1800.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The DJ that my fiancé and I have hired is charging us $1000 for the music from 430 to the end of the night and we can have him MC the evening as well for free. We don’t really have anyone that we really feel comfortable doing it as of now so we may actually go with him (especially since it’s free). We won’t go with the videos or anything but we did get some lighting . Not sure how much he charges because we got them as an add on for free when we booked at the show. To me the $1800 seems kinda steep but I am not sure on the value of all the extras. To me, I don't think you need the video's - the music should be enough.

Here's the website for our DJ if you wanna look into other options:
     http://bounceproductions.net.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_hiring-emcee?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:fa3cd26c-b391-4b6c-8e7a-422611b3d012Post:547bb8f9-77ad-4df6-8aa7-e07723be7beb">Re: Hiring an Emcee</a>:
    [QUOTE]The DJ that my fiancé and I have hired is charging us $1000 for the music from 430 to the end of the night and we can have him MC the evening as well for free. We don’t really have anyone that we really feel comfortable doing it as of now so we may actually go with him (especially since it’s free). We won’t go with the videos or anything but we did get some lighting . Not sure how much he charges because we got them as an add on for free when we booked at the show. To me the $1800 seems kinda steep but I am not sure on the value of all the extras. To me, I don't think you need the video's - the music should be enough. Here's the website for our DJ if you wanna look into other options:   <a href="http://bounceproductions.net" rel="nofollow">http://bounceproductions.net</a> .
    Posted by ktelfer[/QUOTE]
    Hey there,

are you having you reception at a banquet hall? i just found out the pricing of the DJ its 995 and for the lighting its 400. Still steep i think. As I mentioned even if we get someone from outside we have to top off that price with 350 because they charge us for not using the in house DJ. I just can't believe its 400 just to use the lights that is already installed in the ceiling anyway. How hard can it be to switch the light on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance has an uncle who is a local DJ. I personally haven't seen him at a gig, and the only people who have are my fiance and future mother and father in law. It's not that I don't trust their opinions, but some of the places he DJ's at are little 'hole in the wall' type bars among weddings. I'm a little skeptical because I don't know what kind of entertainer his uncle is. I don't want to be rude and have his uncle as a guest at the wedding thinking 'why didn't they ask me' but as I said I haven't seen him as a DJ, how can we settle this without hurting family members' feelings?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance has an uncle who is a local DJ. I personally haven't seen him at a gig, and the only people who have are my fiance and future mother and father in law. It's not that I don't trust their opinions, but some of the places he DJ's at are little 'hole in the wall' type bars among weddings. I'm a little skeptical because I don't know what kind of entertainer his uncle is. I don't want to be rude and have his uncle as a guest at the wedding thinking 'why didn't they ask me' but as I said I haven't seen him as a DJ, how can we settle this without hurting family members' feelings?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards